Locations to pan from SE burbs of Melbourne.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have researched Haunted Gully as it is close to home
There seems to be a new housing estate on or near the gully in Beconsfield
Forget about it

Regards

Dirty Harry

If your looking for somewhere real close to the s/e burbs I would try in between Church Hill Park & Police Paddocks though they are probably both reserves you could always do some specking along the road that divides the 2 of them anyway they are located between Rowville and Endeavour Hills ;)

dirtyharry said:
Forget about it

Regards

Dirty Harry
If you heading back towards Melbourne from Beaconsfield along the railway line there is a creek you come to that the rail runs over and has gold in it I wouldn't suggest it as a place to sluice or trommel but you may get away with just panning though the train drivers would report you if they think you are to close to the track a quick google maps should show you where about's that I refer to. ;)

greencheeks77 said:
dirtyharry said:
Forget about it

Regards

Dirty Harry
If you heading back towards Melbourne from Beaconsfield along the railway line there is a creek you come to that the rail runs over and has gold in it I wouldn't suggest it as a place to sluice or trommel but you may get away with just panning though the train drivers would report you if they think you are to close to the track a quick google maps should show you where about's that I refer to. ;)

:( Cardinia Creek flows under the rail line close to Beaconsfield and its on the exempted rivers and streams list so that one would be a no go....

http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/313599/Park-note-Cardinia-Creek-Parklands.pdf

casper said:
greencheeks77 said:
dirtyharry said:
Forget about it

Regards

Dirty Harry

:( Cardinia Creek flows under the rail line close to Beaconsfield and its on the exempted rivers and streams list so that one would be a no go....

http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/313599/Park-note-Cardinia-Creek-Parklands.pdf
I thought half as much but it appears people are dredging and everyone is turning a blind eye to it so I just thought a bit of panning wouldn't hurt anyone I was told the Buckland river is completely shut down due to recent dredging and people are still supporting people that produce those products lol go figure ....

greencheeks77 said:
If your looking for somewhere real close to the s/e burbs I would try in between Church Hill Park & Police Paddocks though they are probably both reserves you could always do some specking along the road that divides the 2 of them anyway they are located between Rowville and Endeavour Hills ;)

Surely not? really?

PaulFritz said:
Has anyone read the thread on the forum below about exempted rivers and streams?

http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=11785.0

It seems the list was originated to prevent miners from owning/camping on land next to the river or stream.

Also this one:

http://alluvialgprospectors.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=145

Have a read, what do you think?

And some answers here:

http://alluvialgprospectors.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=2474

I haven't yet read the links in your post but have given the original wording a bit of scrutiny.

The actual wording is "occupation for the purpose of prospecting". I think the key is in the interpretation of occupation, I personally avoid the interpretation issue by working tributary's of river whatever.

If you take the Buckland river for example the Clear creek flows into the Buckland at the Clear creek track (go figure) Clear creek is not listed. Ken.

As I understand it... in the original legislation the wording "occupation for the purpose of prospecting" was a reference to an original condition of the Miners Right which up until that time permitted the holder of the Miners Right to erect a hut for accommodation on their Miners Right Claim thus they were "occupying" the claim. This is all linked to other legislation at the time that reserved the State of Victoria's streams and rivers and 100 links width (i think) of land on either bank "for public purposes only" meaning that you could now continue to prospect and mine there BUT NOT LIVE THERE. Advance 10 20 or 50 years or so (cannot recall) and under ammendments to the original 1880's legislation mining and prospecting was no longer permitted on certain "Exempted" Rivers and Streams. Again as I understand it was a water quality issue in reaction to concerns of land holders whose land abutted watercourses where there were heavy silting problems and degraded water quality from upstream mining operations on large scale dredging and hydraulic sluicing claims. These activities have long been confined to history but the legislation lives on to the present day and constrains our low impact recreational fossicking activities..... but also protects our water catchments.

onebob

dirtyharry said:
Forget about it

Regards

Dirty Harry

it's been a while since i was here, but haunted gully has been flooded by the cardinia reservoir, it's all under water now, but there was gold got around the area

dirtyharry said:
Forget about it

Regards

Dirty Harry
harry, it's under the cardinia lake, mate

Haunted gully is not under the lake. I have been there and walked through it. You can still find old activity and shafts eg. It is a strict no prospecting area but yes you can get there.

Haunted gully is not under the lake. I have been there and walked through it. You can still find old activity and shafts eg. It is a strict no prospecting area but yes you can get there.
Seemed to be in fenced catchment last time I drove past its headwaters.

When you look at the damage done but recreational panning and compare it to a bit of heavy rainfall I think they have gone overboard with the regulations. However rules are rules full stop.

LIST OF BANNED WATERWAY LOCATION

I think that they have include ever river in Victoria.

When you look at the damage done but recreational panning and compare it to a bit of heavy rainfall I think they have gone overboard with the regulations. However rules are rules full stop.

LIST OF BANNED WATERWAY LOCATION

I think that they have include ever river in Victoria.
No, I think the plan was to exclude nearly every river that had gold in it....not every river.
The explanation I heard was that all creeks that produced alluvial gold in the past have mercury in them, and that they are trying to prevent people stirring it up by goldmining. Some do (perhaps 10% of those listed).

So that my problem too much Hg
I doubt that 10% of streams worked in the past have pannable mercury but some definitely do (Canadian Creek in Ballarat, central Jamieson River). Problem is it gets into trout etc, to the extent that you must limit the amount of trout you eat from Eildon reservoir (can cause brain damage and damage to human fetus). Mind you, you should limit shark and swordfish consumption as well for the same reason, even where no known mining input, so even from your market or fish shop. Some people take it into their system more readily. Over 100 years about a third of the metallic mercury has converted to methyl mercury, which does not look metallic and is very toxic. It is definitely an issue in a few streams (it is estimated that 900 tons of metallic mercury was lost in Victorian streams).

Latest posts