Legend Users Feedback

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That zac is a pretty unusual coin find for our local beaches... well done....
btw, with the 1.09 update. Do I need to add it to the recent 1.08.
I believe it’s a ground balance enhancement.

It's a small tweak to help with inconsistent ID's on some low conductive targets, on different ground balance values.

I think that Nokta Makro might have stumbled upon the softest material ever invented when they made the screen for the Legend! I decided to cut down a plastic phone screen protector to fit the Legend today, I kept the factory plastic on until now. I used a Lenspen to brush some of the dirt out of the edges of the screen so it didn't get under the protector, and found the fine brush hairs were enough to cover the screen in fairly obvious micro scratches. Oh well... Then I marked a corner measuring the screen with my calipers. For reference the screen is 60x60mm, benefit from my mistakes! If I had my time again I'd fit a protector immediately if you were going to, and if you needed to clean the screen just flush with water and air dry.

Still enjoying it, trying out the 11" coil the last couple of days and slurping up plenty of small medium to low conducting targets. Even recovered a key for a screen door in our rental out of the lawn that the Equinox couldn't see well at about 5 inches down...

Nice coins mate... just checked your post in the finds thread and you mentioned the nails alongside the coins.
What iron filter and stability settings were you using in that trashy spot?

Nice coins mate... just checked your post in the finds thread and you mentioned the nails alongside the coins.
What iron filter and stability settings were you using in that trashy spot?
Just the defaults, haven't played with that yet. Was in Field 2, ground disced out, recovery 8 and sensitivity up around 23. And I changed the 4th tone break in 5 tones to give a mod high tone above about 30, can't remember exactly that one.

Well the Legend has been on fire at the beach with the new LG24 coil attached. I was getting fatigued with swinging the stock 11” round coil over long spells at the beach, but the smaller elliptical feels as light as the little 6” to use. For it’s size it goes surprisingly deep. Although ground coverage is less, I find I can swing for much longer, so this evens out the difference.
Here’s some bling that I have scored recently.....96DD2503-0A7E-4ED8-AB15-C4D46AF507AD.jpegD4CDCFD2-C9BE-4B8E-BE53-60DC3B41B752.jpeg62BFF1E8-A824-49AD-8E16-13806044068A.jpegEB65E4A3-2712-4A6B-82EA-6A89DD65D821.jpeg30E349E4-9584-4AB4-B64C-2A3F6C52B25B.jpegThe small gold chains were no problem at 4 inches or so in wet sand.6A7DA442-FC43-486C-9A54-CBC9735D13D1.jpegF556379C-1F9B-481B-B80B-2EFDDA62D5E8.jpegThe diamond rings are both 18 ct. white gold....😍

Big win there bloke and thats certainly got the next few xmas and birthday pressies covered for the good wife 👍 Even the both necklaces regardless of name, A being for Adorable and the B for beautiful. Winner winner chicken dinner 🤣 On a serious note ......................... nice finds Adrian and well done 👍

Big win there bloke and thats certainly got the next few xmas and birthday pressies covered for the good wife 👍 Even the both necklaces regardless of name, A being for Adorable and the B for beautiful. Winner winner chicken dinner 🤣 On a serious note ......................... nice finds Adrian and well done 👍
Thanks mate.... wrong size rings for the good lady though, but have a daughter still to marry off but.

Looked around and could not find a list so I made one to share.

Nokta Makro Legend Australian coin VDIs

Decimal
1c = 42-44
2c = 46-47
5c = 17-19
10c =23-24
20c = 33-34
50c = 35-36
$1 = 42-43
$2 = 41-42

Pre- Decimal
1/2p = 42-43 old = 29-31
1p = 45-46 old = 41-43
3p = 33-34 pre 1946 = 43-44
6p = 39-40 pre 1946 = 46-47
Shilling = 43-44 pre 1946 = 49-50
Florin = 47-48 pre 1946 = 53-54
Crown = 58-59
One Sovereign = 37-38

Might be off a tad. Hope it helps. Sorry I do not have a half sov,

Running v1.08

Mod edit:
Have started a Legend VDI thread here
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/nokta-makro-legend-australian-vdis.39775/
My Legend arrived with Australian coin guide .

Looked around and could not find a list so I made one to share.

Nokta Makro Legend Australian coin VDIs

Decimal
1c = 42-44
2c = 46-47
5c = 17-19
10c =23-24
20c = 33-34
50c = 35-36
$1 = 42-43
$2 = 41-42

Pre- Decimal
1/2p = 42-43 old = 29-31
1p = 45-46 old = 41-43
3p = 33-34 pre 1946 = 43-44
6p = 39-40 pre 1946 = 46-47
Shilling = 43-44 pre 1946 = 49-50
Florin = 47-48 pre 1946 = 53-54
Crown = 58-59
One Sovereign = 37-38

Might be off a tad. Hope it helps. Sorry I do not have a half sov,

Running v1.08

Mod edit:
Have started a Legend VDI thread here
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/nokta-makro-legend-australian-vdis.39775/
Legend ~ Software 1.11 ~ Optimised for Beach mode, Md and Mw.
Coins on ground. . . Coil 4" above.
Tested on my back garden paved walkway.

