Just an old picture I thought i would share I reckon its a cracker

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G0lddigg@

Dustin
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
credit -American Australasian photographic company
b o holtermann 2nd from left, richard ormsby kerr centre and beyers 2nd from right with reef gold from star of hope mine 1870-1875
1386548367_american-australasian-photographic-company-b-o-holtermann-2nd-from-left-richard-ormsby-kerr-centre-and-beyers-2nd-from-right-with-reef-gold-from-star-of-h.jpg

The "Beyers and Holtermann Specimen"

The world's largest single mass of gold is correctly not a nugget it is a specimen also known as a matrix. However, gold is gold whatever the name tag and an estimated 3,000 ounces of gold makes "THE BEYERS AND HOLTERMANN SPECIMEN" the world's largest single mass of gold.

The Beyers and Holtermann Specimin Beyers and Holtermann were partners in setting up the Star of Hope Mine like many others on the side of Hawkins Hill, Hill End. Later a company was formed and listed on the stock exchange, at this point Beyers and Holtermann remained major shareholders with one sixth each. Beyers had no physical attachment to the mine while Holtermann became above ground mine manager. At this point in time, 2 a.m. on 19th October, 1872 and after the midnight firing a "veritable wall of gold was revealed".

On 26th October, 1872 The Town and Country Journal reported in its telegram section under the heading Hill End, Saturday, "Holtermann's landed a specimen last night weighing between 6 and 7 cwt., supposed to contain 2 cwt. of gold. More in the bottom. Great excitement."

It was photographed, measured and displayed. It is believed to have contained 3,000 ozs. of gold. This is the largest single mass of gold ever known to be recorded and it wasn't a one off. The quote, "monster specimen" was crushed with 272 tons of other ore from the mine at the Pullen and Rawsthorne Stamper Battery yielding 15,488 ozs, and 11 dwts, of gold. A few months later a larger one was found and recorded in the day book from the mine.

The record stated estimated gold content 5,000 ozs. with a total weight estimated at 7 cwt., the miners broke it up underground not wanting the arduous task of man handling another large piece to the surface just to see it eventually broken up and smelted. Holtermann resigned. History Hill purchased from Holtermann's great grandson, Harry Holtermann much of the said Holtermann's personal artifacts. Day books from the mine, collectibles and most important a treasured souvenir. Holtermann chipped the tip off the World's Largest piece of gold. All that remains is now in The Holtermann Room, History Hill, with much more.

What a great insight to the days and lives of the old timers , one can only admire them.
Thanks guys . :)

The detail in these photos is unbelivable. They are better than any digital photo. When you zoom in every little detail is so clear. Very interesting. Thanks for posting it. :)

That is some story.. imagine finding something like that these days. 5000 oz nugget... it ..

That would put a smile on the dial

Latest posts