Just how noisy can ground noise get

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all.i am at wedderburn looking for some yellow stuff and today I got a loud signal with my sdc.i dug down about 8 inches and the signal was screaming!then I ran my detector over the dirt dug out of the hole and it went off,I scooped up some dirt and I got a loud signal in the scoop!but nothing was in it!I used my pin pointer and it was going off everywhere.the signal in the hole was making a he'll of a noise just like if you passed over a 22 shell.i have never heard ground noise this definite and loud before.so I'm going back tomorrow to dig the hole.just how noisy can ground get,the soil was red and damp?

Soft wet concentrated mineralized ground everywhere in vic at present,at least with the gpx's you can balance directly next to/over a ground noise.
I don't know about sdc's and their balancing capabilities
If it reduces in reactivity then it's likely ground noise.I doubt that I have ever balanced out a bit of gold/target
If unsure keep digging!!

dubbles said:
Hi all.i am at wedderburn looking for some yellow stuff and today I got a loud signal with my sdc.i dug down about 8 inches and the signal was screaming!then I ran my detector over the dirt dug out of the hole and it went off,I scooped up some dirt and I got a loud signal in the scoop!but nothing was in it!I used my pin pointer and it was going off everywhere.the signal in the hole was making a he'll of a noise just like if you passed over a 22 shell.i have never heard ground noise this definite and loud before.so I'm going back tomorrow to dig the hole.just how noisy can ground get,the soil was red and damp?

It might be interesting to run a rare earth magnet r through the soil where are getting the signal and see how much material it picks up?

Great reading through the above posts as I had the same thing happen to me today (both the SDC2300 and the Gold Monster screamed and didn't stop)...spent over an hour digging approx 14 " down through very damp pipe clay and some decent sized rounded rocks (and found some very old pieces of blue and white china at the 12"mark).

I finally called it quits and filled the hole back in when the wind came up, as I didn't have the chainsaw with me and didn't fancy having to deal with a tree across the track.

Figured it was either ground noise or maybe a bloody horse and cart down there :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, I know where it is and will try it again when the ground dries out a bit...had a great day out and always happy to keep learning :)

Thanks for your reply folks.what got me is how louder the noise got as I dug down,making me think it was a target,but then having a target scream in your scoop and be nothing there made me think ground noise.

Get that now and then, always have from Vlf days to now. As others say it can be mineralised lumps that when dug up and broken up make you think "huh!?" and can even have you looking wider than your dug out stuff in case it was a target that got flicked out of zone. Sometimes its a bit of old old old detectable metal that has broken down enough to, before you dug and disturbed it, give a banger signal. Now dug its in a thou bits and no sound at all. Some though can be the flingers and the other day I got one of those "huh!?" ones. It was flung further than I thought and was about 3 foot from the hole. I knew id done it as it was in the same freshly dug clay, a little lump of it, that was in my other freshly dug out pile. Had flicked off the pick and travelled a bit. Ok, was just .9 of a gram but today that aint to be sneezed at. Actually, no size is to be in this day and age. Any vanishers have me from my own experience, which is I know much less than others but regardless, checking several feet wide of my hole just in case. I reckon over all my years detecting, in doing so and not a fortune but it adds up, have had me recover maybe 4 ounces in doing it. Im sure others who have been much more fortunate and better operators than me have found much more than that in doing so. Never walk away until you exhaust all your known options. My best flinger was 20 grams. Sadly at the time gold was just $10 a gram :lol: Still not a sneezer though. :D

I've had similar experience south of Maryborough. Red soil and heaps of background noise. I presume the colour of the soil is a good indicator of the amount of iron in it.