Issue with GM1000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm real new to detecting. Today in The Enfield Forrest (Vic) the GM indicated a strong target. On ALL settings, Gold, all metal, all sensitivity it showed hard to the right all bars and tones. 6 inches down was this old ball hammer head. I thought the GM could specifically show gold on gold setting. Oddly, once recovered the detector showed ferrous hard to the left. There was no further indication in the same hole after. Suggestions or advice would be appreciated. I don't get why it showed 100% non ferrous under the soil and 100% ferrous once on the surface. I left this on the memorial there.

1637825613_259751310_478766040208353_4021631377051223775_n.jpg

Could be solid object rusting halo response. This would be enough to confuse it.

Some gal and deep rusting objects will ring up high ID on my vlf until recovered then fall into the low (steel) numbers.

Thank you, You can imagine my thoughts for just half a second when I spotted it, "Another new guy has gold find of the year".. 8.(

OR, I just left a solid gold hammer head on the memorial stone...

Definitely worth the dig mate, hell of a clunker had it been the right metal. Anyhow if your out there digging your as good a chance as any. Best of luck to you mate, maybe the next one hey?

Hi JS, there's nothing wrong with your Gold Monster.
From my experience with it when I would dig a piece of gold from 3-4" deep it would show as Ferrous on the screen then as I got closer to the target it would shift over to Non Ferrous, that's why I never relied on the screen to decide whether to dig a target, I relied on my ears and the sound of the signal is more accurate, you will learn all of this in time but you must dig every target to learn the sounds and subtle differences.

On another note, a lot of people seem to refer to the screen indicator as Ferrous and Gold, it's not, it's Ferrous and Non Ferrous, there is no Gold mode just All Metal and Non Ferrous modes, and again it's not a reliable discrimination system as gold and lead at depth will show as Ferrous until you get closer to the target, so detecting in All Metal mode is best for finding those deeper gold targets.

Hope that helps you some.

Yep, go by the ears and take along a small tester nugget. This comes in handy whenever you are thinking "what is the right sound I should be hearing for gold?"