My 705 just broke++Tragedy

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has happened to my exact same coil today. 8.(
Did not abuse it, maybe heat and age have taken its toll but i feel its more a poor design fault. :N: :N: :mad:
Probably could have given it more care on reflection , but still too whimpy plastic ears. :poop:
How did you fix yours GreenRiver if you are out there? :)

After the failure of the ears on the Concentric coil i put on the DD coil that has been sitting on top of the cupboard mainly unused.
I purchased the Dual Pack in 2017.

A week later all the outer plastic cover on the cable has decided to part ways :mad:🍋🚑
Any one else had this problem? Or is it the Top End heat causing this?
It still works , will have to run some tape over the whole cable to protect it i guess.🪖
.🚑:mad:IMG20220312101407 (Medium).jpgIMG20220223181149 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
If you try to repair the plastic, it might be an option to use acetone - I have repaired some plastic parts: if that plastics is soluble in acetone you can use that like a glue. I do not know the material of the black coil plastic used - but here is a link to a table that shows what will not resist acetone and that means it can be used to glue parts together:
https://www.curbellplastics.com/Research-Solutions/Chemical-Resistance-of-Plastics
Acetone used to be in nailpolishremover - but does not have to be anymore

My 505 did that too, it is still sitting on a self waiting repair or a new coil.
Minelab suggested I take off both tabs and glue some ally angle to the top of the coil,
suggested it won't interfere much at all, but I thought it would make it less sensitive with the ally in the middle of the coil.
So it awaits trial by acetone now.
Funny that there is a bottle of it about 6 feet from the coil up on the shelf... never do today, what ya can put off for years.. 🤡

Maybe next weekend.

Thanks for your suggestions Elfe and Greenhornet_au,
I cannot believe that Minelab told you to do that Green one?
What a dumb thing to do .
Might have a crack at Muks ' suggestion.
Cheers.

I did see something on ebay that might be a solution or at least help somewhat:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/293706262593?hash=item446241e841:g:LfIAAOSwwY9fO~a8

as for the acetone - it would be good to know what the coilmaterial is and then find out if acetone would actually dissolve it. If it does, then find a few pieces of that material and add the acetone (in a glasjar) until you have a sticky mass and that you put in the crack and around the pieces to stabelize it - just like welding - only it is plastic.

The housings are made of ABS plastic use an old skid plate or scraps of ABS plastic cut into small pieces put into an old vegemite or peanut paste bottle and cover with clear plumbing Primer Fluid (MEK) and leave it for 24 hours to dissolve then keep adding Primer fluid or more ABS until you get the constituency that you require this is what I use when I hand fabricate prototype housings and for bonding vacuum formed housings and for repairs.

Regards, Ian.

Thanks Ian for your suggestion.👍
I took the coil to my mate Bill ,who has everything to fix anything.
First, repair the cracked ear which is still just hanging on.
Loctite 406 did the job easily.
Next was to cut a bit of hard plastic the same width to size for the other ear which was missing the bit over the top of the thread hole.
Glue that on with 406 .
Then cut some plastic to support around the thread hole which Minelab failed to do.
Bill then applied a 2 part RapidFix ,glue and powder, to fill in the gaps.
Job done.😁
The Concentric coil is heavier than the DD coil which has much better supports around the thread hole.😒
The middle of the hole on the DD is 15mm from the top of the coil whereas it is 20mm on the Concentric coil.😤
Hope this helps others that have the same problem.
IMG20220320154924 (Medium).jpg
IMG20220320155252 (Medium).jpg
IMG20220320155154 (Medium).jpg
IMG20220320160344 (Medium).jpg

My coil cracked the same ear off also, in storage (?), I was at Minelabs yesterday and they were pretty good about servicing a number of machines still under warranty, but the coil they don't want to know. Happy to sell a new one I'm sure, but as they should be a life long item for the 505 it is a bit rough to write off a detector for a crappy design for attachment of the coil, it easily could be beefier and sturdier.

I'm not trying to rubbish Minelab, but they should understand that supporting their product even if it has weaknesses is very important, coils are not cheap, it seems to be a common thing with the Minelab coils ears (yoke) being weak and a bit fragile.
Plenty of 3D printed "yoke strengtheners" available for pretty much all Minelab coils, from Ebay or 3D printing lads.
I might have to print one at the library to try it, bond it on with water proof liquid nails building adhesive, and fill the gap of the broken ear with epoxy. There is even a free .stl file for a broken single side to a yoke for the 505 yoke, it is that common.
It is disappointing and frustrating, on a number of levels, that's all. Sad to see it.

Coil Ears Protector for Minelab Equinox 600 800 11" https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4103992
1x leg broken https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/various/minelab-eqx11-reparation-1-patte
Minelab Equinox 600 800 Coil stiffener / saver https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/tool/equinox-600-800-coil-stiffner-saver

Ctx 11" Coil Stiffener https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5181556
Minelab X-Terra the coil bracket https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4387579

Just search for the 3D printer files, they are out there on the net.

Kato needs a new coil for her CTX3030, wiring is cactus at the coil, that's been worked hard by her and it's a 2012 model, so 10yrs is reasonable for a wire to fatigue and break - I will pull the old one apart and see if I can effect a repair for a spare on land anyway.
There have been 3 previous owners, I reckon she has worked it the hardest. LOL 🤣
So I have no problem with that at all, fair wear and tear.

I also took in a Minelab 25 pinpointer because the rubber buttons were perished and cracking, strange thing is that it has only spent around 20 hours in the field and mixed sunlight at the most, it belongs to Miss 11yrs that got it with the 505 when she was 7yrs and she has lost interest in the hobby, so it has been sitting in her detecting bag for over 3 years. Guess what - no parts, really ? No parts ! No rubber button replacements.
When it gives up, I will not buy a Minelabs pinpointer again because there are no parts when the model changes, our Deteknix are going strong, we have 3x and all parts that I know of are available from Nenad, a member here. He has provided some minor parts already. (LOL, rubber buttons)
Our Deteknix pinpointers have hundreds of hours in the field and not missed a beat, except Kato has nearly worn out the pointy end of hers even with the protective caps, she is a serious hunter.
(thanks again AngerManagement - she is still thinking of your kindness, mentioned you two weeks ago) 👍

Last edited:
Well despite my disappointment about the 505 coil and the pinpointer.

I dropped the detectors off on Monday at Minelabs and got a call at around 12.00 noon today (Wednesday) to be told they are all done,
pressure tested, software upgraded, screen protectors changed.
Full works and jerks oil change and lube.

A one and a half day turn around for servicing several machines, and replacing parts on the CTX too.
The cost was better then quoted too, they were friendly at every conversation.
So... despite my disappointments, I feel that the Service Support was a good experience.
YES, a good experience. 👍
Which is a bonus to have them here in Adelaide.

When Kato and I dropped off the detectors, they were asking if we wanted them delivered back, I did thank them and said I would pick up
when they were ready. Looks like Friday is the go get day.

The few times that I've had reason to return something to Minelab the service provided was exceptional, fast and free including the return freight. The last item was the GPX6000 coil that had a faulty cable connection. The coil was replaced and it arrived in Darwin before we got there.

Same as above regards experience with Minelab. The service they have supplied me over any issue even if it was no fault of their own is second to no other item I have ever purchased in my lifetime. I either deal direct with Minelab or thru Phase Technical as a dealer and any issue has not not been an issue. A friendly approach to the problem one must add always assists in a great result 👍 A lug on a coil breaking is indeed a bugger but in my world far from being a tragedy :rolleyes:🤣

Last edited:

Latest posts