INSECT REPELLENT

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had a search through various sections of the Forum for advice on effective insect repellents. There is the occasional reference in passing in other topics, but couldn't find anything specific. Have seen "Bushman's" mentioned and of course "Aeroguard". Mozzies and flies are what I have in mind for deterring. Any advice welcome.

As Limpalot has mentioned, Natures Botanical Cream is our preferred repellent, can be obtained most anywhere including Animal Stock Food outlets. They use it for fly repellent on animals.
Use sparingly and flies leave you alone, so much so we rarely use fly nets.
Another tip; You have no doubt noticed that flies swarm onto any cuts and scratches, a light smear of cream on the cut and flies don't go anywhere near.

Check Nature's Botanical website, daughter just purchased a mixed pack with spray, cream & lotion, might even be cheaper than through horse outlets.
Cheers T.

1602205772_efe97fe9-ef5a-4f7d-84f7-8908045eb5d7_1_201_a.jpg

After getting eaten alive near Mosquito Gully in Moliagul earlier in the year, and realizing that I should have taken the hint from the place name, I bought some aeroguard to take with me, which happened to be the next trip in Rushworth just before the start of lockdown. There the Mozzies devoured the Aeroguard along with my arms and face with great gusto (I'm sure at one point I could hear a couple of hundred little burps, accompanied by lip smacking glee through the Sunray Pro Golds.....), until I put the mozzie net on my hat which saved my face.

I hadn't realized the damage done though until later when I got back home, and Mrs Deepseeker had a look at my back for me as it was itching all over like crazy. My back was covered in Mozzie bites in places in between where my harness and Camelbak were sitting. The buggers got me dozens of times through my shirt.

I've since bought some Aeroguard made specifically for spraying onto clothing, and so far that has helped when I douse myself (including my back) with that.

Wow Deepseeker, a Mosquito Gully I must remember to never go there as my blood is precious, to me that is, I hate them and bloody sandflies. I was once at McPhersons Creek near Wee Jasper before they closed it off and the March Flies were as big a houses and bite like sharks. Tried to have a sandwich but it got carried off by a squadron. Meanwhile my mug of water became a spa for the mongrels. I feel for ya mate. Someone told me that Avon Bath Oil worked on sandflies but apparently they are no longer around. Cheers
Mackka

Thanks for that, have never heard of them before but I will give Natures Botanical Cream a go. Not cheap, but getting something that works is what is important. Maybe use the Aeroguard spray for the clothes & Natures Botanical for the skin.

+1 for Natures Botanical

Mozzies never bother me much, I guess I must taste crap. So I dont know how it goes on them.

But its great for flies.

If theyre not to bad, I dont even put it on me, just a smear under the brim of my hat works a treat.

You can see them buzzing around you, they kind of zoom in do a Uie and go and annoy some one else.

Failed to mention, there is an ideal applicator to use to apply the botanical cream.
Using an empty roll on deodorant bottle, some have a screw top others just need a bread knife to flip the top off. Fill the bottle and refit roller. Now you can roll it on sparingly. Store the bottle roller end down and the cream keeps packed up against roller.

The best repellent I've used was a natural one. Can't remember the name, natures plantation or something, but it was only cheap, only a few dollars for 250ml or so. Bought it from an IGA on a camping trip, wasn't sure that it would work, but it was the only one left, all of the rid and aeroguard etc had been sold out. Turned out to be the best I've ever used. It had citrus, tea tree, a milky base, not sure what else. Kept mozzies and sandies away just as good as the others, and could also use it on bites, scratches, anything really. Didn't irritate the skin at all. It actually helped clear up rashes too. In the end I was using it for a lot of things, even on my hands as a barrier cream. It was about 10 years ago that I bought it, and have never seen it since. There are other natural ones, but they cost heaps, and no good. Thought about making my own maybe.

Latest posts