KISS for charging batteries

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can i get your opinions on keeping it simple for charging a minelab gpx detector battery, mobile phone and laptop computer batteries in the bush. Do i use a petrol generator such as a Gentrax 2kw pure sin inverter generator , a battery box with a deep cycle battery and anderson plugs for a solar panel or a Battery power pack . Also what's a good spare battery for a minelab gpx 4500 detector? All advice will be greatly appreciated.

I'd say start with a budget and work from there.
The solar battery option has more parts, more maintenance and initial setup cost but will last longer and have little to no ongoing costs.
The generator is simpler, can be used anywhere and for almost everything but is noisy and uses fuel which isn't cheap.

As for spare GPX batteries they aren't cheap, there is the official ones from ML or custom 3rd party battery packs which use the smaller 7.4v Li-ion camera batteries.

It's all a matter of supply and demand. Once you get a supply, the demand usually goes up and often then the supply becomes inadequate. If all you want is what you mentioned, I would be inclined to fit a deep cycle AGM battery in your car hooked up to your start battery via a voltage sensitive relay (and be generous with the sizing of your wires - I use 8 gauge) and then just use 12 volt charging leads for your appliances. If you find that you're not keeping up the charge by driving enough, then you can add a portable solar panel (with a built in regulator) to top it up.

Solar panel and second battery are no maintenance.

Generator equals maintenance, carrying fuel and noise.

The simple, clean non intrusive method is solar. For what you are wanting to charge, you dont need a large panel.

BTW I have all threee!

Thanks for the posts. Aussiedigs can you recommend a good solar panel brand and size that will suit my needs

. I read somewhere where gpx 5000 that was for sale came with a spare battery that was way cheaper than the lithium ion type battery. Any advice on what other type of battery can be used with a gpx 4500 ?

Id say a 110 ah deep cycle duel battery with a dc dc charging system with an option for solar backup . This is enough for me to run my fridge,basic lighting
,charge phone and gpx battery and sdc batterys for 3 to four days without any problems .
Cheers Booney.

Snapper, My first Qs are;

1. You ask about charging your listed equipment in the bush, so what are your living in the bush arrangements? Tent, Camper, Caravan or other.........

2. Your listed equip. minelab gpx detector battery, mobile phone and laptop computer The Minelab GPX has a cig socket charger, so can be done from 12VDC. Mobile phones are USB 5VDC charging, so can be done with a simple cig plug with inbuilt USB outlets as they transform 12VDC to 5VDC. Both the GPX battery and phones can be charged from your vehicle power sockets, whilst you drive and both are very low power draw so can be done whilst stationary from your main battery without risk of it being flattened.

3. The laptop is somewhat different, many run at between 16 and 20VDC (as well as other voltages). Mine is a Toshiba Satellite and it runs at 19VDC. Do you have a 12VDC laptop power supply or just the 240VAC they are supplied with? My laptop draws up to 2.0 Amps @ 240VAC, so that = 480W which means I need a 600W inverter, it would draw approx. 44 amps from a battery to do that. However I use a 12 VDC laptop power supply from Jaycar (see attached URL) it uses much less battery power to operate. If the laptop battery is fully charged it runs at about 3.0 amps, but if it is operating the laptop and charging a depleted laptop battery it is nearer 6.0 amps. But still much less AH to use than an inverter. It is also cheaper than buying an inverter.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/150w-car-laptop-power-supply/p/MP3472

The best method of working out how is;

1. As above, look at the simplest and least power required to do the charging of batteries. (as I explained all could be done from your car battery, but you would likely need to drive or start the car daily)

2. Next, employ another (Auxiliary) battery. If the only items are what you list, then a 50 AH is enough. However as mentioned in another answer, demand often increases. So a 100AH is probably the go. With output to a cig socket bucket or box containing Cig sockets, Merit socket, USB outlets and even an Anderson, you can literally connect almost any 12 or 5VDC item to it for charging or use.

