Aftermarket Coils for the GPX 6000 - Coiltek

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think I heard 7-9" possibly elliptical mentioned, whatever they are will probably put a stop to those currently thinking about the larger Minelab 17x13" mono.
Guess we'll just have to wait and see ....
The really interesting thing is to see how it's marketed, will it open up the goldfields flogged by the GM, SDC, every know GPX including the 6000, the GPZ ???? Will it be quieter than any previous coil, will it eliminate ground noise???? Will it punch deeper than any previous coil (attached to any detector) ???

Last edited:
Keep in mind that many of these aftermarket coils that we throw money at, just to feel good, are no better than the original fitted by Minelab. Coiltek make some good coils but some aftermarket coils do nothing to improve your overall gold finds.

Keep in mind that many of these aftermarket coils that we throw money at, just to feel good, are no better than the original fitted by Minelab. Coiltek make some good coils but some aftermarket coils do nothing to improve your overall gold finds.
Spot on, usually purchased by those that haven't had much success and are desperate to find some.

Yep for most ground the GPX11 will do the job.
My only interest would be in an elliptical of say 10x6, 12x8 type size for the gold bearing country rock areas common in Central NSW. Something like that would be handy.

I’m hoping the new Coiltek coils address some of the weaknesses of the 6k rather than just adding another range of coil sizes. In dry ground that is not overly mineralised, the six is a capable machine with the 11” coil attached. In wet, hotter ground it makes you work hard. The flat wound coil is sensitive but is not so close to the edge. The 14”DD is a good coil but lacks flexibility in tight, rocky areas. Would love to see a smaller elliptical DD for that type of ground.
I remember when I first started making lures, a big shop said "send me 6 of every colour". At the time I had 6 colours, next order I had 10 colour schemes!

Met a bloke a while ago new to detecting who found a 4oz nugget whilst out on an instructional trip with the people who sold him the detector. (Edit - remember thinking lucky bastard and I bet that pissed off the ones giving him instructions on their patch as he also remarked that after he had dug down a bit and called the instructor over for an opinion, they suggested it was ground noise!!!)
Excited with his find he cashed it in and confident about his ability to find many more he bought just about every size coil available for his detector. I can't remember how we met but we ended up going out detecting together a number of times but cant remember him finding much if anything at all while I was pulling in stuff with the bog standard 11' coil.
Just recently I have reverted to a used 5000 and am running a Minelab 8" coil to try to replicate the performance of the 2300 and am very happy with its performance, the cleanness of its target signal and the occasional deeper bigger nugget that I now get.

Last edited: