Intro & Question - Visiting Sydney end of this month

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'll be in Sydney at the end of this month for a short week. Are there any locations within a few hours where I could metal detect for gold or do some gem fossicking?

Coming out of Tokyo. I beach detect here. Sometimes head up into the mountains for relics. The beaches can produce some good finds with the right conditions here. But it's nothing like I read about in your lovely country. I'd really like to find some gold or especially gems in Australia. Honestly though, I'm a bit concerned traveling out by myself, because 1) wouldn't even know how to be careful when it comes to the wildlife in Australia. And 2) wouldn't want to find myself mistakenly on property where I shouldn't be.

Is there any place, frequently visited by others, where I could dig around in the dirt and not get into too much trouble? I see permits are extremely reasonable. Any thoughts?

A short week doesn't give you much time to travel, find a nice spot and fossick for gold or gems. Perhaps you only have time for a reconnaissance run so that next visit you can hit the ground running.

Thanks guys. Yeah, thought this would might be the case. Well hopefully can make my way out into one of the areas for a couple of days to have a look around. Kids are going to school there, so possibly future opportunities for longer trips.

Places you can research that are about 4.5 hours travel time from Sydney would be Stuart Town Ophir and Hill End.
But like others have mentioned, a week really is cutting it very close.
So is planning to do it by the end of this month.
If you had have given us a little bit more notice, i could have arranged to take you out to one of those places.
We have a vacant furnished house in Wellington NSW, where we could stay that is 30kms from Stuart Town , an hour to Ophir and 1.5 hours to Hill End .
My wife and lived in Utsunomiya back in the 90’s and our children went to school in Tokiwadai in 2010/2011

Last edited:
Yes it really is a beautiful place.
Nikko especially, hope to go back one day , so much to see and do..
Todd , next trip please send me a P.M so we can arrange to take you out for a pan and or detect 👍🏾

Yes it really is a beautiful place.
Nikko especially, hope to go back one day , so much to see and do..
Todd , next trip please send me a P.M so we can arrange to take you out for a pan and or detect 👍🏾
That's too kind. Will do. Agreed, Nikko is gorgeous. Love the straight ceder trees.

If you decide you want to travel to Box Hill, NSW let me know. I'm in Sydney and want to take out my new machine on gold fields.

If you decide you want to travel to Box Hill, NSW let me know. I'm in Sydney and want to take out my new machine on gold fields.
Hi Speedo, out of curiosity is this the same Box hill near Kenthurst area? I'm curious as this is very close to me and wondering where one could even dig or access a river/creek.

Latest posts