Lesgold’s NOX finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
925 is the fineness mark for sterling silver, so I'd hazard a guess that the 'P' designates the ring style in a catalog. I wondered whether it could possibly mean platinum, but googling shows the standard British fineness marks for platinum are 850, 900, 950 and 999. Being a silver ring, it will feature a semi-precious stone, not a diamond.

It is relaxing and quite enjoyable. Wish I’d started this years ago. Went out again for a play this morning and followed a cut in a long beach for 2km. Ended up with plenty of change. Many of them had been in the sand for quite a while. Will see how they clean up. One junk ring and a 750 pendant. Also scored an unusual coin. Not sure what to do with it at this stage. Any suggestions for getting it a bit cleaner without acids?

View attachment 1344
Cheers

Les
Nice find, mate! Other than jewellery containing stones, I would chuck in an ultrasonic cleaner. They are good for getting some of this stuff super clean.

Cleaned the ring last night and it came up quite well.
View attachment 1547
A couple of questions for the wizards. Any idea on what the stone might be? The hallmark came up as 925 with a trailing P. What does the “P” stand for? The T id for this ring was 21 to 23. Sounds a bit low for silver. Any thoughts?

cheers

Les
Probably a cubic zirconia I reckon. Nice looking ring.

Thought about it Ramjet but another interesting find came up when I went back and finished the beach area I was working.
78C4D878-8742-456E-AE5E-0130B9128955.jpeg
It’s a 1975 2 Toea coin from PNG. Thought it was a 2 cent coin. It may be worth saving so I’ll pop it in olive oil and see what happens.

Had a good morning out and found quite a few coins as well. A couple of pennies and half pennies were found with the usual spendable stuff. One of the half pennies was in very good condition considering it’s age. I reckon it must have been sitting on top of the fore dune before the rough seas and got washed down as the dune eroded.

CE0C8121-9B33-4852-952E-5939CDFCD95B.jpeg
And finally, the results of about 2 1/2 hours on the beach-

FE50052D-B661-4536-85B3-E2FB43F51B60.jpeg

Sometimes you find things that you don’t expect to see. I was detecting up close to the dunes this morning and almost stood on a 7’ diamond python sunning it’s self. Didn’t have my phone with me to get a shot. About 20 minutes later I looked out to sea and watched this form.

4FAD39F4-05F8-4758-940D-7F4B87FEDA0E.jpeg
unfortunately, after getting back to the ute and grabbing the phone, the best of it had faded. It reformed again and I didn’t get to the phone on time. An awesome sight.

It Was good to get back on the beach on the first sunny day that we’ve had in a while. Was hoping for a bit of sand movement after the recent bad weather but there wasn’t enough swell to do much in my area. Was content to pick up scraps just for fun. It was a 5c day today with enough money made to buy the takeaway coffee container only.
00A26C2A-F148-4FBC-863A-7E07467764F9.jpeg
Quiet days are needed to get you motivated for the next trip. Maybe next time.

cheers

Les