Magnetite crystals

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I would like some information about magnetite crystals. We have been finding a lot of these - signal close to that of gold.
A creek full of them from almost invisible in size to the 3/4 inch specimens. Some rocks full of them. Very noisy. Is gold found in association with magnetite?
Think we will have to try elsewhere as they drive me mad with disappointment as I dig yet another one high up on flats.
Are good specimens valuable?
Thank you.

Attachments

• EE4E3A09-35F8-4298-8EC9-308C9B0B6F61.jpeg
    EE4E3A09-35F8-4298-8EC9-308C9B0B6F61.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 1
Thought everyone knew that Magnetite has many wonderful uses. Being magnetic placing these crystals on various parts of your body can have wonderful healing effects such as for arthritis, wounds, insomnia, headaches and the list continues.
From an emotional perspective it will also overcome negative emotions like anger and depression and attract love and warmth.
Some even say it is like a full massage to your Chakra.
Make sure that you look after your crystals with sage and rosemary or leave them out in the moonlight to recharge their energy.
Nice crystals though, pity they are such a nuisance to the detector. After a rough day dealing with them you could lie down with them on your brow to relieve the frustrations of the day.
PS to a collector nice examples could be valuable.

Last edited:
Goldierocks will be your man for that question, I think.

I just tried reading some information about it - that seemed like another language - and now I have a headache.
Geology is hard to get your head around!

Cheers,
Megsy

Thought everyone knew that Magnetite has many wonderful uses. Being magnetic placing these crystals on various parts of your body can have wonderful healing effects such as for arthritis, wounds, insomnia, headaches and the list continues.
From an emotional perspective it will also overcome negative emotions like anger and depression and attract love and warmth.
Some even say it is like a full massage to your Chakra.
Make sure that you look after your crystals with sage and rosemary or leave them out in the moonlight to recharge their energy.
Nice crystals though, pity they are such a nuisance to the detector. After a rough day dealing with them you could lie down with them on your brow to relieve the frustrations of the day.
PS to a collector nice examples could be valuable.
Oh Hawkear I did enjoy reading that.
I must be immune as walking with them in my pocket did none of that. Strap them to my gammy knee maybe? Pop them under my pillow at night? Will let you know how it affects me ... emotionally. Ha.
But seriously maybe I should go back to the creek with a bucket and magnet inside a plastic bag and get myself a stash for future sales. Never know when life calls for magnetite crystals.
Thanks

Magnetite can occur with gold in ore bodies - but despite seeing many such ore bodies I have not actually seen perfect crystals of magnetite in even one. Quartz also occurs with gold but most gold does not. And magnetite is so common not associated with gold that I would only consider even non-crystalline magnetite an indicator under certain circumstances where I had good reason to expect gold. For example, I have never seen a single example in Victoria. It is more just a mineral that can occur with gold than an indicator that gold may be around. For example non-crystalline magnetite is fairly common with gold in the Pilbara and Eastern Goldfields, around Olympic Dam in SA, around Cloncurry and west of Broken Hill - but magnetite completely unrelated to gold is far, far more common in the Pilbara and Eastern goldfields.

Disseminated through a rock (eg mica schist) I would probably not give it a glance.

Magnetite can occur with gold in ore bodies - but despite seeing many such ore bodies I have not actually seen perfect crystals of magnetite in even one. Quartz also occurs with gold but most gold does not. And magnetite is so common not associated with gold that I would only consider even non-crystalline magnetite an indicator under certain circumstances where I had good reason to expect gold. For example, I have never seen a single example in Victoria. It is more just a mineral that can occur with gold than an indicator that gold may be around. For example non-crystalline magnetite is fairly common with gold in the Pilbara and Eastern Goldfields, around Olympic Dam in SA, around Cloncurry and west of Broken Hill - but magnetite completely unrelated to gold is far, far more common in the Pilbara and Eastern goldfields.

Disseminated through a rock (eg mica schist) I would probably not give it a glance.
Thanks for the info Goldierocks. Since this is just S of Marble Bar, and we didn’t find much gold around it, guess it is unrelated to gold deposits.
I went back to dig for more crystals and struggled to find many. Way it goes sometimes. But I did find two perfect unbroken ones that I will treasure, as well as little cuties peeking out of rocks.
Hope the photos come out well enough.
The crystals are actually dark brown black with a lustre that caught the late afternoon sun when I took photos.

Attachments

• 5A67B05F-26A6-4991-8809-6D9850D9B9CF.jpeg
    5A67B05F-26A6-4991-8809-6D9850D9B9CF.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 61258192-7564-4C77-A76D-DDC2A123E057.jpeg
    61258192-7564-4C77-A76D-DDC2A123E057.jpeg
    10.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 5F2D951C-29FD-4A48-B33F-FA9D8BD9287A.jpeg
    5F2D951C-29FD-4A48-B33F-FA9D8BD9287A.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
Thanks for the info Goldierocks. Since this is just S of Marble Bar, and we didn’t find much gold around it, guess it is unrelated to gold deposits.
I went back to dig for more crystals and struggled to find many. Way it goes sometimes. But I did find two perfect unbroken ones that I will treasure, as well as little cuties peeking out of rocks.
Hope the photos come out well enough.
The crystals are actually dark brown black with a lustre that caught the late afternoon sun when I took photos.
Almost certainly nothing to do with gold (looking at photos)

Latest posts