Mapping Program?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wondering what you guys use to mark locations where you've prospected before? I am hoping something similar to google maps is available that can be 'marked up' and saved to a local drive....but this might be wishful thinking.....be great to have something that you can attach pics etc to and keep a record of each location.

I use Memory Map, Mapscape as well as Trilobite.

Trilobite shows mines/shallow diggings amongst other things (annual subscription).

Mapscape is used by emergency services (Victoria) and is usually a bit more detailed. You can use a default "free" version for mapping by using the VicEmergency app...

Memory -Map is what I use to mark successful locations, allows you to use different "flags" and enter comments, it's reasonably accurate with tracks and such. It is also compatible with desktop computers as well as iPad.

Sadly they all cost a few dollars, GeoVic is free but takes a bit of getting used to and can't remember if you can add "markers".

SonofOak said:
Hi All,

I am hoping something similar to google maps is available that can be 'marked up' and saved to a local drive
You can do exactly that in Google Earth. Save it as a KML file on your drive or USB and you can open/view/edit it on any computer your heart desires.

Cranky Emu said:
SonofOak said:
Hi All,

I am hoping something similar to google maps is available that can be 'marked up' and saved to a local drive
You can do exactly that in Google Earth. Save it as a KML file on your drive or USB and you can open/view/edit it on any computer your heart desires.

Thanks CE, just had a play around and it works a treat. Exactly what I was after, who would have thought!

I use oziexplorer with topographic maps on my pc. Have a laptop with a gps unit that tracks location in real time. Also have it on my phone for when away from the vehicle.

Another vote for Google Earth....Mine has placemarks for every bit of gold I have ever found. Bit anal, but looks good :) Advantage is if get onto a patch and plot each one, can see patterns of distribution.
Also can import tenements for WA Tenegraph so handy :)

I just also loaded trilobite. I already had all the gold locations on ozi. Ozi allows me to mark good ground to explore at a later stage as I normally will drive carefully thru virgin bush.

And I would really recomend to check out SAS planet - that is the ultimate platform for maps and once you have seen something on a map, the images are stored on you windows pc or laptop - that means you have them offline!
It is easy to automatic save maps in the wanted resolution(s) to your pc - and again you always have them offline auswelle.
You have to see how different the satellite images look on the different services: here, google, bing etc.
waypoints, kmz, tenements, Mindestmass - all can be imported and used as overlay.
So besides Trilobite in the field, this is my laptop tool for planing

My choose has always been Ozi -Explorer software as it allows me to connect more then on external hard drive with all Data relayed to the goldfields I am exploring at the time.

I use a Surface Pro Pc setup in my 4x4 hooked up with a GPS mouse and this gives me unlimited maps and Data selection while out in the field or just for tracking my location right up to the Alluvial ground or GeoFeature I wish to start my search. Once at the location I can either load the date seach feature to my GPS or selection the area of the map to load onto my GPS this way not wasting time seaching for the location of the area you wish to work.

This also goes with WA Data and Tenements if you like just upload the tenement you have permission to work within either 40e or granted permission from the mining company onto your GPS and away you go.

There is no internet or fee to run this, once you have built and saved all the information its yours free for every.

Ozi is one of many Mapping software that is out there to us, reseach is only a small part of finding gold but must be done, there is just so much out there in tbe web world that you can gain access to these days so grab it while you can, the time spent in the field and eyes on the ground will teacher you so much over time as you get to see just where your gold is coming out from, keep in mind you Can have the best and fastest race car but unless you have the track its your not going to get the best from it and I see this with the best detectors you got to have the best possible ground if you want the high tec detectors to do there job.

Cheers

I use oziexplorer with topographic maps on my pc. Have a laptop with a gps unit that tracks location in real time. Also have it on my phone for when away from the vehicle.
Yup, Oziexplorer here to, Full version on PC, Android ver. on mobile and tablet. It is also the base mapping program on the Hema HN7, so on used there to. I have Topo maps on all and have digitised my Doug Stone and Tulley maps as well as some Geovic maps for the Hema.

Disclaimer - The Hema HX series of navigators changed the Off Road mapping "engine". Ozi format maps will NOT work on this generation of Hema

Latest posts