Minelab Warranty and Warranty transfer information/ questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mate ,
It wont work out cheaper buying from the USA, or you will break even You will have to pay import duty and GST plus postage on it and I believe that the warranty will be voided.
Minelab licence their dealers to only sell their product in their own county, so a dealer selling to an overseas address would be against their agreement with ML.

Also if you do find a shop willing to sell to you are they selling the legit machine or a copy

You could get it sent to the AUSPOST shop in the US and have it redirected to you but the hassals just to save a few $ is it worth it?

Buy the Aussie version from a dealer here and if you have problems you know that you are covered. Its an expensive investment to make , better to be on the safe side and you will just have to find a bit extra gold to pay for it :p

I have had a few detectors from the USA no warranty at the moment you have to pay about 25% because of the dollar exchange rate and there was no duty plus there is a exchange rate if buying on ebay paypal ,but after june there will be duty on every thing that comes in to AUS regards john :)

Thanks Guys :)

Someone told me they had worldwide warranty, so thought I'd double check.

Had a look on Amazon US and found they sold/shipped one for $250AUD (inc shipping), though only a small saving, but being summer over there, thought I'd keep an eye out for sales/deals... might even get for $200
At the moment, I don't think there's any import duties/GST on goods under $1000 (yet)

I'll keep an eye out for Aus dealers, though how likely are deals to popup during winter ?

I though that if you were going to go to the trouble of importing a detector you would be buying a SDC, 4500 or a better machine, not a Go-find 60. Also if you read the answered questions section they state that they will only post to a US address as its Minelabs Policy so you also have to factor in the cost of postage to Australia from the US. Thats why I mentioned the GST and import duties.

You would be better off joining Anaconda Club and use your first purchase discount voucher to buy the detector. Thats how I bought my 705. Joined Anaconda and got 20% off the 705. Saved around $180 at the time. {)

Balmain Bob said:
I though that if you were going to go to the trouble of importing a detector you would be buying a SDC, 4500 or a better machine, not a Go-find 60.
Importing those, not only is significantly above what I can afford (for a 1st detector), but also those are more expensive after exchange rate and Import fees (being over $1000).

I was checking out the GoFind 40, which came to $252.46 inc. shipping. Being under $1000, there's no gst/import fees (yet)

Balmain Bob said:
Also if you read the answered questions section they state that they will only post to a US address as its Minelabs Policy so you also have to factor in the cost of postage to Australia from the US. Thats why I mentioned the GST and import duties.

They'll ship to Australia, maybe not other countries though.

Balmain Bob said:
You would be better off joining Anaconda Club and use your first purchase discount voucher to buy the detector. Thats how I bought my 705. Joined Anaconda and got 20% off the 705. Saved around $180 at the time. {)

I joined, but haven't recieved a discount code :(. For 20% off, that would make the GoFind 40 $239, and I'd certainly consider buying one :)

Mate if money is tight you could always buy it at Anaconda through their Open pay system, 20% deposit and 6 months interest free to pay it off. Thats how i bought my 705. I was a pensioner at the time and had very little spare cash but it got me up and running and I was able to find enough coins to cover the payments each fortnight.

If you can get it shipped - Forget Warranty being done by ML in Australia.

For a few $ at best = Not worth it...

And if you can not afford something a bit better and just scraping to pay for a GoFind 40... Then be aware costs for other accessories etc and a 1/2 good pin pointer will cost you another $200 plus. Then add in all the driving and coffee :)

Not a good hrly return.... We do it for exercise - Think of the $ as Gym Fees :)

AngerManagement said:
If you can get it shipped - Forget Warranty being done by ML in Australia.

For a few $ at best = Not worth it...

