New PI from Garrett, Axiom

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not trashing it. If they add tone adjustment to threshold I would buy one. Maybe that might be in a future update at some point. If they are trying to gain back market share they would have to release it at a reasonable price lower than the proven Minelab 6k.
It does have tone adjustment for the threshold, that was one of my concerns as well but I was advised by one of the testers who owns and has used one, that yes, we can adjust the tone like we can on the GPX-5000, I've placed and paid for my order and will post some videos when it arrives.

1660754903495.png

My old Garret GTA 1000 from the 1990s had threshold adjust. On standard tone (without fancy beep tones) upped threshold while decreasing headphone volume, gave a little more depth on deeper smaller targets. Old machines nothing compared to what we have now.

I am not trashing it. If they add tone adjustment to threshold I would buy one. Maybe that might be in a future update at some point. If they are trying to gain back market share they would have to release it at a reasonable price lower than the proven Minelab 6k.

The two audio types available and discussion about the audio tone.

I'm thinking the factory preset on Garrett GTA 1000 for threshold was silent in standard audio mode you could adjust. Why headphones turned either up or down as needed while adjusting threshold. My best results were with a slight background threshold sound (very faint).

According to video Axiom bas not only VCO audio but a high-low tone mode. Interesting because my old 1990s Garrett detector had the same high-low mode. It was very useful because the low would kick in to identify large iron targets.

I never want to hear another Infinium tone, ever.
OMG truer words were never spoken, I even posted that on another forum, if it sounded like my Infinium I'd have never bought it and even hearing the Infinium sound in the demo triggered every one of my "Infinium don't even THINK about getting the control box of your underwater detector near the surface of the water cus it'll scream like a 16 year old school girl on prom night" PTSD triggers...

2 tone modes, One is Garrett tone mode, and other is Minelab mode...hahahahaha
and the Quick Track button is on the control panel, very similar ground balancing... I mentioned that what really would have frosted some nuggets in SA is if Garrett had made the coil mounting tabs and coil connector compatible with the GPX 4500/5000 line of coils...whew that would have lit up the sky with shrapnel guaranteed... but it would have been SO COOL... TDI owners and 4500/5000 users with large coil investments to be able to use them on the Axiom.. how sweet would that be?

Last edited:
Love or hate the Infinium Signal Tone Redfin, ..you can't 'miss' hearing it, when it signals....I've been listening to my INfinium for 20 years....not completely deaf...yet.....Lol..used to use it at your old stomping ground in Pt Lincoln SA..in front of the Yacht Squadron Clubrooms...when the 'Matrons' would drop their gold/diamond rings over the balcony into the sand below..after guzzling their Champers....memories....
Are you considering getting an Axiom..?...I will consider...looks well made/designed...probably Garrett's only second real go at producing a Gold Detector, after the Infinium...old Chas Garrett knew his main market in US was Relic Hunting ...If the Axiom had been more reasonably priced compared to the fairly expensive 6000 it would have knocked ML's sox off, with sales here ........time, and more honest ,genuine comparative tests/reports, will tell...Hoo Roo

I also and will be most interested to hear Steves results after the Oz trip. Wonder where he will be swinging in Aust ? West, North, Vic or all ? ;)
With 10 hour charge time despite Aux pack may be issue ? I gather from my understanding is that battery is internal not a clip on unit ?

I suggested to JP that he should take him on a road trip to Meeka via Tib.... JP seemed to like that idea so who knows, that would be an epic trip for sure.

Re your battery question, there is an internal (probably a set of tab spot welded 18650's or a flat pack) and that external AA case slides on underneath and plus in for when the internal is flat.
Lot deisal to burn on that trip! Will need to find a bit !!