Inside the search mission for unique dinosaur fossils in Lightning Ridge

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting, especially because Jenni's tireless work (and that of colleagues Elizabeth Smith Ph.D. and Phil Bell U.N.E., Ph.D.) within the AOC have been vital in preserving and showcasing so many opalised fossils that are unique to Oz. 👍:).

Thanks for posting, especially because Jenni's tireless work (and that of colleagues Elizabeth Smith Ph.D. and Phil Bell U.N.E., Ph.D.) within the AOC have been vital in preserving and showcasing so many opalised fossils that are unique to Oz. 👍:).
I’ve posted a video of a piece of opal above that I think may be a fossil. I would like it to go to the right people, maybe you can help me? I often find interesting little pieces as well as the yabbie dots, I would love to be able to hand them to knowledgeable people

G'day Suskya,

That's a relatively easy overall ident on that piece. It's a largish piece of plant stem material and is fairly common out here as far as opalised fossil material goes. I have several pieces like that myself, ones I've dug and found over the years, though nothing of that size, mostly smaller bits and pieces.

As far as the actual plant identification, fern or tree etc. you would have to get in contact with a Paleontologist (like Phil Bell mentioned above) that works in the Cretaceous Era.

Hope that helps.
Kindest regards,
Shauno.

G'day Suskya,

That's a relatively easy overall ident on that piece. It's a largish piece of plant stem material and is fairly common out here as far as opalised fossil material goes. I have several pieces like that myself, ones I've dug and found over the years, though nothing of that size, mostly smaller bits and pieces.

As far as the actual plant identification, fern or tree etc. you would have to get in contact with a Paleontologist (like Phil Bell mentioned above) that works in the Cretaceous Era.

Hope that helps.
Kindest regards,
Shauno.
Thank You so much, nice to have a definite answer although I did think that’s what it was. I love it, such an interesting little piece, I never get tired of looking at opal 🙂 thank you Shauno, much appreciated

Latest posts