North QLD gold detecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day all,

Heading up to North QLD for work mid next year and thinking about adding an extra 4 days while up there to go for a swing.
From Broken Hill NSW so flying up and hiring a 4wd while up there.
Just tossing up where to go while based around Cairns type area and happy to drive up to 5ish hours to get to an area to spend a few nights.
Looking at a few pay and detect options such as:
Flat Creek Station
Western Creek Station
Gilbertson Station
Palmer Station
Any advice or further recommendations would be awesome and sorry for the long winded post 😅.
Merry Christmas and happy prospecting!!

We recently camped a couple of nights at Flat Creek Station and couldn't be happier. We never saw anybody connected with the station because we did the self-check-in thing and just picked a sheltered spot not far from the toilets and showers. There's nothing fancy here but you can't expect much for $10 a night.

You don't need a 4WD to get there or even once you're there if you don't mind walking a bit. I had the quad so used it to get about but we could have walked. The most important thing is that we found gold, not a lot but I think we came away with about 5g each.

There's telephone reception on one hill but nothing right at the campsite.

We recently camped a couple of nights at Flat Creek Station and couldn't be happier. We never saw anybody connected with the station because we did the self-check-in thing and just picked a sheltered spot not far from the toilets and showers. There's nothing fancy here but you can't expect much for $10 a night.

You don't need a 4WD to get there or even once you're there if you don't mind walking a bit. I had the quad so used it to get about but we could have walked. The most important thing is that we found gold, not a lot but I think we came away with about 5g each.

There's telephone reception on one hill but nothing right at the campsite.
Awesome stuff. Thanks for the response mate.
I was looking at Flat Creek Station and it looks great.
Always a plus when you walk away with abit of colour.
I was talking to someone about Palmer Station and they said it's great but the terrain is pretty full on which I guess has both pros and cons.
Keen as too get up that way for a swing, I usually go to Tibooburra NSW near the QLD border, awesome spot and you find gold everyday, often super tiny stuff though and when we get down VIC to the Triangle that place has been flogged to death 😂

Thanks for the info brother!

Also at Flat Creek you are also basically right beside Western Creek so gives you a choice and they are always nice to have 👍
Ahh sweet, I thought the two may be in pretty close proximity. Looks like people are finding some good size stuff out at Western. Still tossing up heading up further to Palmerville Station, just trying to do abit of research.
Cheers for the advice mate, appreciate it 👍🏼

As a 'Mod' I shouldn't be going off topic, but the thought train is the same and got me going!.....
You always hear from a gambler, when they win... they will shout it from the rooftops!
But you hear nothing when they lose, when they came last....
Absolutely seek information and any tips, but you will only ever know, when you do it for yourself!

That's not off topic Simmo it's bang on the money. 👍 Believe bugger all of what your told, but at the same time don't ask questions that in honesty you really could not expect an answer to. ;) . Funny when you know an area and someone tells you the vicinity that they found it was in a red country area but nuggets coated in white clay 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 Then you get the others that follow your wheel tracks . Fun trick is reverse the wheels on your quad so it looks like your coming from where your actually going .One must never forget it is gold after all, and people have died as a result or the want of it for hundreds of years. I've had some blokes show me some ripper nuggets, but they will never let you take a picture of them. 🤔

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing that sign... June should come around quick enough 🙄😅
You might need to bring the whipper snipper as the grass will be high and thick this season in the FN of Q Georgetown bridge went under this morning and the Delaney has cut off Einsleigh :rolleyes: 🤔 with more on the way. Makes you hunt for ways around to get to a spot but will be no 4B's out in paddocks for a while now. Even the quads are digging in. :rolleyes:
Delaney 2-1-23.jpg

Delaney3  2-1-23.jpg

Delaney2  2-1-23.jpg

Wow is it that wet out there? should be pushing plenty of gravel around.
What about Mount Surprise? My mate down near O'Brians might be flooded again.
Cheers for the update.
Getting even wetter, have had another 50mm since those pics and still raining. Not sure bloke regards O'briens Creek area but apparently no mail of food coming out of Cairns due to roads being cut for next few days so could well be flooded down that way 🤔

Latest posts