madmax's new home made stand-up sand scoop

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmax3022

Tony
Reaction score
1366941323_image.jpg
1366941352_image.jpg

I was in our local industrial supplies shop and saw this stand up dustpan and brush setup, i immediately saw the potential and attacked it with a steppe drill bit and some alloy bracing :) should work a treat and it weighs half of my othe scoop ;)

1366968852_image.jpg
Thanks :) it works awesome, huge scoops meant less time digging and i could push my foot on the bracing to use. I hunted for 3hrs and half was in the hard packed wet sand at low tide with no signs of breaking so far. I'm sure if you took a huge scoop and swung on the handle something would give but pushing my foot on the bracing supporting the handle meant the stress was transmitted to the bracing instead of the plastic bucket. Time will tell if it holds up but at $25 it's cheap enough to replace if needed, i also found an in-built stand where the broom used to clip in ;)

Thanks john, yeah i use one earbud in one ear and i have an S9-hd bluetooth headphones in the other ear hooked up to my iphone in my armband playing podcasts while i hunt :) shuffling along the beach, listening to stuff and finding teasure...... Ahhh Bliss :D

if youre only chasing coins and rings then the scoop would work but if you think there might be small gold there or small stuff like earings then only drill holes in the top of the scoop

the water will still escape and the fine bits will stay in the bottom of the pan ?

After a few months using this type, i'm onto prototype #2 with added alloy to strengthen. It seems to work great in dry sand but if i rush a hole in wet sand something eventually gives way, cheap and nasty but effective. Still going to buy a $150-200 stainless scoop though. The only problem is i love the way this scoop doubles as a detector stand

Latest posts