Lightning Ridge Opal Festival

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Heard it's on next week, Wednesday to Saturday I think. Is it worth a visit, what's the attraction other than those wanting to clean out your wallet. Got the week off so I'm thinking of checking it out.

I know Diggit went up there a few years back (pre-Covid) and posted some pics about it.
He seemed to have a good time. I'd go just to get out of the cold weather here!

Cheers,
Megsy

Sing out if you're heading up this way RM. Always happy to show you around.

The old town has been swamped to say the least with around 2000 tourists here for several weeks now. Nothings changed even after school holidays finished as the three major parks and motels are still chock-a-block. It's been crazy to see, considering that when the summer temps arrive in September you generally don't even see a car anywhere in the streets past lunchtime.

The other substantial thing I have to note now (and may do a post on it here somewhere) is that there are major new No Fossicking and Report Illegal Fossicking signs posted up by the associated government departments around the fields and tracks now. You'll see the first one as you turn into town off the highway as it's a large blue sign just on the side of the road. This is no surprise to me and is something that has been probably warranted for some time now given the sheer amount of tourists visiting these days.

That shouldn't deter you however as the old Ridge is quite the unique place.

Cheers,
Shauno.

Arrived last night went out to Sheep Yard this arvo. Definitely busy around here, the weather helps 👌hard to go past temperatures in the early 20's 🍻

Thanks for your offer Syndyne, I'll send you a pm and hopefully catch up for a chat.

Hope you’ve been for a early morning soak in the hot baths. One of nature’s pleasures.

Well all I can say is we have been blessed with the weather 👍Thanks to Syndyne for his knowledge and insight, thanks as a word just doesn't explain how grateful we really are for everything. Both you and your father are truly a one of kind 👌absolute gentlemen in the true sense of the word, thanks for your hospitality and kind generosity.

Leaving Sunday, home Monday 😬😊😳 all good things come to an end. We'll definitely be back, The Ridge is a place I need to experience in more detail 🍻

Last edited:
Thanks for those very kind words RM!

It's been completely our pleasure to offer a little insight into the industry and even more so to see you all enjoy yourselves here on the opal fields.

We will always look forward to meeting up again in the future should you ever pay the Ridge a visit. 👍

Latest posts