Minelab Gold Monster 1000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big thanks for the advice Joe!! Been an arduous few weeks hunting around all kinds of old workings looking for good white clay heaps finding all sorts of lead and so on but my partner and I finally found some of the mullok we were really after and after a couple of days of really focusing on the spot, we found a nice little picker :)

It's definitely much easier targeting the white mullok with the GM as a beginner. The first step I think is to really hear a target where it sits and the clay mullok provides the nice quiet ground to learn on. Bloody hard to learn 1 sound amongst iron jibberish when strictly speaking, you don't know what the sound even is yet! It's not impossible but I think its gotta be hard... The look we gave each other after the first scrape was priceless haha such a sweet tone, different, but we both knew it was a special sound still with half an inch to dig as it turned out. Again, cheers Joe!!
1631094957_20210908_174325_copy_1308x1745.jpg
Hi Jimmy, I am sorry I missed your post, I have not been on the forum a great deal posting, call it a crazy, crazy end to 2021. I am stoked that you both had the mullock find, it is such a buzz every time gold shows in the scoop! May there be many more for you. P.S. you have probably done it but using Google maps really helps show the pipeclay areas when you are scoping out a likely spot of diggings. May many more Gold Monster (GOLD) finds come your way 👍

Well now, my GM1000 is so good, it picks up glass bottles! Does it matter that both bottles have aluminium screw tops?;)
Also, pulled up a .177 lead pellet from 14 cm depth.
Bobj.

Ive been using the gold monster now for 3 months its paid for its self 5 times over
When I first bought it I started flooding my skull with how to use vids on YouTube..while at first they were informative I was soon shocked to see that most vids on YouTube were far from the truth
The first week I followed what was published both by minelab and from fellow users :(
I was finding gold but was finding that I was missing much more.
I re visited old ground I had detected determined to persist ground noise and ground balancing
Running the Gold Monster full noise 10 sensitivity and all metal mode I was soon realising that all the vids I watched were very wrong
I was picking up gold everywhere..yes ground noise is fing annoying and non stop in highly mineralised ground but the reward has been unbelievable
Learning the sounds and tones given off by a clean gold target .things only got better..moving to the small coil and hitting trashy well flogged ground the gold monster just got that much better... after learning the sounds I was now set to persist the trash and score the goods
Do not believe the ferrous non ferrous (indicator) bar as this is only a guide for you to decide wether to dig or let be
I have dug many targets that have come up as full iron only to dig down 4 inches to see the indication change to full non ferrous resulting in gold
In a nutshell this machine is underused by many users and will continue to do so ( I have not ground balanced nor changed the sensitivity for months) turn it on hold in the air for 15 seconds set to full sensitivity all metal mode no auto ...start swinging
Hope this helps people .. see all my pics and vids on insta #shokkyslave
If anyone has any questions I will answer be happy to answer
Thanks so much for this info. Really informative! Can I please ask if you always just use the small coil and go "low and slow" or sweep first with the larger coil. The chit chat doesn't bother me that much. Prefer the machine to be talking than completely silent even if it is just hot ground! Thank you! Tanya

Hi Maccatuna! Still finding my feet with the Gold Monster. Do you mind if I ask do you always use the small coil and could you please point me in the direct of the vid you made? Thank you!!! Tanya

This is what he said in an earlier post:
maccatuna: see all my pics and vids on insta #shokkyslave
Here's one of his on YouTube:

Last edited:
Ive been using the gold monster now for 3 months its paid for its self 5 times over
When I first bought it I started flooding my skull with how to use vids on YouTube..while at first they were informative I was soon shocked to see that most vids on YouTube were far from the truth
The first week I followed what was published both by minelab and from fellow users :(
I re visited old ground I had detected determined to persist ground noise and ground balancing
Running the Gold Monster full noise 10 sensitivity and all metal mode I was soon realising that all the vids I watched were very wrong
I was picking up gold everywhere..yes ground noise is fing annoying and non stop in highly mineralised ground but the reward has been unbelievable
Learning the sounds and tones given off by a clean gold target .things only got better..moving to the small coil and hitting trashy well flogged ground the gold monster just got that much better... after learning the sounds I was now set to persist the trash and score the goods
Do not believe the ferrous non ferrous (indicator) bar as this is only a guide for you to decide wether to dig or let be
I have dug many targets that have come up as full iron only to dig down 4 inches to see the indication change to full non ferrous resulting in gold
In a nutshell this machine is underused by many users and will continue to do so ( I have not ground balanced nor changed the sensitivity for months) turn it on hold in the air for 15 seconds set to full sensitivity all metal mode no auto ...start swinging
If anyone has any questions I will answer be happy to help.

