Is this a meteorite?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Baldy,

It definitely looks very interesting. The colour and surface texture seem to indicate a fusion crust. Have you tried the magnet test?

Cheers,

Moj

Monitor, no its non magnetic..What made this really stand out was Its was on top of a hill and no Ironstone within 3 km of it..and it is quite heavy..Smooth glazed and thumb prints..?

I believe all meteorites in Australia are classed as the property of the state in which they're found. You're supposed to hand them in but tbh you may as well just leave them where you find them as it's less troublesome.

FWIW I think I saw one land once - a small pebble sized whatnot fell fairly close to me and as it fell it left a small smoke trail. Trajectory was too steep to have been thrown and in any case there was no one around at the time. Didn't bother picking it up as I remember seeing the film The Blob :/

Appears to have a fusion crust with some flow lines.
May be a chondrite of some kind that landed a long time ago.
You need an expert to take a look at it.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...gAhXaTX0KHdGAA3AQiR56BAgDEBM&biw=1442&bih=768

We are living on a space rock that will become a meteorite when it spears into the sun or Jupiter or something.
Our galaxy formed not all that long after the beginning of the universe and the earth formed as part of the galaxy. So the whole deal probably started when Big G lit up a cig and we are just a part of his match flash. :(

Hi Mojito, i have handled thousands of meteorites. Unfortunately your rock is not one.
But dont stop looking almost every detectorist will detect one or two in their lifetime and most will be old weathered looking rocks that they will discard as hot rocks. Even without a detector it is possible to find them but you need to know what weathered ones look like, not the fresh as or cut ones you see in museums and ebay.

RedDirtDigger said:
Hi Mojito, i have handled thousands of meteorites. Unfortunately your rock is not one.
But dont stop looking almost every detectorist will detect one or two in their lifetime and most will be old weathered looking rocks that they will discard as hot rocks. Even without a detector it is possible to find them but you need to know what weathered ones look like, not the fresh as or cut ones you see in museums and ebay.

Hi RedDirt,

Thanks very much for your advice, I appreciate it. Just out of curiosity and for educational purposes, why don't you think it's a meteorite?

And I'll definitely keep looking. I'd love to find one.

Cheers,

Moj

Hi Moj, i was probably a bit ruthless. Get it tested there are some meteorites with unusual mineralogy and it could be one
But the desert glaze on the surface and the iron weathering skin on it with fresher lighter material inside just doesnt look right
Cheers rdd

Red Dirt Digger..What do you think of the rock I posted..It is Non magnetic..But is heavier than I think it should be..Cheers..

Baldy said:
Red Dirt Digger..What do you think of the rock I posted..It is Non magnetic..But is heavier than I think it should be..Cheers..

Unfortunately, with meteorites I think you'll find that those two qualities don't go together. For a meteorite to be "unusually heavy", it would have to be a nickel-iron type (like Australia's famous Mundrabilla fall https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mundrabilla_(meteorite) ), but nickel-iron meteorites ARE magnetic.

Goldierocks??,
I saved this rock. It ticks all the boxes, it's magnetic, appears to have molten edges and a pitted surface. Found with a metal detector, nice signal.
Any comments are welcome. (It's been haunting me for ages).

1552087416_magnetic.jpg

Grubstake ..Aparently not all meteorites are magnetic..Evie/Bee ..yours has sharp edges it should be roundish I recon..

EVIE/BEE said:
Goldierocks??,
I saved this rock. It ticks all the boxes, it's magnetic, appears to have molten edges and a pitted surface. Found with a metal detector, nice signal.
Any comments are welcome. (It's been haunting me for ages).

That photo looks similar to Henbury meteorites , file a bit off it & post a photo , you could be in luck .

Outback; It's a fragment of a much larger piece, I found it in the Murchison.
Here's 3 photo's of the back side. The longest side is about 3 inches.

1552347652_01.jpg
1552347675_02.jpg
1552347706_03.jpg

I'm getting a good feeling about this rock , that 3rd photo seems to show a roll-over melt ridge that could have been caused when it came through the Earths atmosphere at huge speed creating super high temperatures .

Would need to see the interior to be more accurate .

I'm more experienced with gold than meteorites, do you think i should give them a look at it at the Perth museum or somewhere else?

I have a suspicion that this stone has been knapped. One side looks very much like a knapped scraping stone, but that is not saying it is not a meteorite, just that someone else may have found it before you, converted it and used it as an implement.

EVIE/BEE said:
I'm more experienced with gold than meteorites, do you think i should give them a look at it at the Perth museum or somewhere else?

Sure ' have some knowledgeable meteorite collectors have a look at it , for it to be a officially recognized as a meteorite ~ classification is required .
Now this is where I have to be a bit guarded in what I say because of the law of ownership and control of meteorites in Australia .

As far as I know only in NSW meteorites can be found , kept & sold on but not exported without a permit .