New Discovery..

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I realise that GR. Put up the link to the Snopes site article as it discusses the Social Media post that was the original source (Origin) & includes a screen shot. ;)
It appears that it is well recognised as a joke here & elsewhere.
I suspected that you did Mbasko

Yes, the truth is often as strange as fiction, and more fascinating for being real.

I find that a lot of people don't realise that none of the original dinosaur is present - that all meat, organs, bones have gone, and that what we look at now is inorganic (rock-forming) precipitate that deposits in the cavities left when the original organic material is gone (almost always by a hundred thousand years or so - sort of filling a mold to make a cast. Just thought I would mention it - that is why "re-creating" extinct animals from their DNA is limited to things like mammoths and Tasmanian tigers. The probablity of "meat" and "organs' as in this fake dinosaur report is always a clue to a fake report - they are usually gone within a hundred or so years because DNA breaks down with time (except where snap-frozen in permafrost where mammoths can stay around for tens of thousands of years until disinterred). I have seen 10,000 year old mammoth thigh meat in northern Siberia, preserved in formaldehyde (my photo).

1651550955394.png
One of the most spectacular skeletons I have seen was an amphibious dinosaur at White Cliifs completely replaced by precious opal (all the vertebrae etc), another at Lightning Ridge, another at Adelaide Museum.

Last edited:
Yes, the truth is often as strange as fiction, and more fascinating for being real.

I find that a lot of people don't realise that none of the original dinosaur is present - that all meat, organs, bones have gone, and that what we look at now is inorganic (rock-forming) precipitate that deposits in the cavities left when the original organic material is gone (almost always by a hundred thousand years or so - sort of filling a mold to make a cast. Just thought I would mention it - that is why "re-creating" extinct animals from their DNA is limited to things like mammoths and Tasmanian tigers. The probablity of "meat" and "organs' as in this fake dinosaur report is always a clue to a fake report - they are usually gone within a hundred or so years because DNA breaks down with time (except where snap-frozen in permafrost where mammoths can stay around for tens of thousands of years until disinterred). I have seen 10,000 year old mammoth thigh meat in northern Siberia, preserved in formaldehyde (my photo).

View attachment 1329
One of the most spectacular skeletons I have seen was an amphibious dinosaur at White Cliifs completely replaced by precious opal (all the vertebrae etc), another at Lightning Ridge, another at Adelaide Museum.
The Adelaide Museum display is fantastic and well worth any visitor spending the time to check it out

Latest posts