New bloke - Phil from Darwin

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gday All,

I'm coming back to detecting after many years away from this game.

Back in the 80's I built a few detectors, and also had a Garrett A2B (anyone remember them?)

The old bloke that I bought the A2B from found a quite a bit of gold with it, but he had to give up detecting due to old age.
One story he did pass on - on one of the central Victorian fields, and with holes everywhere from other detector users, he had a strong iron signal. Someone else had dug on it but had partially filled in the hole. The old bloke dug down about 8" and found a lump of iron. But before filling the hole back in he removed the iron and tested again with the A2B. He still had a strong signal, but this time it was non-ferrous. Three inches below the lump of iron was a 2 ounce nugget.

Ever since I have always dug on all signals, but have never been able to replicate his experience.

Anyway, I've bought an Equinox 800 from Steve at Humpty Doo Prospecting, and am looking forward to having a poke around some of the old fields in the Pine Creek area.

First though I need to spend some time getting to know this new machine.

Cheers Phil

PhilTas said:
Gday All,

I'm coming back to detecting after many years away from this game.

Back in the 80's I built a few detectors, and also had a Garrett A2B (anyone remember them?)

The old bloke that I bought the A2B from found a quite a bit of gold with it, but he had to give up detecting due to old age.
One story he did pass on - on one of the central Victorian fields, and with holes everywhere from other detector users, he had a strong iron signal. Someone else had dug on it but had partially filled in the hole. The old bloke dug down about 8" and found a lump of iron. But before filling the hole back in he removed the iron and tested again with the A2B. He still had a strong signal, but this time it was non-ferrous. Three inches below the lump of iron was a 2 ounce nugget.

Ever since I have always dug on all signals, but have never been able to replicate his experience.

Anyway, I've bought an Equinox 800 from Steve at Humpty Doo Prospecting, and am looking forward to having a poke around some of the old fields in the Pine Creek area.

First though I need to spend some time getting to know this new machine.

Cheers Phil
The old detectors were a lot cheaper. :lol:

Latest posts