And if you can not afford something a bit better and just scraping to pay for a GoFind 40... Then be aware costs for other accessories etc and a 1/2 good pin pointer will cost you another $200 plus. Then add in all the driving and coffee :)

Not a good hrly return.... We do it for exercise - Think of the $ as Gym Fees :)

Thanks AngerManagement. I understand that and would only do it if it were 100% a manufacturer would handle warranty regardless of country of purchase, though as it seems, there could be a headache getting a warranty claim, Ill just stick with Aus stock. (though I did send ML a message about International Warranty, waiting to hear what they say)

Regarding accessories, spades Im planning on making, based on a template on these forums. I don't really need anything super dooper, just enough to dig a plug.

With those pin-point wands, I don't really understand why they're so costly :/ .. don't you just poke the grass/dirt pile until it goes beep? Wouldn't the detector do 99% of the work anyway (which the 40 has a pinpoint function :))

I was considering just getting a PP from ebay, they seem to work (though at only 1-2"), any advantages of spending big ? Some people just poke the area with a screwdriver :p

Plenty of parks here, I walk/ride mostly, and I don't drink coffee :Y::D

you better off buying a detector from gumtree, something within convenient driving distance, something modern, ask on here wether its a good option first. You should only have to pay 100ish, for something that will match a gofind.

rocketaroo said:
you better off buying a detector from gumtree, something within convenient driving distance, something modern, ask on here wether its a good option first. You should only have to pay 100ish, for something that will match a gofind.

Thanks Rocket :)

i got a Minelab PRO-FIND 25 pinpointer $190
and i found it very handy for finding that little thing that makes the detector go off but you just cant seem to find it
makes life so much easier

Do not go using a spade - Nough SAID

But until you spend some time with some one with some experience; you will never know. But you will waste $ and time and get frustrated.

A bit like going deep sea fishing and taking kids gear from the cheep shop...

AngerManagement said:
Do not go using a spade - Nough SAID

Who's Nough? I didn't really wanna make a larger spade, would be too much hassle carrying around and pretty suss, was gonna make a custom little spade, one of those little hand held trowels.

Hey Guys,

Tathradj said:
Widget,
I do not like your connotations.
Just go buy what you can afford here in Australia and be done with it.
We don't like any Ghosting or save a buck or two just because you are
fishing for information or a cheap way out. ]:D

I don't quite follow what you're saying, & not sure what you mean by ghosting ?

My intentions of this post and questions within it were never about "fishing for information or a cheap way out" & I find this quite upsetting tbh. My intentions were simply to broaden my options of sourcing a much better entry level detector, that would fit within a price range that I could afford, or at least get close enough to it, and if that means looking outside of Australia, I was willing to do just that.

Now, despite MineLab getting back to me & informing me, they do in fact have Worldwide warranty and will warrant US purchase within Australia, I already said in a previous post I would not worry about importing and just stick with Aus stock.

I also took Balmain Bobs advice and registered with Anaconda, & will also keep an eye out for sale from them. I've also, on the advice of other members, have been scouring ebay, gumtree, prospectingaustralia & Facebook marketplace for any 'name brand' 2nd hand units.

All feedback, & suggestions, from all members, is very much appreciated, & I do take all information they share into consideration. I'm sure anyone who's not financially equipped to buy the good stuff, but wants to get close, would do what I did, and source one as cheap as they can.

To conclude, if you wish to end/close this thread, by all means. Thank you to all for the comments, it's much appreciated.

Regards,

Widget

I apologize if I offended you.
I got the wording a bit wrong. :8
Too much going on in the background
when I was typing that. :|
I think that you can see the main theme that people are
pushing.
Is it it worth the hassle to save a dollar or two. ?
Buy local.
Worth it in the long run.
Sound better. ??

Hey Widget, alot of these guys will tell you to buy an SDC of something expensive cos "You will get frustrated using a shitty cheap detector"

I started off with a cheap one from dick smith 25 years ago and i i still reckon its ok.

grab a second hand one, or an aldi special and get out there. In my experience warranties run out before you use them, but support aus buisnes if you want a new one, just tell a dealer here you can get the same thing posted from the US for less, prove it to them, and they'll cut you a good deal.

You don't need to spend thousands to have fun!

Latest posts