Low Watt Items For SHTF, Off Grid Living and Camping.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope that panel has an air gap between it and the roof, not mounted straight onto it.

Redfin said:
Hope that panel has an air gap between it and the roof, not mounted straight onto it.

Me to, can't remember what the config is. My focus on the brief look was to measure available space. Only choice to add on roof are flexibles as it's a poptop and heavy enough already. I'm leaning toward a 200W panel I can travel with on bed and use as a portable.

The folding portables are significantly heavier.

Wishfull said:
RR
Seems Boris Johnson thinks s will htf soon.
He teckons things are very Gloomy re Ukraine atm.

Glad I'm a country bloke these days.

Yep and I am Glad I got the only Keys to a WWII Bunker thats 30ft / 9M under ground,

Some clown knocked out my power a couple of months back when I was testing something and blew one of my Test meters because they kept turning the power On an Off and Seconds apart, SoB's

So having all this Low wattage stuff is going to make my Power last longer, :Y:

But the whole time the power was Off I was the only one with power In the Area. {) :p :lol: :lol: :lol:

condor22 said:
Redfin said:

Me to, can't remember what the config is. My focus on the brief look was to measure available space. Only choice to add on roof are flexibles as it's a poptop and heavy enough already. I'm leaning toward a 200W panel I can travel with on bed and use as a portable.

The folding portables are significantly heavier.
Just use mount tracks on roof to carry the panels, remove when at destination and use as portables. Less cost, solves where to carry en route, you can still connect and charge battery while travelling, park the van in shade and will harvest better than fixed panels so less panels are needed. It's win win and why I wouldn't even contemplate mounting panels on the roof full time as you simply lose to much harvest ? I camp with 2 fridges ( 80 and 40 litre) in FNQ for more than a month at a time with 260W of panels and 2 130amp AGM no issue. You could also just leave existing panel on roof so you still have charging in transit and carry one to deploy on arrival mounted vertical on rack across rear of van.
My solar set up I have been using for over five years cost less than $1200. It includes a Victron blue tooth controller, I run as mentioned 2 fridges, travel buddy camp oven, all lighting, water pump for sink and shower, TV and charge all gear as needed. Correctly set up is the key, quality controller, heavy cabling to panels which are kept clean and re positioned as needed thru out the day. Simply for this reason I just don't understand why people spend many thousands of dollars on solar set ups? Good gizmo salesman at the 4B or van shop or simply to much money I guess :lol:

Food for thought, FYI can't mount anything at the rear as there is an Aircon at the rear. Fwd of that is the 135-150W panel to the driver side the TV antenna and fwd of that the shower hatch.

I think my easiest option is a 150-200W panel that will fit inside the van for transport, then deploy on ground when camped.

I've looked at some 160-180W folding panels at 15+kg. the same wattage in a flat panel are around the 10kg mark. I can't see 5kg in a couple of legs I can attach with some alum angle. As you mention better oriented to the sun.

As my prospecting is mainly in the VIC winter, I stay away from trees so shade is not an issue. I've seen too many gums fall or break. :)

Results are in - Re the AEG Front Loader (8kg model)

Wife ran 2 loads today. Each load takes roughly 2 hours, so, yes, longer than a top loader or twin tub. But it's not as if we sit there watching it, lol.

Oki, power meter was fully reset this morning and after the 2 loads shows 350Wh = an average of 175Wh per load (0.73 Ah @ 240 VAC). Which, as far as I'm concerned is extremely efficient.

The only spec I could find re water use was for 10kg (large machine). The report was from the U.S. and stated 15 gallons for a top loader v around 10 gal for a front loader. (Subjective as most autos have a water level adjustment and a number of cycle variations, so I assume these are max figures) That's around 60lt v 40lt.

My machine is an 8kg model, however; It has weight sensors, weighs the load and adjusts the water accordingly. Smaller load = smaller water consumption and it's already at 80% of the 10kg figure.

(The interesting point about the spec I found was that they stated the machine size in metric kg and water in imperial gallons, go figure.) :)

Almost forgot, the voltage in the house during the test = Max 239.7 V - Min 239.4 V. Other than a test bench with regulated power, I've not seen the grid that stable, lol.

PS Although it is around 3 times what RR quoted for his little twin tub, I think the 10-20 x usage in his first post, is a little bit of "make the point" license lol. :) :)

condor22 said:
Results are in - Re the AEG Front Loader (8kg model)

Wife ran 2 loads today. Each load takes roughly 2 hours, so, yes, longer than a top loader or twin tub. But it's not as if we sit there watching it, lol.

Oki, power meter was fully reset this morning and after the 2 loads shows 350Wh = an average of 175Wh per load (0.73 Ah @ 240 VAC). Which, as far as I'm concerned is extremely efficient.

The only spec I could find re water use was for 10kg (large machine). The report was from the U.S. and stated 15 gallons for a top loader v around 10 gal for a front loader. (Subjective as most autos have a water level adjustment and a number of cycle variations, so I assume these are max figures) That's around 60lt v 40lt.

