New Hobby

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, My name is Brad and Im from Albury/Wodonga. I recently visited Soverign Hill in Ballarat and in response to my sons love of the gold panning I have joined this forum to research what could be a new father/son hobby? G'day to all members!

Welcome to the forum Braddo.. Soverign Hill, that brings back memories of a family trip there in the late 70's.. came home with a little vial of some gold specks and sold it to a mate at school for $1 and bought a meat pie, a coke and jiffy doughnut :lol:

This is a very good hobby for father and son, but if your not getting the gold they can loose their interest quite quickly, with my boys I find mixing fossicking with camping and fishing is the go.. but if your getting the gold you can be sure your boy will be focused and super keen :) You will be too

Cheers James

Welcome to the forum Braddo, all the best on your new found hobby, it's a great thing to get into.

Cheers,
Nugget

Thanks for the Welcome fella's, I have been doing a lot of reading around the forum and although not entirely gold related, the value of Goldbug's school canteen has impressed!!! $1 well spent!

G'day Braddo,

The creek at Sovereign Hill is a great way to introduce your kids to panning and getting the Au fever. We used to live in Ballarat when our kids were young and were members of FOSH (Friends of sovereign hill). We'd all get geared up in period costume- The missus used to get dressed up all posh and spent her time in the post office parlour tatting while I gave panning demo's to the tourists in the creek. Our two boys would run around the diggings and did what kids do get into all sorts of strife.

Looking for gold with the family is a great way to get out - something the kids will look back on with fond memories - Mine still talk about their days with dad in the bush.

Enjoy the forum

G'day and welcome mate,

As the son of a father who first took me prospecting over 30 years ago, I can tell you that it's still a great hobby to enjoy with your dad even all this time later. My old dad and I get out and prospect as often as we can. Check out the father and son work we still do, you can find links to a couple of our videos in the Youtube section of the forum (down near the bottom of the forum page)...

I still talk about those old times.... now I video them.

Welcome to the forum Brad, Playing around with gold and gems can be a lot of fun....and remember...a family that plays together, stays together. I'm sure the new found hobby will be a long term bonding experience. Best of luck and if you need any prospecting advice along the way just yell out. Cheers Wal. :)

Welcome Brad and Son, you will find heaps of good info in the forum pages, if you cant find it ask and someone will answer, great to see the father and son out doing something together, best of luck to you both. Cheers Tone

Welcome Braddo, I head down to Beechworth every now and then, we will have to meet up one day.
Cheers Dozer :)

From one Brad to another, welcome aboard.
I understand the father/son as I have 2 boys and getting them out and about in the bush is great.
We had a visit to Soveriegn Hill a couple of yrs back and the boys want to head back for another visit.
Good luck out there and dont be scared to ask questions on the subject.
Cheers
Brad.....

Hey Brad.
I am the Father side of the Father and Son team.
We do it all prospect , fish, camp, hunt.
It is fantastic that you introduced your son to fossicking.......fresh air, dirt, water and dust make for great character building later on in life.
Cheers
Thesmithy (Brian )

Hey Brad
I have two boys and during the warmer months they love to splash about in creek beds, its just great to get them out and about in the bush setting. They love to find gold, but they also love to find yabbies/fish/bugs ......

Albury/Wodonga is close to some great spots for panning.

Sovereign Hill also introduced me to gold panning as a boy, I still have a little bottle at home with a few flakes that my brother and i found. I remember going to our holiday house and using ice cream buckets to pan the little creek that flowed though our property (no luck) haha
My greatest memory of Sovereign Hill is though was at boarding school one sunday morning our house master had a phone call asking if some of us boys could fill in for the Richmond Football club.
The Richmond Football Club were meant to send 8 players to Sovereign Hill to compete against the Ballarat Football Club in pulling a horse carriage and bowling. The coach at the time (I think it was KB) pulled the plug at the last minute (due to a heavy loss) so Sovereign Hill was desperate.......the Richmond fans were quite puzzled to see us.
Although we lost the horse carriage pull (up the main street) we won the bowling! we got lots of free food, (boarders are always starving) we got on tv!

Fun times
Enjoy gold panning. and no I am no tiger fan but go the cats!
cheers
dave

Thanks to all that have welcomed me to the forum and thanks for all the advice. I have always browsed different forums on the Internet but I have never joined or posted at any of them. More than happy with the information I have found here and I have been impressed with the possitive feedback all members are giving one another. Hopefully oneday in the future I will achieve a level of experience that will allow me to post some helpful advice!

Latest posts