Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leannemfarrell

Hopeful1
Reaction score
Hi all, we are oldies but newbies to prospecting and looking forward to it.
A basic question if i may to clarify :
We are planning to use state forests (with permit) but can see the miners application and approved areas on maps... are we to stay out of those areas marked or can we access them if only prospecting as a hobby... i see some of them are covering streets in residential areas too so a bit confusing to us.
Thanks

Hi all, we are oldies but newbies to prospecting and looking forward to it.
A basic question if i may to clarify :
We are planning to use state forests (with permit) but can see the miners application and approved areas on maps... are we to stay out of those areas marked or can we access them if only prospecting as a hobby... i see some of them are covering streets in residential areas too so a bit confusing to us.
Thanks
Assuming you're looking at NSW?
You will need to select Fossicking Districts as a layer on the map (Minview).
Where a Fossicking District covers a NSW State Forest you do not need the permission of the Exploration Lease Holder.

If the NSW State Forest is not in a Fossicking District then by rights you do need the Exploration Lease Holders permission.

All other Mining Tenements/Leases require the leaseholders permission regardless of whether they are in a Fossicking District or not.

There are also other "No Fossicking Allowed" areas within many NSW State Forests that can be located via the map layers. These are other land leases such as grazing leases & also require the permission of the leaseholders.

NSW State Forests also close part or whole forests from time to time due to bushfire damage, flood damage, logging etc.

We, as Fossicking permit holders in NSW State Forests, are responsible for knowing where we can & can't go. It's advisable to check any forest prior to each trip as things can change in individual forests pretty quickly.

Welcome to the Forum Iean........ Each of our states have different rules to follow unfortunately. You might have to let us know which state you are in to help with your question.

Assuming you're looking at NSW?
You will need to select Fossicking Districts as a layer on the map (Minview).
Where a Fossicking District covers a NSW State Forest you do not need the permission of the Exploration Lease Holder.

If the NSW State Forest is not in a Fossicking District then by rights you do need the Exploration Lease Holders permission.

All other Mining Tenements/Leases require the leaseholders permission regardless of whether they are in a Fossicking District or not.

There are also other "No Fossicking Allowed" areas within many NSW State Forests that can be located via the map layers. These are other land leases such as grazing leases & also require the permission of the leaseholders.

NSW State Forests also close part or whole forests from time to time due to bushfire damage, flood damage, logging etc.

We, as Fossicking permit holders in NSW State Forests, are responsible for knowing where we can & can't go. It's advisable to check any forest prior to each trip as things can change in individual forests pretty quickly.
Thank you that is great information to know 😁 and yes NSW

Yes sorry, NSW 😁
That makes it much easier. mbasko has pretty much answered most of your question in detail above and I'm sure if you let the members here know of any specific sites you require more info on, help will be on the way. Getting involved with the conversations is a great way for beginners to quickly expand their knowledge base.. Cheers Wal.

Can you fossick on crown land in a fossicking district or do you need apply for permission to fossick as in other areas?
Yes good question, that would also be good for me to know as the rivers and creeks in the fossicking dustricts are marked as crown land .. i will watchyour replies in interest 😁

Can you fossick on crown land in a fossicking district or do you need apply for permission to fossick as in other areas?
It varies from area to area & who is the manager or in control of the Crown Land.
- Commons, require permission from the Common Trust. Some Commons, like Hill End, have it as an openly accepted activity & others require some further enquiry.
- Other Crown Lands under management require permission from the land manager. These can include various reserves, like recreational reserves, & have various managers in place so require some research + enquiry.
- Crown Lands can also be under various usage permits & leases. These are treated the same as private property - permission of the leaseholders or permit holders required.
- Unmanaged Crown Lands now require a Temporary Permit (12 months) from NSW Crown Lands.
In all cases it is now advisable to contact the nearest NSW Crown Lands office with the DP + Lot numbers of any crown land you wish to access for advice &/or to arrange a permit.

Fossicking Districts only remove the requirement to gain Exploration Lease holders permission.
All other permissions or permits are still required.

Latest posts