New Tdi Hi-Q

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When the new is the old, in a new package? The Tdi SL was due for an upgrade, given that Miner John lost his manufacturing capacity in the California fires and White's supply of his coils was limited. A new coil and a new name, Sand or Camo? I do hope the coil is deeper and more sensitive, not just a repackaged folded mono or duel field coil. Hoping for more.. hoping White's has made real progress.. we'll all have to wait and see. Give me half an excuse and I'll open my wallet..
1569558235_800-0332-hi-q-x.jpg
All the best, Karelian.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop K65 and thank you for many other prev posts. Lets hope there are more improvements to come! I am using a Pro Oz on areas in NSW. Got to love the weight and balance of this machine as well as the manual tweaking of knobs and switches. All I have to do now is get the coil over the gold stuff. I am pretty good at finding tiny bits of lead and .22 casings. Ha

The pattern on that coil would suggest to me that its not a folded 8 or a dual field. Im guessing its a mono designed with an emphasis on stability. If that turns out to be the case, Im curious how it would go on a big box TDI. Time will tell.

So I googled HI-Q, found articles on how to build high output coil antennas. Translate that to metal detector coils and things might get interesting.. White's did mention new patents. Karelian

Gidday guys, l run my TDI SL with the Detech 8" mono coil, absolutely love this combo here in Oz. It,s Litz wire and its quiet, very sensitive on small gold at good depth. Everytime i have been to bendigo, i have found gold.
Smallest piece found has been 0.07.
Largest being 1.13g.
I am however going to build the 16v mod, if this does give the SL an inch or two better depth, i will be more than impressed, as it is, i love this combo of whites and detech unit.
1569646002_1500736887462.jpg

1569646042_20170910_100647-1.jpg

1569646285_20170910_112025-1.jpg

The specie pictured was in ironstone, it was a good 4" deep in hard pack, i cracked it open to find this very nice 0.90g nugget.
X4 of the bigger bits around the coin are from detecting, the others are pickers from sluicing.
The clean nugget is a 0.47g dug up over 4 inches deep.

I have only been detecting on the small settings but being successful on all outings.
After i detect a small area, i clear the branches and rake if the ute is close by.

I have never done any youtube videos of my trips and finds, this is one thing i am keen to do because the Whites tdi sl does get a bad wrap from ML users.
I have used the Sadie coil but found it picked up more ground noise than the Detech.

I have no reason to post crap on this site, everything stated here is all true and correct.

Hopefully in 2 weeks when i return to my mates place in Bendigo, i will remember to record some live digs for you all.

Cheers

Hi. ProspectVic. Yes I agree with you. The Detech coils are great. I'm using a Detech 15x10 open mono on my Pro Oz. Way better coil than the original one. Do you happen to know what exactly the Hi Q coils do.?? I can't check out the detector prospector site above. For some reason when I bring up the site on my phone I see it for about 5 seconds and then it takes me completely out of net connection. Same with facebook. All other sites no problem. Can't figure out why this happens.

Tdi users in the USA contacted Whites and HI-Q is White's version of a folded mono coil, currently only available as part of the 'package' but in the future who knows? Only interested in keeping a lazy eye out on performance reports on the coil only, won't entertain buying the 'package'. Karelian :(]

Nice gold ProspectVic...

Surely they will make the coil available as a separate item. They do with other coils. Be a bit crappy of em if they don't! Lot of TDI users out there!?

Well we just supplied the first of hopefully many Whites TDI HighQ's to
a customer. So we now will wait to see how it goes.

The customers that bought the miner john version have reported
that they have done well.

Hopefully as more of these get into Australian use we might
start reading from people using them.

Cheers.
Lee

Followed Goldpick link to detectorprospector and learnt the new coil is a duel field not a folded mono. Duel field coils have mixed results in hot Australian soils. The large 12" duel field is problematic in the goldfields but the smaller 10 x 6 'Jimmy' duel field coil was ok. So the new 12 x 7.5 duel field coil may be ok here but we'll have to wait and see how it performs. Karelian

Kind of like the look of that TDI SL Hi-Q Camo, I know.... same detector just different colour. .... now if our $ exchange rate improves, then I'll look a little closer.

mxt sniper I suspect that technically a duel field coil is not the same as a folded mono. A duel field coils is two wires, one larger with a smaller one inside, folded mono is a single wire folded like an 8. My understanding. rockdev in my experience Tdi Pro is superior to Tdi SL regardless of coil type if performance or depth is the main criteria. Pro is much easier to ground balance in hot ground. I have two duel field coils, a number of folded mono coils and your basic mono coils. Best in hot ground with both Pro and SL are the mono coils. Followed by the folded mono with the duel field coils last. Duel field coils in hot ground can be difficult to ground balance, but the HI-Q coils is new and past experiences may not apply. In the past White's chose not to supply Australian customers with the duel field coils instead supplying a mono coil, stated reason was they were more appropriate for our soil conditions.
Take heavily mineralized ground out of the equation and the White's 12" duel field coils are superb on the beach, the smaller 'Jimmy' duel field coil is very good all round. That larger outer coil goes deep and the inner wire hits hard on shallow small targets. The very best prospecting coils I've used on the Tdi machines have all been mono coils. I would love the HI-Q coil to be special but my personal experience is that the duel field coils will not perform in hot ground but will work very well in less mineralized soils.
Until someone posts their personal experiences in Australia with the HI-Q coil on our hot soils, then I guess the verdict is still out. My inner skeptic is on alert and has managed to curb my enthusiasm... all the best. Karelian

This to Karelian 65. You seem to have a very extensive knowledge of the TDI series so I'm wondering if you can help here. I have followed with great interest the TDI. I've always liked them and currently have a Pro oz. Do you know if anyone has actually done a mod to change the GB system as suggested by Reg as a possibility to give the TDI greater depth more like the mlabs capability.?? As Reg pointed out it would destroy the tdi's discrim ability but I'm wondering if anyone has actually done it and if so is it doable for others? :argh:

Thanks very much for you detailed reply Karelian, its much appreciated mate. I really only want something for prospecting, we only go a few times a year as we mostly do relics 95% of the time. I have been lucky enough to find a little bit of gold with the Nox 800, the ground were we go is way to hot for a vlf though. I was just looking at alternates to the other PI machines without the expensive tags. Will keep an eye out for a good used Pro I think.

cheers and thanks again.

I know mods are possible, yes Luke Oz Digger did do them, long time since I've heard anything. A friend has a pro with the threshold mod. Prefer not to mess with mine since I have used both, my standard and his modified Pro. The White's Tdi machines make sense to me, in good measure because of the conductivity switch. The Minelab machines do have extra depth capabilities and sometimes that advantage makes a world of difference, but that capability comes at a price. A standard used Pro offers great bang for buck and can be less than a new VLF. We are spoiled for choice when looking for a machine that fits our individual needs. Good luck. Karelian

After seeing likes vid re better depth and smoother threshold I must admit I was a bit swayed by that. Are you saying tis better to leave the machine as is???. I'm personal quite happy with mine. Also would be interested to know your thoughts re Goldmaster 24k. Was considering whether one of those high frequency vlfs would be a better choice given that the larger pieces of gold are harder to find these days. Any input would be appreciated. Regards... Ron.

Latest posts