My machine is an 8kg model, however; It has weight sensors, weighs the load and adjusts the water accordingly. Smaller load = smaller water consumption and it's already at 80% of the 10kg figure.

(The interesting point about the spec I found was that they stated the machine size in metric kg and water in imperial gallons, go figure.) :)

Almost forgot, the voltage in the house during the test = Max 239.7 V - Min 239.4 V. Other than a test bench with regulated power, I've not seen the grid that stable, lol.

PS Although it is around 3 times what RR quoted for his little twin tub, I think the 10-20 x usage in his first post, is a little bit of "make the point" license lol. :) :)

Your machine is pretty good compare to most out there,

The Higher figures I quoted are from my Front Loading washing machine Manual, and it uses between 42 and 57L of water,

With the little Twin Tub the Important facts and figures are the Draw figures uopn start up, where if you use one Tub at a time you can get away with using a 200w +/- inverter, and the size and weight make it Ideal for anyone who is on a Big Lap or Out in the Bush for a month or two who wants clean Clothes, Women are funny about that sort of thing :(

I like the speed of it and the fact that it washes better than my Automatic front loader, and I can still adjust the wash and spin times to use even less power, All Up I have only done 5 loads with the Twin Tub and each time the numbers are getting lower,

But most of all I like the fact it does not have any of them computer programs to go wrong and I can use it any where and carry it in one Hand. :Y:

Absolutely, you'ld need a bloody great yank tank of a motorhome to carry something like my home machine, lol.

I camp at my mates place more often than not and use his machine (at his suggestion) as I was going to the laundromat in town. Even so, saves carrying extra weight for a few $$$ every 2 or so weeks in a laundromat. I carry enough spare clothes, towels etc to last 15 days. More time to detect, lol.

condor22 said:
Absolutely, you'ld need a bloody great yank tank of a motorhome to carry something like my home machine, lol.

I camp at my mates place more often than not and use his machine (at his suggestion) as I was going to the laundromat in town. Even so, saves carrying extra weight for a few $$$ every 2 or so weeks in a laundromat. I carry enough spare clothes, towels etc to last 15 days. More time to detect, lol.

I know it's an odd ball thing to be discussing and I first became aware of these machines back 2 or 3 years ago watching some RV / Van Life video's and I thought it was a good idea and then thought these twin tubs would be crap, so I put off buying one until now In a moment of Madness I ordered it, Needless to say I was wrong, It is way better than I thought,

I hate doing Laundry and house chores because of all the waiting and messing about involved and then the power draw of the house machine as I watch the grid power meter clock up the numbers, Where this little machine has changed all that to the point I don't mind doing laundry now, and it's not just because it uses less power It's because I can run it from just about any 12v/240v Outlet using a tiny 200/300w inverter or Sogen etc and that I can take it on long trips and I can put the power it uses back in to the batteries in under 20 minutes, And It just works and does a better job than my front loading Automatic machine,

I can't believe it does what it can, But it does. Being male we tend to like things that does what is says on the tin with little tollerance for anything else, This is one of those items and being plastic it won't rust and no Paint to get chipped or dinted. and no Pumps to get blocked and having 2 wash settings and two timers, One for the washing side and one for the Spin side it's Idiot proof,

If I had a bigger Van or a Toyota Coaster size vehicle I would perminantly mount it in there, All of these Items can be run from and inverter no bigger than 1000w Max and So far the most power any one of them has used was 190w but that was my mistake not the Item being tested,

My Goal here is to list every Usefull low powered Item I can find, Then people can have an Idea of what to expect, I even found a 250w Travel Iron that folds Flat smaller than 2 packs of durries someone had thrown out which I am not going to test and as per specs it uses exactly 250w.

And My latest Gizmo is a 700w Cook Pot but I'm still learning that one, ]:D ]:D ]:D It's good but I prefer my Cast Iron camp ovens :inlove: :inlove:

Our washing machine we have used for past 12 years while out prospecting is extremely efficient and uses only 16 litres/wash.
Two plastic buckets and a plumbers plunger that I punched several holes in for the action.
One bucket with water and suds, the second with rinse water.
Only energy used = arm action.

Nightjar said:
Our washing machine we have used for past 12 years while out prospecting is extremely efficient and uses only 16 litres/wash.
Two plastic buckets and a plumbers plunger that I punched several holes in for the action.
One bucket with water and suds, the second with rinse water.
Only energy used = arm action.

