New member - just after advice

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Afternoon,
New member who is just after advice.

My father passed away a couple of months ago, and in his stuff we have found many metal detecting related things that I'm unsure are of any value to anyone.

There was old maps, gemstones, some gold, lots of spent bullets and casings (I think he kept everything he ever found!! :eek: ), plus metal detector, coils and accessories.

We are in the process of testing the detector, etc. so we can sell them (hopefully through this forum), but we have no idea if anything else he kept actually has any value - monetary or otherwise.

Hoping to find people who wouldn't mind giving some advice on all of this as it's quite overwhelming.

Thanks in advance for any advice! Greatly appreciated. :Y:
Sharon

welcome to PA Sharon, sorry to hear of your loss :flowers: condolences to you and your family.

It will help if you tell us which state you are in it will help you speed up the process of determining what is what and who can best advise you. A few pictures will also help, pictures of detector and anything you would like to know about. There are some very knowledgeable and helpful people on this forum who I'm sure will be willing to help.

"There was old maps, gemstones, some gold, lots of spent bullets and casings (I think he kept everything he ever found!! yikes ), plus metal detector, coils and accessories"

If you want to sell the gold you have a few options - there are gold buyers around that generally pay a little below spot price (the price of gold on any given day) https://grappysgoldbuyers.com.au/ is one such buyer, maybe other members can recommend others
You can join a Facebook group such as Aussie Gold Hunters which often have people list gold for sale
Some people advertise their gold on eBay or advertise it here on this forum however I'm not sure about the rules/regulations here on that one. I would think a gold buyer might be the safest and easiest method.

Selling metal detecting equipment.
Find out the make and model of the detector and check out Marketplace, gumtree, this forum (Classifieds - For Sale, Hire or Swap) and see if anyone else has recently advertised one so you can familiarize your self with the price and get some ideas about what to write in your ad. As others have mentioned if you show us a picture of your fathers gear we can tell you exactly what you have and recommend a ballpark figure that you may wish to advertise it for.

Latest posts