New Member from Vic

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

Found this site while researching DIY Highbankers. A bit about myself, I'm approaching 40 and as a job I'm a Senior IT Business Analyst, live in Melton (Vic) so about 45min away from a few Gold Bearing creeks and rivers. Have 2 young kids (5 and 7) so wanting to do something to get them out of the house, the wife doesn't like camping so will mostly be day trips.

After a lot of reading and youtubes on how and where to pan I recently went out and purchased a Garret Deluxe Panning Kit from Minersden and a couple of classifiers from Aussie Disposals, only had them 2 weeks and weather hasn't been good so only been out once and only for an hour before we took the kids for some fish and chips, got some specs of gold and small i am assuming Zircons in that time. The wife wants a detector so will probably hire 1 or 2 for a day to see if we want to spend the $$ on a good detector however I really want a Highbanker.

Have been through the forum and Youtube links from the site and have gathered some really helpful information, I really like the "Walbanker" and actually watched the video that was shot by Walnliz on Grabben Gullen creek before I found this site. I drive a Grand Vitara and the Walbanker wont fit in the back (50cm too long) :( so will look at something else, I have sketched out a plan on what I want although building it will be a challenge as i'm not known for my handyman skills and don't have most of the tools I will need (i don't even own a Pop Rivet Gun :) ) however thats nothing a trip or 10 to bunnings wont fix.

Regards
Brad

Gday Brad, Find a local sheet metal joint, they can bend and weld up a box for you very cheaply. And then just fit it out yourself. I made a highbanker (check the youtube section) that fits in the boot of my magna with enough room for the genny and the pump. Loosly based on the walbanker but with out the gem setup. Enjoy the forum, its tops. Balx

G'day Brad,

When you wrote " I drive a Grand Vitara and the Walbanker wont fit in the back (50cm too long) so will look at something else" What type of vehicle update do you have in mind?

Welcome to the site and good luck with the DIY highbanker!

Cheers Brad.

Hey Brad,

Welcome to the Forum.

There's plenty of Highbankers about that you can buy ready to go & various sizes.
Cheaper to get your own made up Like Balx did & has a complete set up for $500 Banker, hoses & pump.

Check out our Site Sponsors, our for sale section or have a look on eBay as they come up 2nd hand too - whole set ups every now & then - you could get lucky & pick up a bargain for only a few hundred.

Braddo said:
G'day Brad,

When you wrote " I drive a Grand Vitara and the Walbanker wont fit in the back (50cm too long) so will look at something else" What type of vehicle update do you have in mind?

Welcome to the site and good luck with the DIY highbanker!

Cheers Brad.

HaHa. Actually the Vitara is coming up to 8 years Old, it was my first car (yes first car at 31) as I only rode Motorbikes before I got married (sure that sounds familiar to some people).. I bought it as I wanted a Small 4x4 that actually had 4H and 4L lock and the other SUV's I looked at were basically AWD, it has gone offroad every now and then as I enjoy fishing but has only really been on 4x4 only tracks in the last 12 months but nothing too testing. With some good tyres its decent off road and has gone everywhere I wanted to but lacks ground clearance to get serious (which I doubt I will be), now with the kids getting bigger also lacks boot space and the 2005-2008 only has 85kg Towball weight (newer models have 150kg). So a new Car is on the cards and will be a 4x4 Dual Cab Ute just not quite yet.

I have been watching Gumtree and Ebay for highbankers and have seen a few good deals pop up. Annual bonus is coming in a few weeks so I will in a position to do something about it then.

Goudie74 said:
Hello,

Found this site while researching DIY Highbankers. A bit about myself, I'm approaching 40 and as a job I'm a Senior IT Business Analyst, live in Melton (Vic) so about 45min away from a few Gold Bearing creeks and rivers. Have 2 young kids (5 and 7) so wanting to do something to get them out of the house, the wife doesn't like camping so will mostly be day trips.

After a lot of reading and youtubes on how and where to pan I recently went out and purchased a Garret Deluxe Panning Kit from Minersden and a couple of classifiers from Aussie Disposals, only had them 2 weeks and weather hasn't been good so only been out once and only for an hour before we took the kids for some fish and chips, got some specs of gold and small i am assuming Zircons in that time. The wife wants a detector so will probably hire 1 or 2 for a day to see if we want to spend the $$ on a good detector however I really want a Highbanker.

Have been through the forum and Youtube links from the site and have gathered some really helpful information, I really like the "Walbanker" and actually watched the video that was shot by Walnliz on Grabben Gullen creek before I found this site. I drive a Grand Vitara and the Walbanker wont fit in the back (50cm too long) :( so will look at something else, I have sketched out a plan on what I want although building it will be a challenge as i'm not known for my handyman skills and don't have most of the tools I will need (i don't even own a Pop Rivet Gun :) ) however thats nothing a trip or 10 to bunnings wont fix.

Regards
Brad

Hi Brad

I'm in Melbourne after 17 years of travel in mining around OZ. Looking to do my own mining back here full time now, and like you building my own gear. Wanted my high banker to be able to fold up so I can fit it in the back of my Subaru. It was a challenge and I did give up trying to work out how while in Bunnings. On my way out I walked straight into a pile of collapsible carpenters horses @ $14 each. Perfect!