Sov. Md 34-37 jumpy.
1/2 Sov. Md 30 Steady.

Sow. Mw 36-37.
1/2 Sov. Mw 28-31 jumpy.

Do a fresh GB before going to Prospecting Mode.
Sov. 37 Steady.
1/2 Sov. 30 Steady.

Hi everyone. Been using my legend for about 4-5 weeks now. Have taken 4 beach trips and detected my parents back yard (they have an acre). And one sandpit. It's my 1st detector. Mainly iron at parents. Beaches yielded a $2 coin as the better find but some interesting metals pulled etc. All on the lg30 coil beach with Mdry mainly and sensitivity up to 30 recovery speed 3. All metal mode. Really a enjoying the hobby and cleaning up the beach in a small way ain't bad either. Today I put the 6inch coil on for the 1st time in my parents backyard and holey Dooley the separation was so so much nicer (I know it makes sense being a smaller coil 😄).
I mnow it won't be as good as a PI, but I'm looking to do some gold with it down the track and thinking I'll use the 6inch for getting around certain terrains and seperating targets better.
Finally my question 😅. Does anyone have some tips on what settings are best to use with the legend for gold that they are willing to suggest. If so I'd be much obliged. I'm around the Townsville area for terrain if that helps explain the type of ground I'm near but I haven't been out there yet so am totally new to it all. Again appreciated if possible 😄

Glad you asked. I've been wanting to write a bit about the Legend on gold for ages now, but stuff always gets in the way. So here it goes.
The Legend is pretty capable on small gold, (within the usual limitations of VLF machines which is, the less iron in the soil the better they will work). It's only marginally behind the Gold Kruzer on very small pieces, but will beat the Kruzer for depth on larger pieces. It has a lot of settings options, so can be tweaked up to suit conditions.

This is a pretty detailed set-up, which is more a familiarisation exercise. You won't have to go through this level of detail every time once you are familiar with the detector.

1. Select Prospecting mode.
2. Turn threshold up until you hear it - don't set it too faint at this point
3. Turn sensitivity up until you start to hear falsing and then do an auto noise cancel. If the falsing goes away, turn sensitivity up until it just starts to false again, then back off one number.
4. I generally prefer to have Tracking off, and rebalance myself. Do an auto GB now.
5. Start sweeping and see if the detector is remaining steady. Your threshold may be "gurgling" at this point, but don't worry about this, if you are not getting any false signals, then all is well. If you are getting false signals, turn the sensitivity down and recheck.
6. When you think you are good to go, place some targets on the ground, preferably buried in the dirt and see if you can hear them. It is best to use a few different sized targets at different depths. Gold is obviously best, but lead or solder are just fine.

When playing with settings, you want to optimise the signal to noise ratio. What I mean by this is you want to get the best response on the target/s without increasing any background noise (or keep it to a minimum). Sometimes you have to reduce the sensitivity lower than you think to achieve this, but if you're in milder soils crank it up!

7. First step is to play around with the audio tone and see where the target response is best for your hearing.
8. Now that you've noise cancelled, set sensitivity, ground balanced and set audio tone, now play around with sweep speed. Try really slow vs really fast then everything in between. You will quickly find out what is optimum.
9. Now change the frequency to 40 kHz, re ground balance and go over the targets again. See if there's any differences. Now go across the ground. Is it smoother than Multi??
10. Now do the same in 20 kHz.
Remember this is all a learning experience to get familiar with the settings on the Legend.

11. Now set to what you think is the best frequency, do another Noise Cancel, and now go across the targets again while adjusting the recovery speed. A slower recovery speed should give you the best depth, but you can't sweep too fast. A faster recovery speed should handle changes in ground a little better, but you will lose a little depth, so it's a compromise.

12. Finally, play around with threshold level. Threshold too low and the detector will be quiet, but you may miss targets. Threshold set to where it is just audible makes the audio very sensitive, but any "gurgling" background noise will be more obvious. A higher threshold can have a smoothing effect, but if you go too high it will be quite loud, and this is not ideal especially for extended hunts as you will just fatigue your ears. What I would suggest here is to turn it up till it just starts to smooth out a little, then if you find that level a little loud, try turn your Volume down one number. Remember, use your buried targets as your reference, and remember we are trying to achieve the best signal:noise ratio.

