I got my new detector the other day!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bez

Reaction score
I got the X Terra gold pack and 15" coil.

I took it out for a test run today after work, just trying to get the hours in and to learn my new machine. I went to a spot where there was a mine listing on the google earth app but i couldn't get there because the was a water treatment plant with no access signs down the road i needed to take, so i went to a creek near by that had a big hill next to it with some qaurtz laying around.

I turned my detector on and straight away it was making noises everywhere, with every sweep everywhere i walked. Frustrated, i tried playing around with all the settings, ground balance, sensitivity etc, with no avail. Disappointed and and angry with myself with not learning how to setup up the machine properly i started walking back to my car, detector in hand still aimlessly swinging away, beeping with every step i took. And that's when all of the sudden i realised, it just clicked.. i was wearing steel capped boots, setting off the detector every time i stepped close to it... what a dickhead!!

Anyway long story short, i end up finding a couple beer cans below the surface and some small rocks with iron in them.

At least it's a start! I was feeling a bit sick today and there was a wild dog stalking me so i only went out for a bit over an hour before i went home.

Better luck next time :)

Happy detecting!

Rookie mistake Bez . You would be surprised how many get caught with the steel capped boots. Or even metal eyelets for the laces. It's all about learning your machine. Best of luck next time :)

Rod

Haha, it was pretty funny when i realised, and i was actually wondering how many other people had done the same thing.

Cheers guys!

Bez said:
Haha, it was pretty funny when i realised, and i was actually wondering how many other people had done the same thing.

Cheers guys!
There is a post hereabouts on steel capped boots. More common then you think ;)
I have seen YouTube vids where guys work out where the treasure is by swinging a handful of dirt over the coil to see if it's in the left or right hand. Stupid me forgot I had my wedding ring on :8

Hey Bez you"re on a good thing with the 705. I've also seen a guy get caught out by his aluminium eyelets on his shoes. Just remember it's all a learning curve mate. Most of all have fun!

Latest posts