Awesome and thank you very much. Will be giving it are first outing tomorrow 🙏🏻 🤞🏻

I'm guessing this question has been asked a hundred times, but which coil? I've been only using the larger (elliptical) one and not had much success, wondering if changing coil would help or whether I really need to change detector and/or field. I've heard a lot of contradictory information about which is more/less sensitive to ground mineralisation. In the area I've being going to everything sets the machine off at higher sensitivities (8,9,10), I mean that I get multiple signals per sweep and the bedrock sets it off like its solid iron. If you guys can handle these constant noises and determine which are gold (or even which are actual targets) than that is incredible, but to me the beeps all sound the same.

Now even if the smaller coil had less ground issues, would it result in significant depth reduction, or would possibly increased sensitivity offset the depth loss due to a smaller coil?

A side note: Has anyone else had this thing where the machine just starts beeping at regular (less than quarter of a second) intervals and does not stop until turned off and on and even then that only fixes the problem briefly in some areas? Is this symptomatic of EMI interference? Haven't heard much in relation to GM1000s and EMI and ignored it completely until this started happing.

Thanks
Tom

If anyone has any questions I will answer be happy to answer
I have the monster,was about to give up on it . I have seen one other say the same as you . So I shall percervere. Thanks for the info .

I walked into my local BCF yesterday just to fill in some time whilst the bride was doing her 'girly' shopping and I spotted a bloke leaving with a box bearing the Minelab logo.

"Aha," says me "this I must investigate." I didn't know that BCF sold such goodies as I always went straight to the fishing section.

I left the shop 10 minutes later with a GM tucked under my arm and trying desperately to conjure up some sort of believable lie that the bride might accept for me spending a grand on a detector instead of the usual twenty bucks on a fishing lure.

I managed to convince her that the GM is the most sought after super sensitive reasonably priced gold detector in the known universe and I would have been mad not to buy it. Bugger me if she didn't come straight out and say "okay, you've wanted one for a while, now you've got it, so get out there and find gold."

I wonder if I could pull the same stunt with the new Ranger I was looking at last week.
Better chance of finding a huge nugget. Maybe try for a pi . Start smallish .

Great nuggets, I have a chance to buy a GM1000 with a couple of hours use for just over $1000 with 2 new coils as well , I am very tempted to get it , any others I should look at. We are complete novices.
You're in the UK, where the possibilities of detecting gold nuggets (which the GM1000 is specifically designed for), are vanishingly small. Its noisiness and ability to detect the tiniest amounts of any metal would drive you nuts very quickly.

You need a detector with good, selectable discrimination, so you can sort most of the trash before you waste your time and energy digging it. From the Minelab range, any of the Vanquish or Equinox ranges or the X-Terra Pro, would suit you much better as a starter detector.

Thank you for that info. we are heading back to Oz hence the Gold monster , but we will look for another machine and keep those in mind. Where we are there is alot of gold in artifacts and gold hordes.
There's no such thing as a 'gold-only' detector - it's just another metal - but where there is substantial trash potential, a good adjustable discrimination circuit helps to reduce the operator workload to a manageable level (always with some risk of losing a desirable target though).

If it's natural gold that you hope to find, you can't afford to risk discriminating anything out and because there's a lot more small/tiny gold than bigger pieces, you need a detector/coil combination that's hyper-sensitive to anything metallic.

Throughout Europe there is thousands of years of metal usage history, meaning thousands of years of metal trash, battle remnants, artifacts and treasure, buried in the ground. Australia only left the stone age after it began to be colonised by Europeans in the 18th century, prior to which natural gold in the form of nuggets and specimens, was the only metal here. So for metal detecting, the situations are very different.

Latest posts