Mt Disappointment

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You are allowed to be near an exempt creek, it is what you do in them that matters. And I started prospecting there in 1962 with my father, and have held a number of exploration licences over the area since.

goldierocks said:
You are allowed to be near an exempt creek, it is what you do in them that matters. And I started prospecting there in 1962 with my father, and have held a number of exploration licences over the area since.

if its exempt it means you can not pan or sluice in it its the law ??

you may as well put a big x on the exact spot ffs there's enough people going there already and there has been at least 2 people I have seen dredging that creek at Tyack. the locals are getting sick of the muddy water always flowing downstream some actually collect it with pumps to use imagine watering your garden with silt ?? they are also sick of people going there early on sat and starting their noisy pumps up at like 6 and 7am and I am getting sick of filling in all the dam holes people leave open and some are the size of tables. and im sick of all the rubbish people leave behind. just have some respect for the area parks vic have seen it they are also not happy they will start patrolling it very soon.

goldierocks said:

I'm just learning to catch fish with a tin dish, sometimes I miss and get dirt in the dish...oops.. :lol:

Id say it may seem a blind eye is being shown but it simply is that not all dewlp staff no about prospecting and mining regulations as it is its own section and not all staff are authorised officers who can give fines or take appropriate action

Ewan1987 said:
I work for delwp and i prospect mt disappointment and tallarook as there part of our area we cover i can put you in some good spots just send me a msg if your intrested

Hi Ewan,
I'm only new here so don't think I send direct messages yet. I'd be interested to hear of any spots around mt disappointment and tallarook that might be worth filling a pan with.

I'll second any input from Ewan1987 for info. on the Mt Disappointment, Flowerdale & Strath Creek areas. Always looking for something close to home as opposed to treking out the the GT :perfect:

Just to clarify, the Mt Disappointment Range is granodiorite and this rock contains not a trace of gold there. Other localities are in the catchment and definitely out of bounds. You have to go further afield where I (and others) have discussed - Clonbinane, Reedy Creek, Flowerdale, Kinglake, St Andrews etc. But careful of parks even there,

Hey all, brand new know nothing bloke, I want to throw a general question, I live around flowerdale on a block with lots of dry creeks and rocky hills, anyone got any knowledge around granny hill side for detecting.lets say spring valley road side to flowerdale strath road. I reckon from research I had prospectors on my place way back. Cheers

Hunting the yellow said:
nar reedy creek was really poor most mines wore getting only 1 ounce per ton that's only 31 grams of gold for every 1000kgs of rock moved/crushed not worth the effort Kinglake and diamond ck mines wore much richer but had water problems going deep. and in the creeks around Panton hill they wore finding up to 20oz nuggets.
Only a few areas in Victoria ever had more than an ounce per tonne average - that is high grade. A number at Reedy Creek exceeded that, but the problem is tonnage ( smaller at Kinglake and Panton Hill, a bit bigger at Diamond Creek). It is easy to find one tonne going one oz per tonne in many reefs (because you start mining an obvious rich outcrop discovery first), but once you have mined a few thousand tonnes the grade will average far less (exceptions being some mines in places like Bendigo, Tarnagulla, Walhalla to name a few). Water was rarely a problem on big mines (I know of no hard-rock mines of any size in Victoria that stopped for that reason), it was just the tiny ones worked by a man and his dog could not justify the cost of installing expensive pumps.

Last edited by a moderator:
you may as well put a big x on the exact spot ffs there's enough people going there already and there has been at least 2 people I have seen dredging that creek at Tyack. the locals are getting sick of the muddy water always flowing downstream some actually collect it with pumps to use imagine watering your garden with silt ?? they are also sick of people going there early on sat and starting their noisy pumps up at like 6 and 7am and I am getting sick of filling in all the dam holes people leave open and some are the size of tables. and im sick of all the rubbish people leave behind. just have some respect for the area parks vic have seen it they are also not happy they will start patrolling it very soon.
Correct, you cannot legally pan or sluice in it. But you can legally explore for hard-rock gold deposits around it if you hold title (as I did in the 1990s). As for panning with my father, it was long before there was such a thing as exempt streams (1962 as I said). And anyone who can use Google can find Tyaak, it is hardly a secret. Don't know why people would go there when there are so many other places to go legally. It does not help recreational prospecting if some people flout regulations.

i Live five mins away and know a bit about the place, ask away😁😁
Interesting so do I 😁😁

The amount of illegal prospecting with regard to pans,sluicing and even dredging is a serious problem. I know of 3 locals who had a site meeting along a section of Dabyminga Creek with DWELP last Tuesday. The amount of rubbish IE: filthy dunny roll 😒 cans,bottles from softdrink, water, alcohol and food packaging and everything in between is a bloody disgrace 😤😫☹️

I'll definitely be taking photos of any mongrel I see making life hard for those of us who do the right things.

Last edited:
Hi mate I'd be very interested in hearing off some places to explore.

Mod edit:
No personal contact details on the forum please:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/⚠️-prospecting-australia-forum-rules.5495/#post-649918
Interesting so do I 😁😁

The amount of illegal prospecting with regard to pans,sluicing and even dredging is a serious problem. I know of 3 locals who had a site meeting along a section of Dabyminga Creek with DWELP last Tuesday. The amount of rubbish IE: filthy dunny roll 😒 cans,bottles from softdrink, water, alcohol and food packaging and everything in between is a bloody disgrace 😤😫☹️

I'll definitely be taking photos of any mongrel I see making life hard for those of us who do the right things.
I know exactly where you are talking about and it is absolutely disgusting these days. it used to be relatively pristine bush and a nice place to spend a day but I don’t spend much time there any more. Unfortunately the prospectors doing this are of the toothless variety who I firmly believe use prospecting to subsidise other habits. And it only happened when the area started getting mentioned on FB forums.

Yep FB and the reality TV shows have soured the hobby no end unfortunately. Sure was a pristine place as you mentioned, truth is there still are some great areas where we go with the grand kids for a snag on the fire and a billy tea. Having access through private property where the general public can't access is the only reason its not trashed, sad but true.

I know exactly where you are talking about and it is absolutely disgusting these days. it used to be relatively pristine bush and a nice place to spend a day but I don’t spend much time there any more. Unfortunately the prospectors doing this are of the toothless variety who I firmly believe use prospecting to subsidise other habits. And it only happened when the area started getting mentioned on FB forums.
What fb forums ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts