Living with Electric Vehicles

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, i think they're getting desperate.

Where's a discount for a new Pajero???

There are two reasons i'll never own one;
(1) I don't have the cash.
(2) I don't like being told what to do.

Screen Shot 2023-02-19 at 9.16.41 am.png

Last edited:
Could this be a potential breakthrough? Claiming triple the range and potentially much cheaper, not needing expensive metals like cobalt. Even if not, it requires something like this for EVs to take off outside cities.

https://www.electrichybridvehiclete...ld-triple-the-range-of-electric-vehicles.html

All this stuff is still being researched goldirocks. Nothing has been proven or released.
Why isn't the effort being put into the powertrain of the vehicles instead?

All this stuff is still being researched goldirocks. Nothing has been proven or released.
Which powertrain are you talking about? Electric vehicles don't need clutches, gears/transmissions, driveshafts and differentials.

No doubt still to be proven in practice but it does say "The company will be shipping material later this year, firstly to aerospace customers, as part of the qualification stage, then aircraft, air taxis, drones, mobile phones and laptops, before servicing the electric flight and automotive sectors in 2024". So they are manufacturing already.

It seems inevitable that battery improvement will come (range and lower price) and something like this could change my mind. We'll see.

Not sure I would want to test an electric plane before a car though..... :rolleyes:

They have been experimenting with Li-S for years already, first using one for an 83 hour flight 15 years ago. The Zephyr is light and unmanned, but is interesting as it also used solar re-charge. I don't think we should underestimate future technology even if we are not there quite yet with EVs,

"The low atomic weight of lithium and moderate atomic weight of sulfur means that Li–S batteries are relatively light (about the density of water). They were used on the longest and highest-altitude unmanned solar-powered aeroplane flight (at the time) by Zephyr 6 in August 2008.[3]

Lithium–sulfur batteries may displace lithium-ion cells because of their higher energy density and reduced cost. This is due to the use of sulfur instead of cobalt, a common element in lithium-ion batteries.[4] Li–S batteries offer specific energies on the order of 550 Wh/kg,[1] while lithium-ion batteries are in the range of 150–260 Wh/kg.[5"

Last edited:
No doubt still to be proven in practice but it does say "The company will be shipping material later this year, firstly to aerospace customers, as part of the qualification stage, then aircraft, air taxis, drones, mobile phones and laptops, before servicing the electric flight and automotive sectors in 2024". So they are manufacturing already.

It seems inevitable that battery improvement will come (range and lower price) and something like this could change my mind. We'll see.

Not sure I would want to test an electric plane before a car though..... :rolleyes:
I dunno 🤔 a plane losing power simply becomes a glider and still fly perfectly well with no risk of any one running up your ass :rolleyes:🤣

Descending at 600 feet per minute in an airliner isn't gliding in my opinion. And parking can be an issue....

I have often landed in a cessna 172 without power (as practice with engine feathered from high altitude). I always find it a bit more exciting than parking a car.

Descending at 600 feet per minute in an airliner isn't gliding in my opinion. And parking can be an issue....

I have often landed in a cessna 172 without power (as practice with engine feathered from high altitude). I always find it a bit more exciting than parking a car.
Try that in real time and it becomes way way more exciting than parking a car ...................... trust me ;) Keeps ya buzzing for hours. Besides your cheating as high altitude gives you time to configure aircraft. o_O Take up gliding as every landings a forced landing with no "prop to feather" Incidentally whilst you were feathering the engine was it ticklish ? 🤣 🤣 Oh yeah electric vehicles ? Currently impractical in my world makes decision easy 🤣

Last edited:
Saw something on the TV the other day about electric vehicles. The car was driven from Brissie to Cairns which is about 1,700 klm. It had 8 charges which took a total of 5 hours and the cost was about $60.00. At one charging station there were two points but only one was working and at another non were working so they asked motel owner if they could use there's. The problem as I see it is once again Australia has gone off halfcocked and not provided the infrastructure first before the cars. Same as housing no public transport, shops, medical facilities etc yet they put in thousands of houses first.

Latest posts