Minelab Gpx 5000 - using Fine Gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chuky boy said:
Thanks willo. what is your preference to general and deep?

I have run in deep with good success but the more aggressive settings in special such as sensitive extra and fine gold are great. I guess I experiment until I get the best response from my test nugget. Have not run general much at all.

It can all become a little confusing/fun/challenging!!!detectors are quite a financial investment and while reading and learning are enjoyable, it would be very comforting to know you are giving yourself the BEST chance while out in the field! This post and others on the forum have re-iterated to me that you need a test piece and a little time each day before 'cracking on'! Chuky Boy you mentioned you have been out recently and have the 5000 performing well - is this in victoria? and do you now have some 'go to' settings for your area as start points for fine tuning? stru

Gday all just wondering if any of you have found that the gpx runs much quieter in fine gold settings on hot ground. I’m new to this machine and am wondering if I’m losing much depth running in fine gold tests I have made on targets appear to show that I’m not losing much in depth compared to normal and deep settings but definitely have a smoother threshold in fine. Any comments would be appreciated.

Know nothing of the 5000 other than what I have been told. What I do know is a bit of a search on YouTube may well find a demonstration of what you are seeking. Also the minelab website and forums like this. That applies to most detectors. Good luck.

Fine Gold works very well on hot ground. It was designed for use in high mineralisation. The trade off is it can be more susceptible to EMI.
Usually between Fine Gold & Enhance you can detect ok with a mono but Enhance probably gives up more depth.
Here's a handy paper including timings graphs (if you don't already have them):
https://www.minelab.com/__files/f/37558/GPX-4500-VS-GPX-5000.pdf

Thanks guys I will take a look also I haven’t run a DD on this machine yet is it worth buying one cause I would at the moment only use it for its iron discrimination features as I think I’m getting good depth and stability out of my stock 12” and 17x10 mono coils

Thanks Jaros I’ve been watching and reading on here for some time and this is the first time I’ve posted questions. It’s a great forum thanks for your advice. I’ve had DD coils before on older machines a
Gp3000 and I liked it’s blade like search pattern and great pinpointing ability. Do you think aftermarket coils are better than stock if so what has been the best for any of you on a 5000

Judging by your question you haven't read the manual at all, I suggest you do so.
The Commander 11" mono is one of the best coils out there for the 5k.
Whilst reading and researching, Run your machine in factory settings, fine gold on front panel.
If you walk over gold you will pick it up.
Plenty of good info on the forum, look at it.

Thanks Jaros I’ve been watching and reading on here for some time and this is the first time I’ve posted questions. It’s a great forum thanks for your advice. I’ve had DD coils before on older machines a
Gp3000 and I liked it’s blade like search pattern and great pinpointing ability. Do you think aftermarket coils are better than stock if so what has been the best for any of you on a 5000
I think you’ll find that the stock mono is 11 inch not 12 inch.
When I had my 5000 I bought a 12 inch round NF Evo and it never came off the detector once I started using it.
Found most of my gold with it...... super sensitive to tiny gold and able to punch deep on + grammers.

Actually I’ve read the manual cover to cover many times 💁‍♂️ But I’m hearing so much chatter about coils like the evolution series and others that make claims to be much better than stock coils my question was for those that had tried both stock and aftermarket coils and their thoughts on what they found. I was not looking for an assumption that I was an idiot that didn’t even read the instructions for my machine. I have been detecting for some time with numerous machines and have a very good understanding for me it’s about not wasting money on items that have little or no increase in my machines capabilities.

Thanks guys I will take a look also I haven’t run a DD on this machine yet is it worth buying one cause I would at the moment only use it for its iron discrimination features as I think I’m getting good depth and stability out of my stock 12” and 17x10 mono coils
Worth having one but in reality you will probably rarely use it. Most persevere with a mono on GPX's with the smooth timings & only use a DD as a last resort. Not really good practice though, we should be more prepared to use a DD when necessary but the ingrained belief is they lose too much depth & sensitivity so we tend to try to stick with a mono. Persevering with noise & lowering settings etc. when using a mono in noisy ground or high EMI can be equally as detrimental.
Also using a DD can allow use of deeper timings in ground you wouldn't entertain using them with a mono coil.

My bad Ozzie yea 11” 😝 thanks I’ve heard similar about the Evos. I had a few NF advantage coils on my old 3000 that worked great I’ve tried them on my 5000 briefly but stock coils left them for dead I think a 12”evo would suit my area too 👍🏿

Thanks basco I totally agree I’m lucky to have very little emi where I detect and can run quite high gain settings and still have a pretty stable threshold.. but I do hit a few areas I think are hiding gold and relics with lots of iron junk and if I get keen to pick thru it I would pretty much have to use a DD to use the discrimination feature of my 5000 and trust it!! to save spending the day digging iron junk.

I've got to agree with Aussie Au about the 12 inch Nuggetfinder, I found it way quieter than the ML coils and I wouldn't use anything else but a Nuggetfinder coil on my 5000

Thanks basco I totally agree I’m lucky to have very little emi where I detect and can run quite high gain settings and still have a pretty stable threshold.. but I do hit a few areas I think are hiding gold and relics with lots of iron junk and if I get keen to pick thru it I would pretty much have to use a DD to use the discrimination feature of my 5000 and trust it!! to save spending the day digging iron junk.
If you use the discrimination to eliminate the iron you'll probably eliminate the gold as well

Thanks guys good advice I’m sold on a NF evo plenty of chatter about them working well and an improvement on stock 👍🏿

Thanks guys good advice I’m sold on a NF evo plenty of chatter about them working well and an improvement on stock 👍🏿
Hi Davo,
Re the missing gold in discriminate Ive heard that comment a fair bit and it made me curious so I have spent a lot of time , I mean a lot lot of time experimenting with it in junk areas in GT and WA and SA, digging to check and over hundreds of targets it was 100 % accurate ferrous or non ferrous. ( didn't often turn lead into gold though, bummer)
The only time I dig to check now is when a target blanks out as the blanking signal of a I/2 oz nuggy near the surface can confuse me with the ferrous signal. I run my setting on 5 mostly. In normal areas obviously I run my NF mono's but in a junk yard Ive had extremely good success with the discrimination and DD.
Me missing gold would more likely come from fatigue and swinging too fast, dam I hate myself for swinging too fast.
cheers Johno

DD is great under power lines, these settings are a bit strange but under big power lines it WORKS & runs very quiet

DD coil
Run in MONO
Swich ON CANCEL
INVERT the signal
RX gain as high as possible

You'll lose plenty of depth but you'll be where most can't get their head around it.
So yes get a DD coil because you never know when those power lines will pass straight through the gold field!

Latest posts