NAPFA General News, Member Information & Updates

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hang in there Mark!...It could still happen...just have to wait and see if the committee can tick all the boxes mate. :cool:

It took 4 years but another nice leap forward for NAPFA in NSW:

"A plan of management for Cottan-Bimbang National Park, Cottan-Bimbang State Conservation Area and The Cells State Conservation Area has been adopted under theNational Parks and Wildlife Act 1974.

The draft plan of management for these parks attracted a small number of submissions mainly relating to fossicking and vehicle access. Minor changes were made to the plan to:

permit fossicking in The Cells SCA using handheld metal detectors and pans

The adopted plan is available athttps://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/...eas/park-management/parks-plans-of-management "
:clap:

Plan of management for Cottan-Bimbang National Park said:
Other uses
Fossicking is a recreational activity involving the small-scale search for minerals, gemstones or mineral-bearing material from the surface (or by digging from the surface) with handheld implements.
Fossicking is generally not permitted in parks without consent because it can pose unacceptable risks to natural and cultural heritage (OEH 2018). As fossicking mainly takes place along river and creek banks, disturbance of soils and erosion can lead to impacts on aquatic habitats, vegetation and fauna such as native fish (NSW Industry & Investment 2019).
The NPWS policy allows for limited fossicking opportunities in parks with consent, subject to an appropriate environment and risk assessment level. The assessment needs to consider if the activity poses unacceptable risks to visitor safety or to park values, including threatened native plants and animals, Aboriginal cultural heritage, World Heritage values, wilderness, catchment integrity and water quality.
The parks were formerly part of the Bulga, Brassey, Doyles River, Mount Seaview and Enfield state forests. There was some history of recreational fossicking in the area while it was state forest with this focused on the area that is now The Cells State Conservation Area.
There is no evidence that fossicking occurred in the area contained within Cottan-Bimbang National Park or Cottan-Bimbang State Conservation Area. Access into these areas is limited due to the steep terrain that can be dangerous inaccessible in the wet. There are also safety issues associated with disused mine shafts that may pose a risk to visitor safety.
Given the important Aboriginal cultural heritage values, significant catchment values and associated stream ecology in these parks, particularly in the catchments of Fenwicks and Ralfes creeks and Tobins River, recreational fossicking will only be allowed to continue to occur in the Cells State Conservation Area using handheld metal detectors and pans. Sluicing associated with previous fossicking activity in this area caused environmental impacts and will therefore not be permitted.
Fossickers must follow the low impact requirements of the Mining Regulation 2016 and the NPWS Fossicking policy (OEH 2018). NPWS will monitor any environmental impacts caused by this recreational activity and may not provide consent if adverse impacts are detected.

Good luck up there, we've been partially shafted again down here in Vic. ...... took years but they have now snuck this through with very little fanfare.

NON of their previous recommendations to look into the effects of prospecting on certain areas were undertaken so how they came to a decision without that evidence is beyond me.

Voice of PMAV and individuals, not all totally opposed to Parks as such but definitely to the exclusion of prospecting.

Cheers T.

Dave79 said:
Looks like another lockout with a very small exemption to me :awful:
Dave this whole area has been 100% off limits to fossicking/prospecting since January 2003 when NSW National Parks & Wildlife Service took it over from NSW State Forests.
As a general rule the NPWS don't allow fossicking/prospecting in their parks (there are only 3 others in NSW where it's allowed).
To permit fossicking in The Cells SCA using handheld metal detectors & pans is a very nice step back forwards, in 4708ha of land, for both local + visiting fossickers/prospectors!

Your a pessimistic little vegemite aren't you :p :D

mbasko said:
Dave79 said:
Looks like another lockout with a very small exemption to me :awful:
Dave this whole area has been 100% off limits to fossicking/prospecting since January 2003 when NSW National Parks & Wildlife Service took it over from NSW State Forests.
As a general rule the NPWS don't allow fossicking/prospecting in their parks (there are only 3 others in NSW where it's allowed).
To permit fossicking in The Cells SCA using handheld metal detectors & pans is a very nice step back forwards, in 4708ha of land, for both local + visiting fossickers/prospectors!

Your a pessimistic little vegemite aren't you :p :D
My bad, thought this was a new NP. Good to see that exemption...even if it took 20 years.

Pessimistic, maybe. Wait till half your state is National Park and the other half is under ML or EL, I can't even fossick in my backyard without permission!

Hi fellow prospectors, it is not often I can report a very good result done by other organisations on our behalf. I must thank NAPFA for their persistence in pursuing the creation of fossicking districts here in NSW. { The newest one being Oberon LGA , fossicking district 71 } This benefits all prospectors for fossicking of precious metals and or gemstones whether they are members of NAPFA or not, this only goes to show the quality, depth and commitment of NAPFA’s members and committee. So in Saying that I must give a very big thank you to NAPFA for all the work they are doing in regards to prospecting in NSW.

In the 1970's there was a lot of fossicking areas marked out . Put out by the Geological Survey of NSW and the Mines Dept . as it was then known . I have a good number of them .

In the 1970's there was a lot of fossicking areas marked out . Put out by the Geological Survey of NSW and the Mines Dept . as it was then known . I have a good number of them .
Some of those areas are now defunct/no longer fossicking areas Mike so would need to be checked locally now.
A lot have been swallowed up in the new Fossicking Districts. Available here:
https://minview.geoscience.nsw.gov.au/#/?lon=147.6161&lat=-32.76172&z=7&bm=bm3&l=ta2:y:100
Just a reminder on NSW Fossicking Districts:
Fossicking Districts
Basically a Fossicking District gives no right of access or any consent/permission to fossick or prospect on any land.
Fossicking Districts only remove the need to get the permission of Exploration Lease holders to fossick on land the Exploration Lease covers.
You MUST still have the consent/permission or, where required, a permit from the land owner/land manager/leaseholder regardless of whether the land is private, under tenure/lease or crown land.

Thanks Matt, I had a look at Google District 71 but came up with nothing. Do you have a new map or co-ordinates for 71. I am familiar with Oberon. Thanks in anticipation Mackka
No map as yet Mackka.
As per above a map was supposed to have been included in the Gazettal (Schedule 1) but wasn't included.
Minview hasn't been updated to include Oberon as yet either. Once it is I'll add it here for members.

Latest posts