Mudgee area

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all you rock-washers out there,

I'm heading to Mudgee in a couple of weeks with the family. I'm looking for a common area to throw my pan in. I'm thinking common knowledge areas similar to Tuena, Oallen, wattle flat etc, with relatively easy access. Places that everybody knows about. The purpose of my visit is not looking for gold, but I would like to have a go while I'm there.

I understand that we do not do 'X' marks the spot on this forum, so I am definitely not asking for that.

I did have a look at this: https://www.visitmudgeeregion.com.au/local-experiences/fossicking/ But it wasn't totally what I was after. Looking through the forum was not a lot of help.

I also had a look at Minview. And there are a lot of indicators on places to go (A little bit exciting to be honest), but I'm not up for navigating between crown land and private property etc, the normal stuff you are happy to do when you are looking into a new area.

If there is not common spot, no worries, just thought I'd ask.

thanks

The link you put up above does outline the common knowledge areas like Tuena, Oallen, Wattle Flat etc.
All of the areas mentioned are common knowledge areas but there are numerous "common" spots in each location.
The biggest issue you're going to have for a trip like that is access to them, particularly closer to Mudgee or Gulgong.
Unfortunately fossicking in NSW these days, even for a short trip, requires some planning + navigating around private land & crown land.
I'm hesitant to recommend any specific areas at all these days as NSW Crown Lands now require that fossickers either have the permission of Crown Land managers or where unmanaged a NSW Crown Lands issued temporary (12 month) fossicking permit. To get the permit you need to contact NSW Crown Lands (nearest office Orange) & have the DP + Lot no.s of the land you want to access. It's an easy & free process but can take up to a week or so to finalise.
The easiest solution would be to head out to Hill End (~50min drive) & stick within the boundaries of the Hill End/Tambaroora Common (the Common Trust allow fossicking so no permit required). There are numerous creeks/gullies on the Common to have a go in.
There is a good map on the link below outlining the Common boundaries + other areas requiring a permit or off limits.
https://www.bathurstregion.com.au/t...cking-in-bathurst-region/hill-end-fossicking/

Thanks Mbasko. I didn't know about the crown access permit.

Yeah, maybe I will head out to hill end, its been a while since I've been there. The other option is to have a bit of a play between Sofala and Capertee.

I've been to those places before and I really like them, but I thought there may be something easy out mudgee way. No stress though, I think I'll only probably be able to have a pan for an hour or two anyway.

Latest posts