Land cruiser 1HD FT Oil used

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacchus

Rick
Reaction score
With my 1996 Toyota Land Cruiser having its 25 th birthday I was wondering how many other members are running them, how they are going
with klm‘s and what oil is the preferred consumable.
Personally my old girl is just run in with 300,000 km ( know of a fella on Cruiser forum @ 1.5 m klm’s and still going strong )
Have changed oil and filters myself every 5000 with a mineral 30 then 15/40 but having an intercooler fitted a few years back decided to send it off to a dyno professional for a tickle up. He got an extra 10 kw out of it with adjustments and put a semi synthetic Penrite HPRD 15/50 . Oil pressure seems up a smidge and running cool as, feels a bit like changing beers but guess he knows best.

Regular oil changing is probably the most important issue. For older non turbo engines, the mineral/synthetic argument isn’t quite so important, particularly if you’re changing the oil relatively frequently.

Providing your engine is getting oil to the bits that need lubrication, and sending plenty of oil to the areas that need cooling, I wouldn’t worry too much about small changes in oil pressure. Changing oil viscosity will certainly change the oil pressure as indicated on the gauge, but that doesn’t necessarily indicate better or worse engine lubrication, it‘s just indicating how easy or hard it is for the oil pump to push the oil through the engine.

Change the oil regularly, feed it clean fuel, and don’t try an make too many more horses than it was designed to make, and the engine should keep ticking along for many more km’s.

With my 1996 Toyota Land Cruiser having its 25 th birthday I was wondering how many other members are running them, how they are going
with klm‘s and what oil is the preferred consumable.
Personally my old girl is just run in with 300,000 km ( know of a fella on Cruiser forum @ 1.5 m klm’s and still going strong )
Have changed oil and filters myself every 5000 with a mineral 30 then 15/40 but having an intercooler fitted a few years back decided to send it off to a dyno professional for a tickle up. He got an extra 10 kw out of it with adjustments and put a semi synthetic Penrite HPRD 15/50 . Oil pressure seems up a smidge and running cool as, feels a bit like changing beers but guess he knows best.
Cheers David,

my old knowledgeable mechanic advised 5k changes, I think the model before had big end problems if not done regularly so is a habit I will stick to even though I think many are now changing at 10 with the synthetic gear.👍

My shiny new-fangled computerised turbo Hilux toy is supposed to have its first book-service at 10k. Not sure if the (nearly-extinct) diesel mechanic in me can stand going that long.

Once upon a time we’d build an engine and then take quite a bit of effort to “run it in” properly. Seems to be a thing of the past. I know with cnc machining, tolerances are much better, and engines are often run prior to installation, but still, it just doesn’t “feel right”….

Latest posts