Meteorite detection.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello PA,

First post here, so a bit of a context too.
I'm embarking on a project to find Australian meteorites on a wide scale - meaning, a few square km. I don't actually intend to be there in person, it's to be automated. I'm not doing this entirely on my own, and I have some significant support from knowledgeable people, however I think it's wise to diversify information sources and besides, my sources really don't engage too much in actual meteorite finding.

I'll probably have a few questions that people in this forum might be able to help me with, but at this point I'd like to get community advice on meteorite detection methods. I know a significant number of meteorites are found by eyeballing the ground, while that's helpful, I need to explore additional methods.

Straight up, I've seen mention of metal detectors and magnetometers, though these come with their limitations in that the meteorite has to be in a suitable condition to be inductive AND magnetic (or at least, ferric). If this is the case, what KINDS of metal detectors are used by the community (i.e. how big, brands, etc.)? What kinds of tradeoffs do individuals make when choosing such a tool for meteorite-finding? (size, weight, sensitivity, power, sensitivity, etc. etc. ). Are there very significant problems with contamination by false positives with these tools? What kinds of speeds do people achieve using them?

Apologies for the barrage of questions, please let me know if anyone might be willing/able to give me a little guidance here.
Cheers.
E.

Hi emuemu, welcome to PA.

I seek gold nuggets personally (and I can't even find those!) and I'm not familiar with hunting for meteorites. However, I know there are some on here who are, so if you're patient I'm sure you will get some useful replies soon. Enjoy your hunting

D.S.

G'day emuemu welcome to PA. Have you tried contacting museums I'm not sure what scale of information you will get or it's accuracy from this site other than those who choose to share their experiences. Can you explain who you are conducting the project with and the purpose of your project a bit more. As for me I don't have any info to share.

I doubt that you'll find any meaningful answers to your queries on an Australian prospecting forum, for the simple reason that nobody's out there hunting for meteorites. Any that are found, are by accident while looking for gold. :goldnugget:

Also, strict Australian regulations on meteorite ownership and export are not conducive to the development of a meteorite hunting/trading community.

I think it was these blokes that visited Wolf Creek in one episode - the show might give you some clues as to techniques/equipment:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteorite_Men

Latest posts