New timer gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol brother, probability is measured by depth to top of reef gravels/depth of reef gravels to the enemy (wet red clay Below)/detector/coil your using.
I'm onto you(I think) 🤣

You've got that Evo humming along beautifully Scott. And if I was a teacher in elegant hole digging I would give you a mark of A plus. You can be my foreman on the next paving job Liz sets up in the garden for sure. 😮 Far better than me...mine look more like a wild pig has just uprooted a truffle.🤔 Good luck on the next hunt mate.

Great nuggets but the thing that strikes me is the quiet stable threshold on the 5000. I might go back to spending a lot more time with the 4500 like I did at the APLA meeting where it outperformed the later detectors.
Planning more detecting this year and went back to a 5000 last year. I was not enjoying the edginess of the 2300 and before that the 7000 (and weight).
Instead of hearing an army of mosquitoes on the attack, it was nice to hear a lovely steady threshold again and being able to concentrate on those faint and often wispy variations that could be the start of a decent signal.
Also went down a notch to a Commander 8” and performance has almost matched the 2300 on really small stuff but outperformed it easily with some deeper bits.
Haven’t yet given it a good workout with larger coils with the best a 2 grammer at about 12” in thrashed ground but already have dug some exciting (and disappointing) faint deep “couldabeens“.
Also rigged the 5000 up with a bent shaft which is a blessing for my geriatric arm and arthritic hand. That makes the detector easier to control and use for longer periods by not having to grip it so hard as with the stalk grips.
Looking forward to 23.
CBB8F25A-AF79-44E7-B79B-42DD5878D0AB.jpegCF14B5A7-35E5-4835-8057-748B2BE03345.jpeg

I do have swing arm and they certainly stop the lateral torsional strain on one's shoulder, but not the need to tension one's arm with a tight hold on an over shaft stalk grip. I also don't think you can swing as widely or as well around bushes with a swing arm.
I used a swing arm for a while, and found that to make up for that loss of swing width, I felt myself twisting my body and spine more to get the same width and that created even more problems over extended use.
Despite my crook shoulder, I have been able to swing the 5000 and 8" with the bent under shaft grip all day without even a bungee, provided I take reasonable breaks.
I would be tempted to use my swing arm again if considering a full day with any of my bigger coils though. I don't want to have to suffer shoulder interbone injections again.

I do have swing arm and they certainly stop the lateral torsional strain on one's shoulder, but not the need to tension one's arm with a tight hold on an over shaft stalk grip. I also don't think you can swing as widely or as well around bushes with a swing arm.
I used a swing arm for a while, and found that to make up for that loss of swing width, I felt myself twisting my body and spine more to get the same width and that created even more problems over extended use.
Despite my crook shoulder, I have been able to swing the 5000 and 8" with the bent under shaft grip all day without even a bungee, provided I take reasonable breaks.
I would be tempted to use my swing arm again if considering a full day with any of my bigger coils though. I don't want to have to suffer shoulder interbone injections again.
Custom carbon fibre shaft extended as long as the coil lead will go for maximum reach, I hear ya with the lateral problem. Skid the coil, no weight ,2 arms swinging, all problems solved 😎