At this point, you should have achieved two things. 1. You should have a much better understanding of what the various settings options do, and 2. you should have set your detector to the optimum settings for the area you are in.

Glad you asked. I've been wanting to write a bit about the Legend on gold for ages now, but stuff always gets in the way. So here it goes.
The Legend is pretty capable on small gold, (within the usual limitations of VLF machines which is, the less iron in the soil the better they will work). It's only marginally behind the Gold Kruzer on very small pieces, but will beat the Kruzer for depth on larger pieces. It has a lot of settings options, so can be tweaked up to suit conditions.

This is a pretty detailed set-up, which is more a familiarisation exercise. You won't have to go through this level of detail every time once you are familiar with the detector.

1. Select Prospecting mode.
2. Turn threshold up until you hear it - don't set it too faint at this point
3. Turn sensitivity up until you start to hear falsing and then do an auto noise cancel. If the falsing goes away, turn sensitivity up until it just starts to false again, then back off one number.
4. I generally prefer to have Tracking off, and rebalance myself. Do an auto GB now.
5. Start sweeping and see if the detector is remaining steady. Your threshold may be "gurgling" at this point, but don't worry about this, if you are not getting any false signals, then all is well. If you are getting false signals, turn the sensitivity down and recheck.
6. When you think you are good to go, place some targets on the ground, preferably buried in the dirt and see if you can hear them. It is best to use a few different sized targets at different depths. Gold is obviously best, but lead or solder are just fine.

When playing with settings, you want to optimise the signal to noise ratio. What I mean by this is you want to get the best response on the target/s without increasing any background noise (or keep it to a minimum). Sometimes you have to reduce the sensitivity lower than you think to achieve this, but if you're in milder soils crank it up!

7. First step is to play around with the audio tone and see where the target response is best for your hearing.
8. Now that you've noise cancelled, set sensitivity, ground balanced and set audio tone, now play around with sweep speed. Try really slow vs really fast then everything in between. You will quickly find out what is optimum.
9. Now change the frequency to 40 kHz, re ground balance and go over the targets again. See if there's any differences. Now go across the ground. Is it smoother than Multi??
10. Now do the same in 20 kHz.
Remember this is all a learning experience to get familiar with the settings on the Legend.

11. Now set to what you think is the best frequency, do another Noise Cancel, and now go across the targets again while adjusting the recovery speed. A slower recovery speed should give you the best depth, but you can't sweep too fast. A faster recovery speed should handle changes in ground a little better, but you will lose a little depth, so it's a compromise.

12. Finally, play around with threshold level. Threshold too low and the detector will be quiet, but you may miss targets. Threshold set to where it is just audible makes the audio very sensitive, but any "gurgling" background noise will be more obvious. A higher threshold can have a smoothing effect, but if you go too high it will be quite loud, and this is not ideal especially for extended hunts as you will just fatigue your ears. What I would suggest here is to turn it up till it just starts to smooth out a little, then if you find that level a little loud, try turn your Volume down one number. Remember, use your buried targets as your reference, and remember we are trying to achieve the best signal:noise ratio.

At this point, you should have achieved two things. 1. You should have a much better understanding of what the various settings options do, and 2. you should have set your detector to the optimum settings for the area you are in.
That advice is awesome thanks so much Phase Technical! I went to the GPA "Young's Block" in Charters Towers (mainly known for its alluvial gold, but I thought I may find that one rock that screams and has gold trapped 😄) at the end of September and managed to find out how to set threshold volume and tone. Also the autoground balancing I had somewhat worked out, but didn't test with test object and the order and other settings I did not do. Thanks again for the info and will definitely try this formula out next time around. (Didn't find anything by the way,but 1st time out and being a GPA probably had been worked quite a lot...) Thanks mate.

how deep does the legend go
about 10 years ago i lost a sidchrome 30cm shifter of the tractor 🤬 don't ask you will not be told any lies🤣

today i lost a R clip and a washer of a towable wheelbarrow 😒 and the bloody wheel fell off

so the brains trust said get the legend out of the shed you will find it🙄
so here i am waving the legend around and i get a good signal reading a solid 4 and 3 bars deep
so i change from field to park (learning the machine) and the signal has just about gone ,so i go to gold setting and it screams

so the brains trust says stop looking for the R clip and the washer and go back to the shed and get a shovel (might have something here)

so about 16'' down the bloody legend is still saying a solid 4 and 3 bars deep 😕 from the top of the hole
would that be reasonable or false signals

i was only digging a hole about 4"s square but the ground is that hard the little fossicking shovel will not go any deeper

but the signal response from the detector virtually maps out the bloody shifter side to side and length wise almost to a tee
got me buggard

Latest posts