Mount Crawford gem locations

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LORD

Jay
Reaction score
Hi all,
Swapping the detector for a pick and shovel in the hopes of finding some gems in the Mount crawford area.
Going to call into the forestry headquarters a d grab a map but any idea where to start in the public access areas?
I have a lot of experience around watts on the Gold but never ventured north of there.
Is it a matter of digging in gravels or planning the gullys.
Honestly just out to have a good day and hopefully get something of interest.
Appreciate any help I can get from people that have had luck there in the past
?

Any help :argh:
I'm probably going to head out there tomorrow and maybe swag it out if weather's good :perfect:

G'day mate, how did you go out there? I'm hoping to get up to Mount Crawford at some point soon to have a look for some crystals. Not too fussed with what I find, just trying to get into things a bit. Any location tips would be great.

There is an old book by Len Dallow, Dellow ? He was from the Southern Rock Hounds he made lots of mud maps in this book it had places from all over South Australia including Mount Crawford, I and a friend used the book on many occasions and found some nice stones one place we found some small garnets on a track followed them for a bit up a slight hill till they stopped so then we started digging on the left side of the track and dug up 50 cent size garnets covered with mica the stones had a lot of cracks but they where in a small slip or fault that would have cracked them under alot of pressure if you dug away from the slip the garnets may be better, if you can find the place it's around the corner from a car park? Will see If I can find the book I will give you more information, it was like digging up potatoes.

Matrix007 said:
Will see If I can find the book I will give you more information, it was like digging up potatoes.

Thanks mate, much appreciated.

I've seen Len's book mentioned a few times. I think there's a reference copy in the state library - might drop in there one lunch break and have a look.

Hello Greg I finally found Lens book have taken some pics of places around my Crawford will post them when I work out how to resize and post them, I do remember there was a place with few trees and granite outcrops west side is a fence and a track where you should find garnets on the surface.

Matrix007 said:
Hello Greg I finally found Lens book have taken some pics of places around my Crawford will post them when I work out how to resize and post them, I do remember there was a place with few trees and granite outcrops west side is a fence and a track where you should find garnets on the surface.

Cheers mate very much appreciated. Happy for you to shoot me an email if you can't get them uploaded here! :D

Priv contact details not allowed on open forum.

Thank you Jaros just gota work out how to use this phone last one ended up under the tracks of the excavator, was not accidental.

G'Day Lord

Have you ever tried this site -> https://map.sarig.sa.gov.au/

LORD said:
Swapping the detector for a pick and shovel in the hopes of finding some gems in the Mount crawford area.

I'm like you I have given up on AU around MC, never found any in 10 years of trying :(

LORD said:
Honestly just out to have a good day and hopefully get something of interest.

Good exercise :)

LORD said:
Appreciate any help I can get from people that have had luck there in the past ?

I have had luck, but I wouldn't publish any finds on here, it is illegal in SA to do what everyone else can do with finds in the rest of Oz, already had trouble with ATO due to BCs

Latest posts