Lithium battery fires

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the major causes of failures and fires with lithium iron batteries is over charging. I will only charge my batteries while in attendance in the shed and I immediately remove them from the charger when they are fully charged. Not really a problem as most are one hour charges.
People plug them in and forget them, leaving them for days on end, I think that may be when issues occur, they overheat and fires occur.

Manpa said:
One of the major causes of failures and fires with lithium iron batteries is over charging. I will only charge my batteries while in attendance in the shed and I immediately remove them from the charger when they are fully charged. Not really a problem as most are one hour charges.
People plug them in and forget them, leaving them for days on end, I think that may be when issues occur, they overheat and fires occur.

Thanks Manpa,
Have to change my charging procedure.
The SDC lithium batteries I leave charging overnight.

Does the GPZ, WM12, SPO1, Samsung mobile use lithium? I leave them charging overnight.

Older Li Ion batteries were of higher energy density, and cheaper than the more modern LiPO (Lithium Polymer) cells.
They were also more susceptible to fire.
The energy density of Lithium cells in very large. Buy a reputable battery - preferably LiPO.
Cheaper ones have less impact protection, so when Lithium is exposed to the air - it will often catch fire.
Get a good quality charger. Overcharging or charging too fast may cause heat and fire. Internal cells must be evenly charged, requiring a smart charger that shuts off when charged. They rarely need float charging as their self discharge is very low - unlike lead-acid.
Never short circuit, as their discharge is very very heavy, causing much heat =>fire
When transporting, best they be reduced to 30% CHARGE.

The electrodes of lithium ion batteries are submerged in a liquid called an electrolyte, which allows for the movement of ions and consists of lithium salt and organic solvents. It is these organic solvents which are the leading fire hazard in Li-ion batteries.

for a lithium cell the electrolyte is a solution of lithium salts and organic solvents. When the battery is charged, lithium ions are driven from the electrolyte into a carbon anode. ... This can trigger a thermal runaway in which the battery overheats and can burst into flame.

The chemicals inside the battery begin to heat up, which causes further degradation of the separator. The battery can eventually hit temperatures of more than 1,000 F. At that point the flammable electrolyte can ignite or even explode when exposed to the oxygen in the air.

Lithium-ion batteries have built-in safeguards designed to stop them from exploding if they're left charging while at maximum capacity.
Some Chinese cheapies do not have this safety built in. These batteries can swell, and become hot while charging and the fire risk is high....Moral is; Don't buy Chinese made cheapie lithium ion batteries.

Adrian ss said:
The electrodes of lithium ion batteries are submerged in a liquid called an electrolyte, which allows for the movement of ions and consists of lithium salt and organic solvents. It is these organic solvents which are the leading fire hazard in Li-ion batteries.

for a lithium cell the electrolyte is a solution of lithium salts and organic solvents. When the battery is charged, lithium ions are driven from the electrolyte into a carbon anode. ... This can trigger a thermal runaway in which the battery overheats and can burst into flame.

The chemicals inside the battery begin to heat up, which causes further degradation of the separator. The battery can eventually hit temperatures of more than 1,000 F. At that point the flammable electrolyte can ignite or even explode when exposed to the oxygen in the air.

Lithium-ion batteries have built-in safeguards designed to stop them from exploding if they're left charging while at maximum capacity.
Some Chinese cheapies do not have this safety built in. These batteries can swell, and become hot while charging and the fire risk is high....Moral is; Don't buy Chinese made cheapie lithium ion batteries.
:Y:
Quality lithium chargers should also have built in battery protections when charging.
I know a lot of good lithium chargers have been copied leading manufacturers to use QR codes etc. to help establish authenticity.
Another thing to do when using lithium batteries is to always use the manufacturer supplied charger or for loose/genetic packs make sure you've got a genuine charger from a reputable supplier - more money short term but less headaches long term.
I've been using li-ion & Lipo batteries for over a decade on various gear, including aftermarket or DIY detector battery packs, without any issue.

I have bought some Kogan batteries recently and occasionally one will overheat. I have a 20,000amh powerbank from them which my wife uses to charge her mobile every 2nd day due to the loooong conversations she has all the time. :( :)

Kato had an IPad that bulged during charging, Apple did not want to replace it when they saw the cracked screen.

That was until I pointed out that is was bulged from inside (still) and the glass was cracked from inside...

They tried to find any possible way for a crack in the glass to happen :rolleyes: but gave up and replaced it.
Battery issue.

That replacement Ipad duded out with wireless networking, and was replaced within a month. :rolleyes:

Ho humm....

I never leave any battery on charge when not nearby.

:)

1. One of the reasons I bought a metal cased Lithium Deep Cycle, steel/alum don't burn well, plastic do......

2. As mentioned over charging or too big a load for too long aint good......

3. Just because it says you can charge at a certain rate,, doesn't mean you should. Mine says 0.5C, but I charge at 0.3C. Takes longer, but kinder to the battery and safer.

4. The bigger reason is battery quality, there are a lot of cheaply constructed lithiums as well as AGM's. Then the reliability of the lithium internal BMS.

Like caravans, lithium manufacturers are poorly regulated in Oz, notwithstanding some of the imported crap we seem to get in this country.

mbasko said:
That's how mines set up to LW. :Y:
Metal toolbox mounted on the brick shed wall. Have 2 x holes drilled as entry points for charger cables.

He mounted a Smoke Detector close by as well after his close call...

He heard a strange sound one night and went to investigate.... Smoke poring out of the 'Drone Zone' and very close to exploding.... Lucky... Very Lucky he caught them in time...

Makita Batteries also had some issues as well some time ago.... 2 Houses destroyed on the Gold Coast from placing them on charge overnight. :|

LW....

Latest posts