NSW Diamonds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, :) would like to start a topic about our very own Diamonds here in NSW.

So far we have the Oberon diamonds Pics, but haven't found the famous Binda diamonds or Crookwell to Mittagong area.

If anyone have their own collection it would be great to see them in pics.

1382051397_oberon_diamonds.jpg

It would be great to have an idea what to look out for, before we toss them. :D

Cheers,
"B"

I agree, you have my attention on this one as well.
I have read that there is a lost diamond reef in the crookwell area but never tried to locate it. It would be interesting to see the info people have on NSW Diamonds.

diamonds in Mittagong but you are not allowed in water catchment big fines going in there :)

Hi All

Great stones. Just to let you know to be careful with uncut diamonds. If you want to send or take them overseas to be cut just remember that removing diamonds from Australia without permission is illegal. Its like heroin or guns or anything like that. The same applies for bringing uncut diamonds into the country. Oz customs got some the other day and they are very serious about it. The diamonds were taken away and destroyed - I kid you not. Did not hear waht happened to the person who was caught but I suspect it was not pleasant.

Araluen

Many thanks for the info SWright, :)

I think it is easier to find heroin or guns nowadays here locally than Diamonds if you know what i mean, :D.
As for bringing diamonds here, you will need to get it cut and certificate of purchase from overseas and then declare it to the custom for tax purposes.
(well that's what I've been told otherwise).

Cheers,
"B"

Hello. Ive started trying to get into an old diamond mine here down jindy way. its over the mountain from where i live. Probably closer to delegate than jindy, its called the Snodgrass mine and is in what looks like to be the remnants of an old meteor hole. a 3/4 round hole with hills on 3 sides. they used to get alot here and gold as well. the main part is under grazing and farm land now.
ive heard of a few guys looking into the hills around it. just have to be careful where you go as it borders the national park. ill be heading there once i have some more info on how the diamonds were found. ive no experience on diamonds so dont know if they were loose rocks or in a reef type thing. any info would be great as its close to where i live. cheers

I saw about 10 uncut Copeton Dam Diamonds yesterday at the Inverell Tourist Info centre on display. Photos do not do rough Diamonds any justice, they look amazing when you get to see them for real. The gem and mineral display there is pretty cool.

G'day

this is an image of the 'subduction model' thought to create our diamonds (model for the Bingara region)
1384768832_lge_subduction_dia_model.jpg

Nobody is 100% sure though because no primary diatremes or pipes have been located to date. I did hear a theory that there is a thermal hot-spot that the east side of NSW has been moving over as the continental plate drifts north. I don't know if there is solid evidence of this but the map of occurences does suggest this could be a possibility if you combine it with the subduction theory of formation.

A thorough search of the DIGS database will turn up plenty of interesting reports and info.

I've entertained the pipedream (literally ;) ) of hunting down a 'diamond pipe', as have many before me, and done a fair bit of research but thats as far as I've got. The mystery continues......

Cheers

Chimpy

Nice piece Varts! Always loved seeing Diamonds in the rough.

I'm blown away to see Diamonds located near Brewarrina on that map. I would've thought the country out here was too young for Diamond (or gem) formation, but I guess that's not the case. It's only about 1.5hr run West from here so I'll have to make a trip across one day and have a look around.

The things you learn! :)
Cheers,
Shauno.

Sieves,read up on gold mines in the area,they mentioned about finding diamonds under a 1 carat whilst looking for gold.so of we went ,not a fossicking area and the few locals were keen to see what I was upto,old farmer told me of a cattle hand at the time would spend all of his time down the creek bend getting gems after work every day .Cant wait to hit this place with my HB ;)

Looked for ruby ,but none,but the shading in between mudgee/ Wellington is getting warm to the spot I go ,never had much luck on the cudgeegong but on the creeks coming off I go alright.very lonely spot .....

Latest posts