Meteorite sightings

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last night i was driving home to canberra from sydney and as i passed Lake George a meteorite flashed over the car and burnt up about 200 meters away in the paddock . Half a second later there was a popping sound (maybe sonic boom or thud from hitting the ground) at 110kph its a bit of guess work :)
It was cool to see at such close proximity and im wondering whether i should go for a walk with the detector next weekend . I looked for a glow in the paddock as it was so dark but the burning stopped before it hit the ground so there may be nothing there at all.

absolutely, but may be tiny fragments also take a magnet taped to a stick, as all meteorites have nickel/iron. If it was a stoney type , metal detector will be a waste if time. Just look for blackish rocks that dont belong ;)

The PERSEID METEOR SHOWER peaks tomorrow night the further nth of Brisbane you are the more you will see. Us Southerners will have to be content with only a few per hour. Worth going out and having a look especially when its so clear. May even catch a few stragglers from the Delta Aquarids shower which was last week.

i did take note of a nearby road sign so i could have a look in the general area at least.

Latest posts