Lost dog

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought they might at the least be happy to take her home.... I should have said gently put not throw(my full apology).
Would have been someones champ :trophy:

Simmo said:
Can 'normal' people buy a chip scanner??
(like opposed to a vet?)

Oh.. it seems they are available...
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/134-2kH...m4459a2e84f:g:JM8AAOSwzz5ep2V3&frcectupt=true

Yes you can.

I have one that I purchased On Line.
I payed 76 dollars for it....Has turned out to be a good purchase. A worthwhile alternative to putting a bullet into a much loved child's pet or maybe prospectors lost mate and companion.
Have located the owners of a few dogs and cats. One Red heeler had travelled 28 km across Canberra and turned up in my back yard. The owner was a very spunky young lady who was very emo when collecting the dog.
The scanner will not tell you the name and address of the owner . You ring a vet or dog pound tell them the scanned code and they have access to the codes and will locate and contact the owner for you.

madtuna said:
Thanks Matt. That's the 2nd time I've accidentally shot some ones pet.

I've had to put a few down but thank god this doesn't happen often. Chances are it was lost and had just been living in the bush and it's owner may be long gone. Still it shouldn't have been here.

I'd still like to locate the owner, they may wish to bury it or keep its collar..I don't know.

I'd forget about it, shut your mouth and get the mods to delete this thread.

Nothing good will come from you telling someone you shot their dog, I have shot neighbours dogs (300 acres across the property border) and it never goes well.

Tomorrow is a new day, start a fresh.

Actually, no. Ive already notified the police.
Finding the owner for one thing would make me feel like Ive done all I can, also it can reinforce the message not to bring your dogs here which is a no no without pastoral permission, hopefully a message they pass onto thier mates.
Plus show the importance of notifying us that they are on the station and where about they are.

MT
Just to be clear - anyone on the station should first have the owners permission and if yes, then they should let you know they are there when they arrive?
Sad thing but I think anyone would know the rules and the consequences.

You need permission to bring a dog, which we dont give as we bait heavily, trap and shoot. That is in the pastoral act. We cant tell a domestic dog from a wild dog from a distance and baits, bullet and traps dont discriminate.
Under the conditions of your miners right you have to try to the best of your ability to make contact with the pastoralist.
Apart from being a condition on your miners right, its common sense.
Same with 40E permits.. a copy goes to the pastoralist... the trouble is its only a minority that do.

A scanner is cheap and if you are in the business of shooting feral dogs n cats etc then a scanner would be handy.....Coz then you could also possibly nail the twit who left the animal out there in the first place or even return a pet to a grieving owner. Most wild dogs and cats will not be microchiped likely because they were born in the wild and have known no other life.
Unfortunately not many people microchip their pets although that is changing as new pet ownership laws are introduced.
I fully understand the wild dog and cat situation but there are people out there who on sighting a dog or cat feral or otherwise, immediately switch into kill mode, I have seen it happen, they go for the gun a rock or lump of wood straight away and blast the animal out of existence no questions asked because that is how their mental hard drive has been programmed to respond.

One thing I discovered with the scanner was the fact that my daughters cat that she had from when it was a kitten had been incorrectly microchiped .
The chip was her code number and cats name but the address was someone elses. That was a mess and took some time to have corrected.

Maybe he was a good distance walker.... followed that camel trail smell from elsewhere.
mighta followed the smell of good cooking
only time will tell now.

Adrian ss said:
A scanner is cheap and if you are in the business of shooting feral dogs n cats etc then a scanner would be handy.....Coz then you could also possibly nail the twit who left the animal out there in the first place or even return a pet to a grieving owner. Most wild dogs and cats will not be microchiped likely because they were born in the wild and have known no other life.
Unfortunately not many people microchip their pets although that is changing as new pet ownership laws are introduced.
I fully understand the wild dog and cat situation but there are people out there who on sighting a dog or cat feral or otherwise, immediately switch into kill mode, I have seen it happen, they go for the gun a rock or lump of wood straight away and blast the animal out of existence no questions asked because that is how their mental hard drive has been programmed to respond.

One thing I discovered with the scanner was the fact that my daughters cat that she had from when it was a kitten had been incorrectly microchiped .
The chip was her code number and cats name but the address was someone elses. That was a mess and took some time to have corrected.

Same thing happened to her two German Shepherds....Names had been interchanged and registered to a person who had never even heard of the dogs.
NSW Pet Register is notorious for stuffing up the ownership details and addresses on the chips. So if you have never bothered to check your pets chip details then it might be a good idea to do it.

madtuna said:
Actually, no. Ive already notified the police.
Finding the owner for one thing would make me feel like Ive done all I can, also it can reinforce the message not to bring your dogs here which is a no no without pastoral permission, hopefully a message they pass onto their mates.
Plus show the importance of notifying us that they are on the station and where about they are.

Yeah, fair enough, but even when some people are in the wrong it's bloody amazing how those types who blatantly ignore rules still have the cheek to get angry when they are pulled up for totally crap behaviour, I wouldn't put it past a holes like that to damage property, leave gates open etc (in revenge).

Quite often the kinds of people that freely break rules don't often behave in rational or predictable ways.

If they don't know someone shot their dog they can't get angry at anyone.

Probably not such a problem out there, but in the city ice heads and general idiots are pretty common.... got to watch your back some times.

madtuna said:
You need permission to bring a dog, which we dont give as we bait heavily, trap and shoot. That is in the pastoral act. We cant tell a domestic dog from a wild dog from a distance and baits, bullet and traps dont discriminate.
Under the conditions of your miners right you have to try to the best of your ability to make contact with the pastoralist.
Apart from being a condition on your miners right, its common sense.
Same with 40E permits.. a copy goes to the pastoralist... the trouble is its only a minority that do.

It's also courtesy and manners. What ever happened to the old days, a bit of Aussie gratitude a nice bottle of red or a slab. Ya never know, you might be welcomed back :eek: