Is the crypto boom & bust just part of 'every bubble being pricked' in wider market sell-off?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I assume you mean the small shareholders - a majority of shareholders had to vote in favour if it was a public company. Of course that can occur by the incoming company buying a majority of the shares. There are risks in capitalism - but you might not have got a third back if it was not taken over. Other economic systems are often much worse - China got taken for a ride in central Africa with some copper mines (i.e. few people making decisions and no shareholders to check what is happening).
Glencoe had bought the majority of shares which gave small shareholders like me no option, they acquired my shares because I had no say in whether I wanted to keep them or not, and the mine was reopened a few years later and no doubt is still generating plenty of cash for them now.

Glencoe had bought the majority of shares which gave small shareholders like me no option, they acquired my shares because I had no say in whether I wanted to keep them or not, and the mine was reopened a few years later and no doubt is still generating plenty of cash for them now.
Yep, I was simply commenting on your comment re shareholders having no say - it is the minority shareholders (and often it affects them more). What was the mine?

If a Western government tells me not to, or bans me from hoarding gold, I know it's a good idea... and if they want to confiscate it they will need one of those long range 'gold radars' to find it!

If a Western government tells me not to, or bans me from hoarding gold, I know it's a good idea... and if they want to confiscate it they will need one of those long range 'gold radars' to find it!
The trouble with that, other than the high risk, is what use will it be to you in that case? Noone will buy it from you except the government at their price, so you cannot use it for 15 to 40 years while it gathers dust. The whole purpose of having it is to have a negotiable asset when currencies collapse - but the instant you try and sell even an ounce you are in trouble..perhaps deep trouble.

It sort of defeats the whole purpose of having it.....

I think it was Glencore that bought the company out and shareholders never had a say, I never would have sold the shares if I had a choice. Capitalist Bastards 🤣
Just too many of our company directors and most shareholders (traders) are focused on quick profits and let long term assets slip through their fingers for bargain prices. The large companies that have that long term view just swallow them up. They probably have a number of the projects in the pipeline at any one time so can afford to wait for the right time to develop them.
The unfortunate thing is for those of us who own shares for a longer term view, we are forced out by the takeover and have to research other long term opportunities that may also be subject to takeover before the full investment potential is reached.

Just too many of our company directors and most shareholders (traders) are focused on quick profits and let long term assets slip through their fingers for bargain prices. The large companies that have that long term view just swallow them up. They probably have a number of the projects in the pipeline at any one time so can afford to wait for the right time to develop them.
The unfortunate thing is for those of us who own shares for a longer term view, we are forced out by the takeover and have to research other long term opportunities that may also be subject to takeover before the full investment potential is reached.
Yes, motivations can be different. But often the major holders have done more homework (eg might know that in the longer term the company does not have the assets to develop further or might even have a cash-flow crisis looming, which can be alleviated by a takeover by a better cashed up company. Conversely, the company doing the takeover would not do it if they did not think it was to their (and therefore as a consequence other shareholders) advantage). For example when a commodity price is crashing, the present company may know it cannot ride out the storm despite having major ore reserves for the long-term, whereas a better cashed-up company sees it can do so, so can take it over as a long-term asset. It is difficult to see why any company would purposely takeover a company so as to be at a disadvantage (and this would apply to all shareholders). Companies simply often get it wrong....

Yep, I was simply commenting on your comment re shareholders having no say - it is the minority shareholders (and often it affects them more). What was the mine?
I can't remember the name of the mine but the shares were Minara Resources and they were taken in a"compulsory acquisition" by Glencore Investments

so we have survived solely on fiat currencies for 87 years now.
87 years is a really short time compared to the thousands of years gold has been treasured and prized not only for money value.

And yes various governments made laws to suit there agenda to prop up there fiat currency by making gold illegal to own (except for a bit of jewellery) and by forcing the people to sell there gold to the government at their set price.

Eventually gold was restored to it's rightful place and people could once again own/buy/sell gold

What will happen in the future only time will tell, but gold and or silver will be around long after fiat currencies

cheers dave

The trouble with that, other than the high risk, is what use will it be to you in that case? Noone will buy it from you except the government at their price, so you cannot use it for 15 to 40 years while it gathers dust. The whole purpose of having it is to have a negotiable asset when currencies collapse - but the instant you try and sell even an ounce you are in trouble..perhaps deep trouble.

It sort of defeats the whole purpose of having it.....
I will buy it from him for $100 an ounce more than the government will pay him, and one day when it is reversed my black market acquired investment will see my boys or their boys wealthy.

I can't remember the name of the mine but the shares were Minara Resources and they were taken in a"compulsory acquisition" by Glencore Investments
If it was Murrin Murrin I would be crying. Now supplies 13% of world cobalt, the largest production outside the DRC! Prior to that DRC produced 94% of world cobalt I think and the rest of the world only 6% (Australia almost nil).
. Murrin Murrin took over from Anaconda Nickel and Glencore managed to get 75% of its shares before initiating a compulsory aquisition. I can understand your pain.

The compulsory acquisition of shares is a right under the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) (the Act). It gives a shareholder who holds at least 90% of the shares in a company the ability to compulsorily acquire the remaining shares. Consequently, the shareholder ends up with 100% of the shares.

So they have to acquire nearly all the shares first.

Last edited:
I will buy it from him for $100 an ounce more than the government will pay him, and one day when it is reversed my black market acquired investment will see my boys or their boys wealthy.
The slight problem being perhaps 10 years in gaol (it was illegal to buy, one could only sell and only to the government at the government price - and it was a criminal offence NOT to sell). One could risk hiding it away but the situation did not change for at least 13 years (40 years in the USA), by which time the emergency was past. In the USA it was a crime under the "Dealing with the enemy act", so a bit ominous. Ultimately in the USA the penalty was confiscation of the gold without any compensation, a fine equal to double the value of the confiscated gold, and gaol time - quite a lot to lose!

But who knows next time....? My own view is that it is better as an inflation hedge than putting it all into gold because of predicted currency collapses (gold should be part of any investment bundle).

Last edited:
There have been plenty of countries that have suffered economic collapses over the past century. eg. post-war Germany; Zimbabwe and Venezuela this century; Sri Lanka and Lebanon presently. I haven't heard of one where gold or silver proved useful as substitute currencies.

The development of unofficial barter economies seems to be the typical public response, with popular reserve currencies being American cigarettes and scotch whisky.

If it was Murrin Murrin I would be crying. Now supplies 13% of world cobalt, the largest production outside the DRC! Prior to that DRC produced 94% of world cobalt I think and the rest of the world only 6% (Australia almost nil).
. Murrin Murrin took over from Anaconda Nickel and Glencore managed to get 75% of its shares before initiating a compulsory aquisition. I can understand your pain.

The compulsory acquisition of shares is a right under the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) (the Act). It gives a shareholder who holds at least 90% of the shares in a company the ability to compulsorily acquire the remaining shares. Consequently, the shareholder ends up with 100% of the shares.

So they have to acquire nearly all the shares first.
It was Murrin Murrin and at the time of the takeover it was very profitable, I was really peeved off as I thought the price I was paid for my shares was well below their actual value which has proved to be true.

There have been plenty of countries that have suffered economic collapses over the past century. eg. post-war Germany; Zimbabwe and Venezuela this century; Sri Lanka and Lebanon presently. I haven't heard of one where gold or silver proved useful as substitute currencies.

The development of unofficial barter economies seems to be the typical public response, with popular reserve currencies being American cigarettes and scotch whisky.
And American dollars

Or Rhodium AUD$21,000 per oz
Most of the platinum group metals are very valuable. But beware - 42 years ago my chemist better half had a research job of finding a USE for rhodium - because no one would buy it. It was used to plate fountain-pen nibs and the cheapest jewellery that you would buy at Coles.

A bit irrelevant - one of the world's tiniest economies (can hardly compare with the USA - you would not have personally noticed the collapse of its currency). Zimbabweans will not be using those coins to buy their groceries. Zimbabwe actually got on top of inflation by changing to the US dollar in 2009 (that great fiat currency) and only lost control when they returned to their own currency in June 2019.
"In 2020 they abandoned that and returned to the US dollar and other foreign currencies, and Inflation has been falling since August this year following tight monetary measures implemented by the government and monetary authorities". Nothing really to do with selling gold coins - most countries sell gold coins

"Zimbabwe’s introduction of gold coins as legal tender has little prospect of tackling the country’s chronic currency and purchasing-power weakness, economists say". Its aim is to increase the supply of US dollars (you can buy the coins from outside the country in US dollars) and thus pay off debts run up US dollar debts internally by the government within the country in that currency.

"The launch value of the new gold coin of $1,824 means that it will be of little use to most ordinary citizens...........(that is far more than the annual income of a Zimbabwean).........the coins in their current denomination are far too large to be used as a medium of exchange".

Where are they getting the gold? By making artisanal miners sell it to the government at government rates.....sound familiar? The total supply is limited to artisanal gold production. Total annual value of all Zimbabwean gold production is around 18 tonnes (a few hundred thousand ounces) and much of that is not artisanal (up from only 7 tonne - 220,000 oz - i, and they cannot buy gold from other countries.n 2007). The value of gold coins minted is tiny.

So same story - if you have gold the government wants it from you in times of crisis.

Imagine 500 billion percent inflation!

"Zimbabwe is enduring its second phase of high inflation, after the first peak of 500 billion percent, according to IMF figures, in September 2008. That hyperinflation phase ended when the country dollarised in 2009. The current phase was triggered by the re-introduction of a local currency in 2019".

Last edited:
The slight problem being perhaps 10 years in gaol (it was illegal to buy, one could only sell and only to the government at the government price - and it was a criminal offence NOT to sell). One could risk hiding it away but the situation did not change for at least 13 years (40 years in the USA), by which time the emergency was past. In the USA it was a crime under the "Dealing with the enemy act", so a bit ominous. Ultimately in the USA the penalty was confiscation of the gold without any compensation, a fine equal to double the value of the confiscated gold, and gaol time - quite a lot to lose!

But who knows next time....? My own view is that it is better as an inflation hedge than putting it all into gold because of predicted currency collapses (gold should be part of any investment bundle).
Gold has continuously been hoarded, bought and sold even when it was illegal to do so just like alcohol during prohibition, drugs now and firearms since 1996. Many are prepared to take that risk. To confiscate it first they need to know you have it and secondly where you hide it.

Latest posts