Mesh for sluice box modification.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Doing a bit of a modifaction to my sluice box, I want to put some expanded mesh in as I am hunting in a fine gold area and I like the extra riffles for the gold to hide behind. Does any one know what mesh type I should be looking to get and what size is best suited? I have a 250mm width and looking at running it off a high banker with about 9000l/h flow rate. Any help would be good.

Newbie said:
Hey guys,

Doing a bit of a modifaction to my sluice box, I want to put some expanded mesh in as I am hunting in a fine gold area and I like the extra riffles for the gold to hide behind. Does any one know what mesh type I should be looking to get and what size is best suited? I have a 250mm width and looking at running it off a high banker with about 9000l/h flow rate. Any help would be good.
:D Hi newbie : Got something here many of us newbies can learn from, reed lukens is a doing evaluations on sluices I think I learned a lot about my own build too. See what you all think.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot1n8tK0nV0[/video]

PS: This guy has a lot of smart ideas.

Best regards :Steve.

I've almost finished a vid on the hi banker i use with some detailed descriptions on why certain configs. are far better than others. Lazy "L' riffles like the ones on standard boxes..( Reeds' included ) are a waste of time and effort if you want to catch all your flour gold....so is all the mathematics you read about like one in four drop for the box. All has to do with water flow and the type of vortex you create. Old style boxes were good in their day and many still swear by them...but from my experiences there are more efficient ways to trap every flake.....will post vid shortly .....Cheers Wal.

Cheers Steve and Wal. It surprises me that on high bankers and sluices that they don't come with marked settings (markings on adjustable leges) or even a spirit level which could be used for initial set up say if all legs are set to same length and then have it level. Then adjust to the right angle depending on the gold type expected through test panning. Also most come with just a standard rifle or carpet multiple accessories would be a good idea to.

Hi Newby....uploading a vid tomorrow that shows what we do and use in our highbanker....might be of interest...Cheers Wal. :)

Cheers mate it's perfect for what I wanted to know. Love the z riffles looks like I need to modify the Newbie sluice!

Hi Newbie....If you use the z config you won't be disappointed and you'll save heaps in the weight department as well. Remember that the box i use is a high volume box and if your not putting large payloads through then conventional riffles will still work for you. My best advice is ...If your thinking of large volume boxes in flour gold areas keep completely away from all the drop riffle sluice box configurations. They are great with low volume work or as a clean up sluice but once they fill with black sand the flour gold washes strait through them. Have seen this at Oallen Ford on too many occasions to mention. Good luck on your build...Cheers Wal. :)

Latest posts