North QLD gold detecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes mate and it was only twelve months ago this month on the 27th that Brissie had its floods and after the rain came the wind and as the ground could’t take any more water, one of our large Cypress was uprooted just enough to cause me some angst but it was uprighted and staked with 60mm x 1metre solid steel rods and it ain’t goin nowhere. Stay safe mate and if it’s flooded, forget it. Cheers Mackka

Yes mate and it was only twelve months ago this month on the 27th that Brissie had its floods and after the rain came the wind and as the ground could’t take any more water, one of our large Cypress was uprooted just enough to cause me some angst but it was uprighted and staked with 60mm x 1metre solid steel rods and it ain’t goin nowhere. Stay safe mate and if it’s flooded, forget it. Cheers Mackka
True Mackka I remember about six odd years ago Gympie went under twice in one month o_O I think in remote areas the flood waters recede quicker than in built up areas, basically apart from being cut off from surrounding areas the damage to fencing, roads etc being the biggest issue. Also due to remoteness, nearly all have stocks of food and fuel, gen sets that run their whole house and access to multiple vehicles and machinery of every description readily available. The change in vegetation is amazing and nature certainly puts on a show that changes the whole landscape. 👍

We just had a week out at Flat Creek, still water around in the creeks, good for having a pan or sluice, but rapidly drying up.
Few people there over Easter, might get more popular now it’s cooling down !
No gold for us this time, but at Least I know where I WONT go next time !
Amazing place though and incredible wildlife 👍

We just had a week out at Flat Creek, still water around in the creeks, good for having a pan or sluice, but rapidly drying up.
Few people there over Easter, might get more popular now it’s cooling down !
No gold for us this time, but at Least I know where I WONT go next time !
Amazing place though and incredible wildlife 👍
What a the grass situation please?

Some years ago our club was out panning. When we packed up to leave one member stayed behind to try that one last pan.
He told me later that as he panned at the water's edge, a large tree, its roots loosened by recent heavy rain, came crashing downwithout warning.
It missed him by inches. ( Not centimeters. I said this was some years ago.) If it had landed squarely on him he believes that he would have been driven down into the river and would have disappeared without trace leaving only an abandoned vehicle to show that some-one had once been there.
A bit fanciful perhaps but it illustrates the point that , when fossicking in remote areas, one should always have a mate.

G'day all,

Heading up to North QLD for work mid next year and thinking about adding an extra 4 days while up there to go for a swing.
From Broken Hill NSW so flying up and hiring a 4wd while up there.
Just tossing up where to go while based around Cairns type area and happy to drive up to 5ish hours to get to an area to spend a few nights.
Looking at a few pay and detect options such as:
Flat Creek Station
Western Creek Station
Gilbertson Station
Palmer Station
Any advice or further recommendations would be awesome and sorry for the long winded post 😅.
Merry Christmas and happy prospecting!!
Hi mate if your connected on the Web you can look up palmerville Station they offer camping and what you find is yours to keep its the same Station that gold rush was filmed at or alternatively you can just head up to palmer River and the may town area plenty of area if you know where to look .cheers muzz
[Mod edit: Refer post below from Palmer River leaseholder]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi mate if your connected on the Web you can look up palmerville Station they offer camping and what you find is yours to keep its the same Station that gold rush was filmed at or alternatively you can just head up to palmer River and the may town area plenty of area if you know where to look .cheers muzz
Partially incorrect information.
You CANNOT LEGALLY prospect on the Palmer river or anywhere near Maytown without permission.

Last edited:

Latest posts