Is it illegal to use CB or UHF while driving?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can use a CB Radio but it is my understanding it must be fixed to the vehicle not a hand held.

Also there is another bit of legislation for electronic devices or to that effect that people have been done for.
If a passenger is watching a video etc on a laptop, phone or other device and the driver can see the screen the police officer can deem it to be a distraction and issue a penalty notice.

when they say you are not permitted to touch the phone if its not in the cradle, it is exactly that.
If the phone falls out of the cradle do not pick it up or touch it in any way unless you are actually parked, not just stopped.

Nothing worse than a loose stubby rolling around and getting stuck under the brake peddle. Cans are ok as you just put ya foot down harder and all good.

Bloody rear passengers can cause all sorts of problems, when they just drop shite on the floor. LOL

I'd like to see where a "handheld" is not ok. :)

My in car has a hidden control box wired to car power and an external antenna. The microphone has all of the controls on it, so it effectively has the same controls at the finger tips as my handheld. The handheld has an internal battery, but I also have a 12 VDC adapter to charge or power it, so still tied to the car by a coiled cable.

Might have to dig around the legislation to check, lol.

Taken from the S.A. Australian Road Rules

(1) The driver of a vehicle must not use a mobile phone while the vehicle is moving, ... "mobile phone" does not include a CB radio or any other two-way radio; ... For South Australia, in addition to this rule, see regulation 44 of the Road Traffic ...

I would consider a handheld both CB and any other 2 way radio :)

police and emergency service have exemption under law, there been trained i asked How When and where can anyone do the course ??

Ever since they removed personal liability from police officers you can get charged for almost anything at the discretion of the police officer.
You are forced to take it to court and fight it.
We are surrounded by so much frivolous legislation to combat stupidity, it boggles.

Here in QLD, its a BIG YES... same classification as a Mobile Phone... That's why Uniden has bought out their little Push-to-talk Feature... it mounts on the steering wheel and is OK to use... New cars have the stereo controls on the steering wheel now as well for this same reason.....

The latest Maccas add with the Truckie using his UHF has caused some Complaints...

Uncle 'Pat' has been proven wrong on many occasions... {)

LW...

LoneWolf said:
Here in QLD, its a BIG YES... same classification as a Mobile Phone... That's why Uniden has bought out their little Push-to-talk Feature... it mounts on the steering wheel and is OK to use... New cars have the stereo controls on the steering wheel now as well for this same reason.....

The latest Maccas add with the Truckie using his UHF has caused some Complaints...

LW...
According to this link https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/safety/road-safety/mobile-phones the mobile phone rules don't apply to CB radios or any other two-way radios in QLD.

If you have a link to any other guidance that suggests otherwise, could you please post the link?

western queensland some have been done for a hand held type while driving maybe law or not just up to the cop on the day and how they interpret the law and more likely if they like you or not

bicter said:
LoneWolf said:

LW...
According to this link https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/safety/road-safety/mobile-phones the mobile phone rules don't apply to CB radios or any other two-way radios in QLD.

If you have a link to any other guidance that suggests otherwise, could you please post the link?

Like in NSW, there may be electronic device or distraction legislation.

It would read something like this, "if the police officer thinks you have been distracted or done something wrong, you are guilty!".

I have always thought they come under the Mobile Phone Laws, that's why I said Yes.. Guess I might be wrong then... I will ask a Cop mate and see what He says... But I think Decoy is correct as well... Depends on the Cop... Interesting...

And I have been hiding my Mic for years for no reason... Lol..

LW...

The point I see across the board is, whilst it is legal to use a UHF

"A driver could face prosecution while using the radio if its use caused a distraction or affected the standard of driving." This applies to handheld UHF or the microphone of an in car.

This is where the law is open to the interpretation/opinion of a Police Officer. If booked the onus is then on the driver to prove innocence.

If booked, you get a ticket, fine and demerit points. Guilty until proven innocent. So, your choice, pay the fine n suck it up, or spend a lot more money to maybe prove otherwise.

condor22 said:
The point I see across the board is, whilst it is legal to use a UHF

"A driver could face prosecution while using the radio if its use caused a distraction or affected the standard of driving." This applies to handheld UHF or the microphone of an in car.

This is where the law is open to the interpretation/opinion of a Police Officer. If booked the onus is then on the driver to prove innocence.

If booked, you get a ticket, fine and demerit points. Guilty until proven innocent. So, your choice, pay the fine n suck it up, or spend a lot more money to maybe prove otherwise.

Wonder if they'll modify the laws to include UHF in cars :( No worries if they do... my car is 5.6t so I can tell them it's a truck :)

Good reason to have a dash cam if Cops say you're driving erratically :p

Latest posts