Probably cost you a dollar all up an doesn't wear out. Now that's my type of gizmo :lol: :Y:

Ridge Runner said:
It's good but I prefer my Cast Iron camp ovens :inlove: :inlove:

RR,
Nothing better than the camp oven for a range of meals from damper to a wholesome stew.
One thing we have found from experiments through the ages that we have a preferred method that you rarely see advertised.
Most examples show the camp oven placed on the coals and then covered with coals, lots of effort cleaning after with meal baked onto the bottom of camp oven.
Our method is place your oven filled with preferred meal with a sheet of alfoil under lid, on the ground away from the campfire.
Cover with ash then a covering of hot coals. Roast chook 7 vegies takes about 1 1/2 hours.
After 1/2 hour place an aluminium tray with your vegies for roasting next to oven and repeat process of covering with ash then coals. (At this point top up the coals on the oven)
After 1 1/2 hours remove both from the ash pile and scrape off excessive. Then using a length of tube blow the remaining ash off.

Delicious..

As a perspective of cost, I looked at the power use on my Front loader.

175W per load @ $0.30 per kW = around 5 cents a load, which compared to at least $4 for a load in a laundromat :N:

Nightjar said:
Ridge Runner said:

RR,
Nothing better than the camp oven for a range of meals from damper to a wholesome stew.
One thing we have found from experiments through the ages that we have a preferred method that you rarely see advertised.
Most examples show the camp oven placed on the coals and then covered with coals, lots of effort cleaning after with meal baked onto the bottom of camp oven.
Our method is place your oven filled with preferred meal with a sheet of alfoil under lid, on the ground away from the campfire.
Cover with ash then a covering of hot coals. Roast chook 7 vegies takes about 1 1/2 hours.
After 1/2 hour place an aluminium tray with your vegies for roasting next to oven and repeat process of covering with ash then coals. (At this point top up the coals on the oven)
After 1 1/2 hours remove both from the ash pile and scrape off excessive. Then using a length of tube blow the remaining ash off.

Delicious..

Cool Thanks for that, I will give it a shot, :Y:

And your right about Camp Over Meals, A week ago I cooked a half a Pork Loin with veges in one of mine and it was the best meal I had in years, The pork just fell apart like Pulled Pork, The other half of the Loin I cooked the normal way and it was fairly tough goin, The Camp Oven has spoiled me and that is what I'll use from now on, :perfect:

Nightjar said:
Ridge Runner said:

RR,

Delicious..

You were Right NJ thanks again,

Did another Pork Loin in the Camp Oven and it was the best one yet, I kept sneaking back for another Platefull :perfect:

Once cooked I emptied the Camp Oven in to a big regular saucepan and filled the Camp Oven with water put it on the stove got it quite hot and just used a Nylon washing up brush on it and it camp up like new, No washing up liquid etc just water and a brush then I dried it off and re-Oiled it and heated up to season it Job Done, I re-seasoned it again coz it's a new Pot and I've only used 3 times so far each time I do I give it another coating just to get a build up on it, :Y:

I thought it pretty amazine that it came clean with just water that foil done the trick alright so well done NJ,

What I use, a Shuttle Chef. They are great when on the road as you can prepare dinner in the morning before heading off.
1643518608_shut_chef.jpg

Bit like a big Thermos Flask. I make a beef casserole using a cheap cut that would normally be like eating shoe soles. Dice the beef, brown in the big pot that fits in the insulated container over a stove. The single burner, cartridge type, or the van stove. Add a couple of litres of stock, I use chicken as it tastes better. Beef stock tends to overpower. Add veggies, spuds, carrots peas or what you like. I also add a little cornstarch or similar to thicken the liquid.

Bring to the boil, then simmer for 30 minutes. Take of the stove seal the lid and put in the thermal container. I leave mine in the caravan sink with a tea towel to pad, but anywhere it is stable will do.

It slow cooks during the day and is ready to eat at evening mealtime. A quick reheat is ok, but normally not needed. You can cook a multitude of food this way including a boiled fruit cake. :)

Plus it turns the tough meat into really tender meat.

condor22 said:
What I use, a Shuttle Chef. They are great when on the road as you can prepare dinner in the morning before heading off.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1932/1643518608_shut_chef.jpg
Bit like a big Thermos Flask. I make a beef casserole using a cheap cut that would normally be like eating shoe soles. Dice the beef, brown in the big pot that fits in the insulated container over a stove. The single burner, cartridge type, or the van stove. Add a couple of litres of stock, I use chicken as it tastes better. Beef stock tends to overpower. Add veggies, spuds, carrots peas or what you like. I also add a little cornstarch or similar to thicken the liquid.

Bring to the boil, then simmer for 30 minutes. Take of the stove seal the lid and put in the thermal container. I leave mine in the caravan sink with a tea towel to pad, but anywhere it is stable will do.

It slow cooks during the day and is ready to eat at evening mealtime. A quick reheat is ok, but normally not needed. You can cook a multitude of food this way including a boiled fruit cake. :)

Plus it turns the tough meat into really tender meat.

Nice One, I haven't seen one of them, I like the idea of that,

I would rather that than the Electric one I just bought which although it only draws 700w it is fast becoming my disliked Step Child of the Bunch,

Thanks Condor. :Y:

Latest posts