3. The next thing is to look at how you charge the Auxiliary, the 3 main ways are;

a. from a small generator and a 240VAC smart charger. This requires you to carry these items and the fuel for the genny and only occurs when the genny is running.
b. from a DC to DC smart charger, such as a Redarc, Ctek or Projecta. This requires installing to your vehicle and only operates when the vehicle is running, but is much smaller than a genny, no extra fuel and much quieter.
c. Solar, this requires installing, a solar controller, needs to be deployed as standalone or fixed on the roof of the vehicle and only operates during the day. But no noise, no fuel and set and forget (other than managing use/charge).

All are budget driven and can be used independently or in conjunction with another or all 3. All have their pros and cons. Hope this helps :)

All of what Condor has suggested.

If you are just go out for the odd long weekend, one of these would be ample [38ah], and serve as a backup should you
flatten the cranker. SCA also has a small solar panel to keep these topped up

1565837996_capture.jpg

1565838161_capture.jpg

Thanks for all the info . It,s going to take a few re reads of your suggestions to get it to sink in . But i,m starting to get a better idea on how to proceed. Thanks .

Snapperhappy said:
Thanks for the posts. Aussiedigs can you recommend a good solar panel brand and size that will suit my needs

. I read somewhere where gpx 5000 that was for sale came with a spare battery that was way cheaper than the lithium ion type battery. Any advice on what other type of battery can be used with a gpx 4500 ?

Snapper, i have two solar panel sets, an 80W and a 140W. Just Ebay units even the regulators. They work brilliant.

What i do is remove the regular from the panel/s, upgrade the wiring. Run the thickest gauge avail from Bunnings. Solder ALL joints. Run 50A Anderson plugs everywhere. A connector at the car battery, extension leads, double adapters etc all made with Anderson plugs. Use the cheap copies off Ebay. Run the regulator close to the battery ie within 300mm. Regulators pull better than push. Seriously, you dont need expensive stuff. I have had my ebay/Bunnings systems running in the bush for years. Setting it up right is more important.

You could easily get away with 30-40W but id go at least 80W if you are going to outlay. Also if you buy the likes of a folding set get the shortest lead length as you arw going to upgrade the wiring anyway. These cheap solar regs work just fine. You will get people suggest running a proper MPPT controller. There isnt a huge benefit for the extra lay out IMO. Thee butane burners are ideal for soldering the likes of Anderson plugs and brilliant for getting the camp fire going.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10-20-3...hash=item4b67525307:m:mKaPX6CchuCfDD_bS88osJg

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10-x-An...=323821118166996b141ffe9c4704bced37b9476cd3e1

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Burner-...=273290072584ba0d1b38d3ae46b3b1152b4b1b3f0cfe

So Aussiedigs, this setup recharges the car battery and you recharge all your batteries from the cig port , is that correct? And a car battery can recharge a minelab gpx 4500 battery over night?

Jaros said:
I have one of those torches-they are great for soldering Anderson type plugs. :)

Do yourself a favour and ignite your torch, carefully turn it upside down and check if it drips fuel and flares ( flame increases considerably in length and volatility). Just be aware they are inherently dangerous if knocked over accidentally.

Thanks Manpa. I have done a fair few already and have been very careful re safety. Wouldn't want one disintegrating in my hand would I ]:D :(
Thanks mate.

Snapperhappy said:
So Aussiedigs, this setup recharges the car battery and you recharge all your batteries from the cig port , is that correct? And a car battery can recharge a minelab gpx 4500 battery over night?

Snap, to be truthful im not up on the GPX battery, but with that said it wouldnt present a problem.

Yep, run the solar attached to the car battery. Im not a real fan of having the ign key set to acc as other things can cause drain. The controller/regulator i linked has two USB ports. Also you could connect a ciggy lighter socket to the same loom as your solar. You can get these also which are brilliant.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-Car...530573?hash=item23ab2a494d:g:p6YAAOSwoW1bxvnQ

Depends on how long you wish to stay in the bush and where.

I have,
Detectors, 3 of them.
Lap Top to keep an eye on you lot, Mobile Phone, GPS, etc, etc.

Caravan with 80 watt solar panel.
200va battery.
Fridge on LPG. And it bloody freezes every thing if you are not careful.
Including stinking hot days.
Big bottle last,s about 3 weeks. Including 2 burner stove.
Micky wave is run off a heavy inverter, Turned on for nuking, Turned off when not in use.
Set of fold out 160 watt " Rich " panels. (They work with UV on cloudy days. )

Vehicle fitted with a damned expensive Century Battery.
Panels will charge the vehicle within a short day if fridge is used to
keep beer cold while I contemplate the situation.

