NSW How to Use MinView + How to find free geological maps

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A video I put together on how to use MinView. Hope it helps. 👍😀

https://minview.geoscience.nsw.gov.au/
Annie

How to find free geological maps NSW:

https://www.regional.nsw.gov.au/meg/geoscience/products-and-data/maps

Hi AnnieL
I’ve watched your video a few times and they’re really helpful on getting some ideas on where to go.
But I’m super new and confused as to what the information I am seeing actually means.
For example. I’ve been to Oallen Ford twice now, with my permit. I’ve had a look at MinView and applied some filters to the areas that I was prospecting. eg crown land.

So I can go anywhere that is crown land? Because the nsw fossicking guide says “fossickers do not have the right to enter crown land. Prior to fossicking on crown land,consent from the appropriate authority is required”

When I apply the same crown lands filter to a spot just down the road like Mongarlow river from the bridge. It looks practically looks the same. But reading through the forum I can see that a lot of this is private property that is hard to get permission to prospect. Is there another filter that I should be applying?
Or is there somewhere that explains what all these details mean.
I like the idea of exploring these spots but also don’t want to overstep and get chased of an angry farmers property.
Thanks for taking the time to make these videos. They’re very helpful for someone who has no idea!

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• 32D2686C-C42B-478F-8B82-3ACE72A569D9.jpeg
    32D2686C-C42B-478F-8B82-3ACE72A569D9.jpeg
    12.1 MB · Views: 0
  • C711E24C-552F-4F7A-89E3-43C2D6B362A9.jpeg
    C711E24C-552F-4F7A-89E3-43C2D6B362A9.jpeg
    14 MB · Views: 0
Unfortunately the land access situation in NSW is extraordinarily complex, especially for those just starting out. But you have indeed found the thread that (hopefully) clarifies and explains everything you need to know.

Everywhere I want to prospect locally.
To be honest probably spend more time on private property accesses than Crown Land now but have permits here locally for more Crown Lands than I'll ever cover.
Thanks mbasko
Guess there’s no harm in applying for whatever I can. I can only see myself getting out once fortnight at most. I’ll have more permits than gold the way I’m going.

Latest posts