My first Predecimal find

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coyote

Cliff
Reaction score
I have been at a training course in Adelaide for the last three days and after finishing this afternoon I thought I would drop into Jupiter Creek area for a bit of a swing. I never expect a lot from the X-Terra 705 when it comes to gold. I decided to go off the track for a look only to find holes dug every where.
I thought that this area had been flogged pretty hard but what the hell. Started swinging and within 3-4 minutes got a good signal. I put it in coin mode (even with the DD coil) and got a repeditive 34 to 36.

Had a dig and found this. 1845 threepence. 8)

1402049400_threepence_heads.jpg
1402049676_threepence_tails.jpg

How could everyone else have missed it? I'm pretty happy with it. I was starting to think I would never find a predecimal.

Guess you know where I'll be tomorrow. :lol:

Haha nice account opener. The first ones the hardest. Its a nice feeling to go into any area that's been hit and take something home. Good work, great reward.

That's cool. Its amazing, you never know what it is until you dig. Its addictive!

well done. mbe cos everyone is looking for gold,and they tune out or ignore silver,coin targets ? there's an opening for ya. ;)

Very nice, found a 1846 Shilling and there were detector holes everywhere. A lot of people only listen for subtle signals while gold detecting, they may have thought it was junk if it screamed loud.

Can you tell silver from gold with a PI machine?

There were about 6 holes dug within a feet of the coin (and they need to learn to backfill their holes). After thinking about it I believe it is just running a coil over the right spot. The coin was close to the surface, maybe 4" down at the most, so I recon even the cheapest of machines would have pinged it.

Still happy it was me that found it. :)

Be good if someone could answer my question though.

Cliff

Yes you can tell the difference on some pi detectors, the Infinium will show silver up as a low/high tone for high conductors like silver, and high/low tone for low conductors like gold. Lots of junk also happens to be highly conductive, so they may have decided to keep walking.

Still, even so, you should dig everything with a PI detector in the goldfields, lots of relics and coins/tokens to be found as you have found out.

I also think I know the area you are talking about, just on the uphill slope off the walking track, a quartz strewn area that has been dug to death by someone with a PI detector, they made a real mess.

Goldpick said:
Yes you can tell the difference on some pi detectors, the Infinium will show silver up as a low/high tone for high conductors like silver, and high/low tone for low conductors like gold. Lots of junk also happens to be highly conductive, so they may have decided to keep walking.

Still, even so, you should dig everything with a PI detector in the goldfields, lots of relics and coins/tokens to be found as you have found out.

I also think I know the area you are talking about, just on the uphill slope off the walking track, a quartz strewn area that has been dug to death by someone with a PI detector, they made a real mess.

Yeah Goldpick, on the uphill side but a fair distance down the track. have to be 2.5km from the car park. I don't know who looks after the area but it sure needs a fuel reduction burn. I would not like to be near there in the summer if it goes up.

Latest posts