I can't keep it a secret any longer

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamwalking

Peter
Reaction score
Hello to you all from Adelaide, the place I retreat to when I am not out dream walking and swinging a coil.
I was warned many years ago by my mother not to dream walk, she claimed that it would inevitably lead to my stumbling or tripping over, I thought I would test this theory while detecting, well all I can say is that I am not destined to be getting up off the ground with a glint in my eye mumbling words like "welcome stranger". so far the only things I have tripped over have been my own feet.

OK ... now before I am accused of fraudulantly dragging people into my self disclosure a with baited word like "Secret" I will confide with all who read my words and reveal to you my secret ...
"tonight I have joined Prospecting Australia".

I am not sure if it is a good thing or not.. my being so quiet here at the helm has had my wife come in twice and poke me in the ribs to see if I was still alive.
Anyway now that I am in a position where noone can interrupt, I will sprout a bit about myself.
My name is Peter, happily married to my first and only for what others call 2 life sentences, of late we have been spending time in the Golden Triangle specifically in the area of Dunolly staying at the Waanyarra Camp site. Often we can be seen like two hockey players, weilding sticks that occassional shreek out a sound that sends all, but the flies in every direction.

My detecting history dates back to 1979 when I bought my first detector.. it was a White's Coinmaster 5000 .. sold to me as the best GOLD detector money could buy ( $700 ) .. I paid so much for it that I could not let it go, so after its 3 days on the fields at Tibooburra finding a lot of junk it has slept in my shed till 8 months ago, reawaken when my sisters partner talked about his successes he had had some years earlier with a weird named machine "Minelab GPX 3500"
I pulled out and dusted off my Coinmaster... hummm .. 3 of the knobs has seized and would'nt turn... onto Gumtree... you beauty someone selling a faulty Coinmaster 5000 ( $100 ).. I jumped on it and within 10 minutes at home it was working again... only trouble is mine was still seized...out with the CRC.. Now I have 2 x Coinmaster 5000 collecting dust.
The reading started ... snapped up another machine... Minelab Advantage.... again had to do a bit of fixing .. all good now..... More reading.... what are thses PI machines I asked.
The bug to get out and use a detector was starting to take its hold.... bought a 4x4, caravan and now I go out with the wife who likes her Garrett Infinium LS (PI) machine and I with a Minelab GPX 5000. In the past 8 months have made 2 trips to Tiboorburra, 1 x Maryborough, 3 x Dunolly and soon again back to Vic and then the big one all through WA.

WHY AM I HERE ... well its like this, today while I was building a small amplifier to go inline with my headphones ( getting older and the hearing is not as good as it once was) I was peeking into a few forums for inspiration when it dawned on me that I have experiences and knowledge to share in exchange for the things I read that others have contributed ... so here I am.

G'day to you all.

G'day Peter and welcome to the forum. I am looking forward to seeing some pictures of your finds. Good luck with your search. :)

Thanx for the welcome gentlemen, and to Beagleboy I say.... I would love to post a pic or two or even 39 of the nuggets I have found. ... but I can't find a camera small enough to ZOOM in on them, guess you have to wait till I find a nugget that can be seen by the unaided eye of a camera. LOL.

Hi "Dreamwalking". I hope you found out that PI is Pulse Induction explained as:- the pulse rate or pulses per second (pps) refers to the number of high current pulses that occur over the time specified. Rates vary from a few hundred to several thousand per second: Generally, more pulses allow for a little better averaging and thus a little better signal to noise ratio, therefore work better over highly mineralised ground.However, a detector will have a tendency to consume more current with a higher pulse rate. A faster pulse rate doesn't mean a detector will detect small gold better. :p

Hello Peter,

Great into buddy and welcome. This truly is a fantastic forum, no thanks to Nugget and the support of the long termed people here.

I have no doubt you will enjoy your time in here.

Lambi

Welcome to the forum Peter glad to see that detecting is a disease you really never get it out of your system, i too started in 1978 with a compass detector was supposed to be better than yours, after bringing back more iron from the goldfields and smashing at least 2 hundred hot rocks apart and finding nothing my father took it of me and he detected with it for around 10 years
Then a few years ago a friend said he may buy a detector and boom the infection was back and im still searching for a full cure as it seems gold, coins and rare relics just make it worse
Welcome aboard

Looking forward to the "Welcome Peter" nugget. I'm sur you will find it now that you are no longer a stranger. ;)

certainly sounds like you have the same disease as the rest of us, isn't gold fever wonderful !!

Welcome

Welcome dream walking - nice intro. Wanyarra is a good site - still plenty of good ground in there all the way back to Dunolly. The 5000 is the way to go in that ground. Good luck. As for life sentences - I got mine done at only one but managed to keep the dog- she always hated the dog!!!

Welcome Dreamwalking. Great introduction.

Do you do much detecting around Adelaide. I've always headed up to Mt Crawford myself but am looking to head South soon.

There's lot's of fantastic information on this forum to gander at

Looking forward to seeing that NUGGET.

Again Welcome

Darryn

G'day again, once again thank you for the informative warm greetings,....

Jaros... yep I have a very good understanding of PI machines after many hours reading online.

The Duck .. I can well relate to you, it is as if we have been running parallel lives and didn't know about it until now...LOL.

Wally69 .. is a disease something you catch or are you born with it .. In my case I must have been born with it.. because at the age of 4 I was in big trouble when a council member took me to my parents lodging a complaint about my behaviour... I was found sitting on the edge of a road smashing with a hammer, bluestone to retrieve gold (fools gold - pyrites).. I had created a hugh hole in the bitumen...LOL.

Loamer... Waanyarra certainly is a great spot... hope to be going back there in a weeks time.

Hi Darryn ... I haven't as yet detected around the Adelaide Hills ... many years ago I did a drive bye tour on the Barrosa Goldfield to find it totally in the hands of private housing and I also checked out Snake Gully which to me at that time didn't look very favorable for detecting in my opinion... I haven't reassessed my opinions but I may have to on this forum, as for Mt Crawford I know its on the heels of Snake Gully but whether you find anything there I'll have to wait for your reply.

Wally69 said:
Looking forward to the "Welcome Peter" nugget. I'm sur you will find it now that you are no longer a stranger. ;)

certainly sounds like you have the same disease as the rest of us, isn't gold fever wonderful !!

Welcome

Hey that nugget will be the "Welcome Twapster Nugget"........sorry but I was here first and my name is also Peter!

Welcome aboard......its a great journey hope you have some good finds to tell us about, and some good experience and stories to share with all of us. We are all learning and as we learn its good to come back to the forum and tell everyone else, so they dont make the same mistakes, and more importantly do the right things to find those gold deposits and gemstone havens. They are still out there.

G'day Wally69, that Welcome Peter nugget might be closer than we think.... I am hoping to be heading to Dunnolly next week for 2 weeks, it all depends on weather and the feedback I gain on asking the forum patrons from that part of the world "is it a good time to be there or not" ?.

I guess I will have to adjudicate naming rights based on the best yarn that comes with the nugget.

Good luck out there Peters.

Wally69 ... I am sure I could put a yarn on the table that would curl your toes and leave them intwined like a fishing line gone wrong... BUT.. we will have to wait till I get back from my next trip.

Peter

Latest posts