Car fridge. " Bushman. "
Beer stay's Cold. :inlove:

But,

Go bush and suddenly get stranded with your vehicle and a flat battery.
You have to make an emergency exit. :awful: :8
And, If you want to, Go buy a 1000 watt small generator to back you up if
you run your vehicle battery flat and cannot start it.

On top of that, An 8 amp non electronic battery charger.
Just woof the amps in to get her going. :skull:

They are very small and do not take up much space and weight.

At least you can have a few beers while you recharge it and wonder why you
got yourself into this situation in the first place.

That is what I have.

Oh, When finished for the day,

Plug in and charge your GPX detector battery for the night off
your second 200va battery ready for the next day that is charged
by a set of 160 watt solar panels.

Unless you have about 5 days of rain, It won't be a problem.
But worry about starting your vehicle above every thing else.
And keep your beer cold as well. :cool:

Cheers.

those on a budget & charging gear off their starter battery should contemplate at least carrying a battery jump-pack or other emergency backup.
Even a small cheap 12V SLA battery can be used (whats in a lot of cheap jump-pack units). Also pays to make sure your vehicle is running well & starts easy.

condor22 said:
Snapper, My first Qs are;

1. You ask about charging your listed equipment in the bush, so what are your living in the bush arrangements? Tent, Camper, Caravan or other.........

2. Your listed equip. minelab gpx detector battery, mobile phone and laptop computer The Minelab GPX has a cig socket charger, so can be done from 12VDC. Mobile phones are USB 5VDC charging, so can be done with a simple cig plug with inbuilt USB outlets as they transform 12VDC to 5VDC. Both the GPX battery and phones can be charged from your vehicle power sockets, whilst you drive and both are very low power draw so can be done whilst stationary from your main battery without risk of it being flattened.

3. The laptop is somewhat different, many run at between 16 and 20VDC (as well as other voltages). Mine is a Toshiba Satellite and it runs at 19VDC. Do you have a 12VDC laptop power supply or just the 240VAC they are supplied with? My laptop draws up to 2.0 Amps @ 240VAC, so that = 480W which means I need a 600W inverter, it would draw approx. 44 amps from a battery to do that. However I use a 12 VDC laptop power supply from Jaycar (see attached URL) it uses much less battery power to operate. If the laptop battery is fully charged it runs at about 3.0 amps, but if it is operating the laptop and charging a depleted laptop battery it is nearer 6.0 amps. But still much less AH to use than an inverter. It is also cheaper than buying an inverter.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/150w-car-laptop-power-supply/p/MP3472

The best method of working out how is;

1. As above, look at the simplest and least power required to do the charging of batteries. (as I explained all could be done from your car battery, but you would likely need to drive or start the car daily)

2. Next, employ another (Auxiliary) battery. If the only items are what you list, then a 50 AH is enough. However as mentioned in another answer, demand often increases. So a 100AH is probably the go. With output to a cig socket bucket or box containing Cig sockets, Merit socket, USB outlets and even an Anderson, you can literally connect almost any 12 or 5VDC item to it for charging or use.

3. The next thing is to look at how you charge the Auxiliary, the 3 main ways are;

a. from a small generator and a 240VAC smart charger. This requires you to carry these items and the fuel for the genny and only occurs when the genny is running.
b. from a DC to DC smart charger, such as a Redarc, Ctek or Projecta. This requires installing to your vehicle and only operates when the vehicle is running, but is much smaller than a genny, no extra fuel and much quieter.
c. Solar, this requires installing, a solar controller, needs to be deployed as standalone or fixed on the roof of the vehicle and only operates during the day. But no noise, no fuel and set and forget (other than managing use/charge).

All are budget driven and can be used independently or in conjunction with another or all 3. All have their pros and cons. Hope this helps :)

I have a Toshiba Laptop as well but mine is only drawing with a Lo of 17.4w and a Hi of 42.2w, from the mains, I haven't tested it via an inverter in to a 12v socket yet, So why does yours chew 480w ??.

Latest posts